another flop in sony's cap

rahulrrmodi Groupbie
rahulrrmodi
rahulrrmodi

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged
hi

following is my article from my blog

indian-telly-vision.blogspot.com

When KBC was launched almost a decade ago, it changed the fortune of Star Plus. But what is more important is that the other shows also managed to catch attention and kept the cash box jingling for star. Both Kyunki and Kahaani managed to keep the attention of the viewers glued to the channel even after 9 pm.

A decade later, KBC is back. And post the show, even they have come up with 2 fiction shows - Saas Bina Sasural and Tera mujhse Hai pehle Ka Nata Koi.(they even added the word saas to the name of their show) But nothing seems to be the same as it was a decade back. Though KBC has managed to sustain its loyal viewers its two fiction shows have not managed to climb up the Trp charts.

But once the flagship show end in December what will Sony 'bank' upon. (as Sameer Nair had once said, fiction is the staple diet for ant GEC) Lets talk about their show Saas Bina Sasuraal. The show in many ways is very different from a normal GEC show in terms of treatment. I personally loved the way the show is done. Be it the look of the characters or even the way the character of the protagonist has been sketched. ( i am still confused as to what is her name in the show -Dosti or Tanya?)

Dosti is no longer always dressed up in indian clothes. No longer is she docile and submissive. On the contrary her character is more upright and smart than the male lead Tez. She represents the metro city girl who uses words like yaar and idiot. She is chirpy and bubbly. She goes out to party and even speaks in english. Oh my God - i fainted seeing Dosti on Indian television screen. Though the story has a slight resemblance to the Kareena- Akshay starer Hulchul, yet its new for the television. In terms of story and treatment, the show definitely scores. And evidently the show has enough material to keep it running for quiet a few months without deviating from the central theme.

But in terms of production value the show loses out badly. Not only the camera is bad, even the set looks really sasta and old. ( though am sure the makers will claim that they were trying to be realistic) Also the screenplay is a bit loose. The makers need to tighten the screenplay and also looks for more plots to add drama in the episode. For how long can we see the issues coming up in their marriage when we already know that the two will be getting married.

Though the show scores in many places, on the whole the show does not have the potential to become a hit show in the coming days. I dont see this show becoming the next Kahaani. On the contrary i think show will have a very small set of loyal viewers. There are times when you cant explain what is wrong but you know that something is wrong. Same goes for Saas Bina Sasural. I like a lot of elements in the show. But on the whole i dont see the show going anywhere.

It will remain a Show bina Audience.....!!!!

Edited by rahulrrmodi - 05 December 2010 at 4:57am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

aloklucknowsonia122silvermoonlightbd670816

aloklucknow Groupbie
aloklucknow
aloklucknow

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged
hopefully after today's marriage this show might gear up
pakhara IF-Rockerz
pakhara
pakhara

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Haha, well I still love the show! Tongue

Edited by AishuJSKfan - 05 December 2010 at 9:34am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

scinerd

ram92 IF-Dazzler
ram92
ram92

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged
Its a light comedy family show. No bhari drama n illogical stories like kyunki or kahani. Its fun to watch with amazing star cast.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Hridipakhara

-Preetz- Coolbie
-Preetz-
-Preetz-

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged

@rahulrmodi: her name is taanya but people call her toasty as her mom ate a lot of toasts when she was pregnant.. 

i agree with ram92 that there's no bhari drama like kyunki or kahaani.. this show has just started and the main story is just about to start after their marriage..

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

bbbcccpakhara

bollywoodbabe1 IF-Dazzler
bollywoodbabe1
bollywoodbabe1

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged
I love this show! So funny and sweet!
Jenifer. IF-Sizzlerz
Jenifer.
Jenifer.

BollyCurry Director

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged

Nice write up of the show and although being a super huge fan of the show from day 1, I sadly agree.

I have this hate-love relationship with Sony. All the shows I watch, they all go down the drain. Yes, I think sometimes think I've cursed those shows too! So I'm very apprehensive about watching SBS because frankly, I love it!

SBS definately (and thankfully) has a storyline that's complete opposite to other shows out there. It is light, it is more realistic, it stimulates all sorts of emotions, the characters have original personalities, the female protagonist isn't a helpless damsel in distress, not a member in either family is 'evil' looking for rights on property etc. All in all, SBS is a breath of some damn good fresh air!

But, it airs on Sony who haven't been doing as well as they once did. No one wants to know about Sony anymore and I think there is where SBS will fall. Had it been on any other channel, the show would've been an uprising by now!

Also, I can't help but agree with the mention about the hidious camera angles. It's like they're trying to fim the whole show in one go! Plus, the pace so far has been terribly slow.

Now that TejYa are married, I'm hoping the show will pick up pace. Also, with the extensive promotion going into the show,
especially with this wedding, I'm hoping it will gain recognition it so rightly deserves. Sony desperately need a hit in the fiction area (besides the weekly CID) and this show has the potential. Promote it well, look after the audience request and voila! SBS will battle with the best as well!

PS - after KBC, Sony will be heavily relying on JDJ. Sony always has one show to defend it.
bbbccc IF-Dazzler
bbbccc
bbbccc

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged

I think according to title the story starts now, since she will now be "saas bina sasural" and there is huge scope of story and suspense already building up.

At Tej's home characters are very balanced between dadaji, Cheddi and Pashu. Brothers are very sweet and natural, it might follow some tracks of Satte pe satta and Bhrahmchari. I am looking forward to next track already.

Didn't follow the serial from very begining but since last 3-4 weeks and now even my hubby likes it, who literally hates any serial.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index