leeseunggilove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
i think dis thread has covered enuf of food..lol
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Hmm seems like the Mumbai Delhi discussion took a turn for food. Mmm hungry.

I'm shocked at statements that Mumbai is not good for food. I'm a total street food junkie, and there is no place in the world that dishes up street food like Mumbai.  Hot vada pavs are the most amazing thing ever, especially with the red chutney and mirchi. Love the rest of the street stuff too like misal pav, usal pav, dabeli, samosa pav etc. Then there is always the pani puris and chats and all. Guru Kripa has the best in all types of snack food. Oooh and then there is Frankie too. Even the street chinese is unique.

Yes, Mumbai does seem to have a lot more of the foreign cuisines than local ethnic restaurants. The Parsi restaurants are ethnic, but how could Souro forget all the Udipi restraurants in Kings circle area. I went to college at Ruia and the best thing in the world was Manis where they used to have unlimited chutney sambar with whatever you ordered. Kings Circle has good South Indian Thalis too.

Fusion cuisine is good in Bombay too - Chinese dosa.

As for alcohol - Heck I'm Goan and live in Wisconsin.

I used to hate beer, but for the past few years I've started trying some. Besides when you are a student on a budget, $2 pitchers are manna from heaven. I personally prefer darks like Guinnes. Man up boys, Man up!

Not a fan of whiskey, its too harsh for me - but Jack and Coke or Jack and Sprite works. Prefer vodka because its versatile and all pretty girlie drinks can be made with vodka - white chocolate martinis, cosmopolitans, raspberry or cranberry vodka. Whats good is one vodka cocktail is as good as a couple beers.

Those who are not fans of alcohol, may I suggest Dangerade. Take a bottle of Gatorade and pour out top 1/4 or 1/6. Replace with vodka. Mix lightly and you have a waterbottle for your hand bag. No alchohol smell, you alcohol taste, smells, drinks tastes just like Gatorade. You dont even know you are drinking.

PS: Don't listen to me. I'm a terrible role model.

Dabeli is very popular, yet I've never thought much of it.
AHH I FOUND A GURUKRIPA FAN!πŸ˜ƒ

They really are one of the best places to go for snack food. My nana knows the owners very well and they often come round to his place with loadsa snacks! :D I quite like Kailash Parbat too, not quite as good as Elco's though.

I'm trying to think of the name of the place that do really good Frankies. They've been there since I was born. I can't quite remember where it is, but it's right in front of a popular shoe shop-I don't remember if it's in front of City Walk or Metro shoes?πŸ€”Their mutton frankies=HEAVEN! and I'm not even a fan of mutton!

I went to Udipi restaurant this time round! No idea how the place was so packed at 11pm on a weekday!😲I'm a hugeeeeee fan of filter coffee and no-one does better filter coffee than South Indians themselves. Cafe Madras and Mysore Cafe do the best filter coffee I've ever tasted! 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Hmm Dia you reminded me of filter coffee. My grandmother is from Udipi itself. She used to make fresh filter coffee every day. Nothing beats freshly brewed filter coffee. You have to get proper South Indian coffee too for that. I miss that filter coffee.

Although, what I do love about USA is the coffee aisle. I go into the coffee aisle and just take a deep huff, it's like experiencing the rapture.

Btw, I hear Delhi can't serve up a proper filter coffee brew for the life of them.

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Hmm Dia you reminded me of filter coffee. My grandmother is from Udipi itself. She used to make fresh filter coffee every day. Nothing beats freshly brewed filter coffee. You have to get proper South Indian coffee too for that. I miss that filter coffee.

Although, what I do love about USA is the coffee aisle. I go into the coffee aisle and just take a deep huff, it's like experiencing the rapture.

Btw, I hear Delhi can't serve up a proper filter coffee brew for the life of them.

I can't tell you the amount of times we've been to a South Indian restaurant down here, and my mum always orders filter coffee and every single time, she complains that they don't make it as well as the one from King Circle/MatungaπŸ˜†

I actually don't like coffee in general. Never liked cappuccinos, lattes etc yet I love cold coffee and filter coffee.

Haha I guess that's just one of many drawbacks :P

Your mom sure has good taste in coffee. They don't make it like they do in Kings Circle. We all will get along well. People with refined appreciation for filter coffee are precious gems.

On a side not on coffee, I heard about this coffee shop in NY I think that invented a drink that has 10 shots of espresso. The shop owner calls it 'po*n in a cup'. πŸ˜† We will have to see how it turns out, caffeine is legal and unregulated but even Starbucks refuses more than 6 shots of espresso. Even potent energy drinks don't have that much caffeine. That's like a mega brutal jolt of caffeine to your system. Some people can get a caffeine shock.

U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
my opinion is going to be biased because I've practically lived in delhi all my life, so yes, it's delhi for me πŸ˜› I haven't really been to bombay minus a few quick visits, so from whatever little that I've seen, I think bombay is fast, attractive, intense and very very dirty. everyone works and everyone runs around, and there is no time for a breather at all.

delhi is alot more laid-back and chilled out πŸ˜› basically the total opposite of bombay in every aspect - slow, cultural, calm and cleaner. people have lots of time and money on their hands here and waste both of them without any guilt πŸ˜† 

basically, bombay has the perfect work culture while delhi has the perfect 'social' culture. although I will have to add that people in bombayare definitely more down-to-earth as compared to delhi. so everyone whose ambitious and wants to make big bucks should migrate to bombay while all the creative people should stay put in delhi (it offers a multitude of cultural/creative pursuits)

Neetz, long time no see in this part of the woods. *hugs* even though you are from that place called Delhi. How have you been?

Btw, you missed some prostitution fireworks. Were you not the one who lit that spark on DM last year around?

So Delhi is slow, boring, and total opposite of awesomeness that is Bombay. Thanks for the affirmation.

U-No-Poo thumbnail

Neetz, long time no see in this part of the woods. *hugs* even though you are from that place called Delhi. How have you been?

Btw, you missed some prostitution fireworks. Were you not the one who lit that spark on DM last year around?

So Delhi is slow, boring, and total opposite of awesomeness that is Bombay. Thanks for the affirmation.

yo RTH! I've been irritable and nasty, but otherwise good πŸ˜†

did I? it's been a long time since I visited this place so I might have, didn't know the fireworks had been ignited once again πŸ˜›

bombay is ultra fast and tiring too, totally opposite of coolness that is delhi πŸ˜›

Its all over hon, all over. Leave the bitterness and anger behind. πŸ˜›

So you've grown up in Delhi all the time. You sound more spunky, like you should be from Bombay.

U-No-Poo thumbnail

Its all over hon, all over. Leave the bitterness and anger behind. πŸ˜› I already have, I wouldn't have entered DM otherwise - one has to be baggage free to survive here πŸ˜›

So you've grown up in Delhi all the time. You sound more spunky, like you should be from Bombay. yes, pretty much. minus the few years that I spent in a boarding school. I think the spunk's come from there πŸ˜›