Mumbai vs. Delhi (Page 16)

Post Reply New Post

Page 16 of 19

leeseunggilove

IF-Rockerz

leeseunggilove

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:56am | IP Logged
uhhh i prefer liquor chocolatesROFL
yes u said it..ur a terrible role model...

well yeah u get mutton dosa and schezuan dosas in delhi too...bt the food front in delhi is more vast and has d global influence..mumbai has a lil south influence altho d vada paos r gud..no doubt in dat..bt paneer kulchas r betterWink

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mumbai vs. Delhi (Page 16)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by old-black-joe

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by souro

^^ Qwerty he is talking about restaurants and their names. And couldn't you find something better than vada pav. Is that even food. Dead It's only considered food by college students and young sales people who want to spend less on food so they can spend more on whiskey.

Don't say anything against Vada Pav!AngryLOL

Vada Pav is awesome! It is proper food according to me, just like a McDonald's meal and it is so damn tasty too! :D

You know some people may actually like the taste of it and may not be saving money to spend on whiskey instead.Confused

yeah, and justin beiber has talent. Wacko

Sarcasm or not, he does. You may not be able to see it or appreciate it, but that doesn't mean he isn't talented.
Although I believe that, I'm not a huge fan. Btw I hate whiskey, wonder what that makes me?

Okay, so you're Russian and like vodka. Tongue I'm not fond of alcohol and can't stand the smell of whiskey, it makes me nauseous. And I really don't understand why people like to drink beer. How on earth can someone enjoy drinking such bitter tasting water is beyond me. Confused

Back to food. Admit it miss, Mumbai is not that good when it comes to food. And no, vada pav, samosa pav, misel pav, pav bhaji, etc. are not proper food. Tongue I've tasted those things without the pav, they still don't taste anything exceptional but atleast far better than when had with that tasteless rubbery thing called pav.
Yes there are some good restaurants, but almost all serve some foreign cuisine, not indigenous to Maharashtra. The closest thing that one can call Mumbai's unique are the Parsi restaurants. But instead of flourishing, they are fast dwindling. I don't understand why they don't come out of town and open branches in Bandra Link road or in some malls.
Other than Parsi cuisine, you can name any other dish and there is a better version available in other cities. Take the example of biriyani. It's one of the most popular dishes in India. But biriyani in Mumbai is a joke. Have biriyani in a Kolkata restaurant or in Shadab hotel in Hyderabad, they are far better. I haven't had biriyani in Lucknow yet, but have heard that it's really good. Delhi may not be famous for biriyani but like any north Indian city, they serve good biriyani.

But there is one thing in which Mumbai easily scores higher than any other Indian city. Natural's icecream. It is extremely good. Pity it has such short shelf life. Else it would have easily become a favourite across the globe and I'm not exaggerating.

Russian? I guess I just learnt something new about myselfLOL
Oh man, the English, Irish and Scottish sure love their beer! Never travel on the tube after a football match at Wembley Stadium, the smell is nasty.Dead

Haha, for you guys it's not proper food. See, i've never been the type to like a dal chawal meal. I'm the kind of person that goes to parties simply to fill myself up with samosas, kachoris, dhokla's, batata vada's and all that kinda stuff. Honestly, believe it or not, I mostly skip the main meal. Oh and then I go straight to deserts. My nani makes the best Malpura's ever! Then there's the rest like Shrikhand, Gulab Jamun etc. Maybe this is why I like Mumbai and it's food so much. I'm not bothered too much about 'local cuisine', as long as it's good, tasty food I could care less about anything else.

It's hard to preserve some of those smaller restaurants, especially with such an increase in the amount of international food chains opening up in Mumbai. I went to a shop in Matunga and I promise you, every thing we get in the UK (Doritos, Hula Hoops, Mikado Chocolate Sticks, Milk Tray Chocolate, Toblerone, Starbucks Drinks etc), they had everything!! When I went 3/4 years ago, this definitely wasn't the case. However, the other smaller roadside food places that have been in business for so many years are still there and doing very well. Have you been to sandwizza in santacruz? There's mad queues there, all for a TOASTED SANDWICH!!LOLThere are many many great restaurants in Mumbai. I'm not talking strictly about Indian food, but Indo-Chinese, Italian, Lebanese etc. You just need to know the right places to go. Also, Biryani is bound to be made better in other states like Hyderabad. After all, they are internationally known for Hyderabadi Biryani right?WinkThough i'm sure the biryani in mumbai isn't as bad as you make out. Like I said, you just need to know the right places to go to.

Ok let's forget about food for a minute or two. I really don't think any other city in India can compete when it comes to festivals. Mumbaikars sure know how to celebrate in style!Cool

Taken from a forwarded e-mail:
"Woh Holi ki masti,
Woh Navratri ka Garba,
Woh Diwali ke patakhe aur Ganpati ka shor o sharaba."

Yeh hai Mumbai meri jaanSmile

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
- Should i start a food and cuisine discussion thread? Tongue

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

simi_1leeseunggilove

leeseunggilove

IF-Rockerz

leeseunggilove

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
i think dis thread has covered enuf of food..lol

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Hmm seems like the Mumbai Delhi discussion took a turn for food. Mmm hungry.

I'm shocked at statements that Mumbai is not good for food. I'm a total street food junkie, and there is no place in the world that dishes up street food like Mumbai.  Hot vada pavs are the most amazing thing ever, especially with the red chutney and mirchi. Love the rest of the street stuff too like misal pav, usal pav, dabeli, samosa pav etc. Then there is always the pani puris and chats and all. Guru Kripa has the best in all types of snack food. Oooh and then there is Frankie too. Even the street chinese is unique.

Yes, Mumbai does seem to have a lot more of the foreign cuisines than local ethnic restaurants. The Parsi restaurants are ethnic, but how could Souro forget all the Udipi restraurants in Kings circle area. I went to college at Ruia and the best thing in the world was Manis where they used to have unlimited chutney sambar with whatever you ordered. Kings Circle has good South Indian Thalis too.

Fusion cuisine is good in Bombay too - Chinese dosa.

As for alcohol - Heck I'm Goan and live in Wisconsin.

I used to hate beer, but for the past few years I've started trying some. Besides when you are a student on a budget, $2 pitchers are manna from heaven. I personally prefer darks like Guinnes. Man up boys, Man up!

Not a fan of whiskey, its too harsh for me - but Jack and Coke or Jack and Sprite works. Prefer vodka because its versatile and all pretty girlie drinks can be made with vodka - white chocolate martinis, cosmopolitans, raspberry or cranberry vodka. Whats good is one vodka cocktail is as good as a couple beers.

Those who are not fans of alcohol, may I suggest Dangerade. Take a bottle of Gatorade and pour out top 1/4 or 1/6. Replace with vodka. Mix lightly and you have a waterbottle for your hand bag. No alchohol smell, you alcohol taste, smells, drinks tastes just like Gatorade. You dont even know you are drinking.

PS: Don't listen to me. I'm a terrible role model.

Dabeli is very popular, yet I've never thought much of it.
AHH I FOUND A GURUKRIPA FAN!Big smile

They really are one of the best places to go for snack food. My nana knows the owners very well and they often come round to his place with loadsa snacks! :D I quite like Kailash Parbat too, not quite as good as Elco's though.

I'm trying to think of the name of the place that do really good Frankies. They've been there since I was born. I can't quite remember where it is, but it's right in front of a popular shoe shop-I don't remember if it's in front of City Walk or Metro shoes?ErmmTheir mutton frankies=HEAVEN! and I'm not even a fan of mutton!

I went to Udipi restaurant this time round! No idea how the place was so packed at 11pm on a weekday!ShockedI'm a hugeeeeee fan of filter coffee and no-one does better filter coffee than South Indians themselves. Cafe Madras and Mysore Cafe do the best filter coffee I've ever tasted! 

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged

Hmm Dia you reminded me of filter coffee. My grandmother is from Udipi itself. She used to make fresh filter coffee every day. Nothing beats freshly brewed filter coffee. You have to get proper South Indian coffee too for that. I miss that filter coffee.

Although, what I do love about USA is the coffee aisle. I go into the coffee aisle and just take a deep huff, it's like experiencing the rapture.

Btw, I hear Delhi can't serve up a proper filter coffee brew for the life of them.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Hmm Dia you reminded me of filter coffee. My grandmother is from Udipi itself. She used to make fresh filter coffee every day. Nothing beats freshly brewed filter coffee. You have to get proper South Indian coffee too for that. I miss that filter coffee.

Although, what I do love about USA is the coffee aisle. I go into the coffee aisle and just take a deep huff, it's like experiencing the rapture.

Btw, I hear Delhi can't serve up a proper filter coffee brew for the life of them.

I can't tell you the amount of times we've been to a South Indian restaurant down here, and my mum always orders filter coffee and every single time, she complains that they don't make it as well as the one from King Circle/MatungaLOL

I actually don't like coffee in general. Never liked cappuccinos, lattes etc yet I love cold coffee and filter coffee.

Haha I guess that's just one of many drawbacks :P

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

return_to_hades

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged

Your mom sure has good taste in coffee. They don't make it like they do in Kings Circle. We all will get along well. People with refined appreciation for filter coffee are precious gems.

On a side not on coffee, I heard about this coffee shop in NY I think that invented a drink that has 10 shots of espresso. The shop owner calls it 'po*n in a cup'. LOL We will have to see how it turns out, caffeine is legal and unregulated but even Starbucks refuses more than 6 shots of espresso. Even potent energy drinks don't have that much caffeine. That's like a mega brutal jolt of caffeine to your system. Some people can get a caffeine shock.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top