Mumbai vs. Delhi - Page 6

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I have. I'd have to pass there almost every day for 6 weeks every time we'd go out and then come back. Oh and my grandad works for one of the medical clinics in the area too.

I can guarantee you that I haven't come across a smell that is worse than the one when you pass Dharavi๐ŸคขThis isn't related to the topic but the one thing that I never understood is that why right in the centre of Dharavi there is a massive Pakistani flag.๐Ÿ˜•

@debayon: I'm guessing you're referring to Mumbai domestic airport and not the international airport right? I've always thought Mumbai International Airport needs a lot of work. In fact this time round they've extended quite a bit and they've got so much work going on right outside the airport, but it's the inside which needs to be more developed. On the other hand, Mumbai domestic airport is surprisingly really good! The facilities, cleanliness and just the general look of it is of a pretty high standard. 

Can I just say that despite all of Mumbai's drawbacks, I love the city to bits! <3

You misunderstood me. I was talking about the interior of the slum, the narrow bylanes that are there. Of course it'll be smelly if you pass by that area, afterall there is Mithi river just on the other side of the road, serving as an illegal dump ground for a major part of the city.

Massive Pakistan flag?? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ I've heard that Bandra East slums are notorious for supporting Pakistan but I haven't seen any Pakistani flag in that area till now (not that I go there everyday). Are you sure it was Pakistani flag and not just the green flag with star and crescent that muslims use??

Originally posted by souro

You misunderstood me. I was talking about the interior of the slum, the narrow bylanes that are there. Of course it'll be smelly if you pass by that area, afterall there is Mithi river just on the other side of the road, serving as an illegal dump ground for a major part of the city.

Massive Pakistan flag?? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ I've heard that Bandra East slums are notorious for supporting Pakistan but I haven't seen any Pakistani flag in that area till now (not that I go there everyday). Are you sure it was Pakistani flag and not just the green flag with star and crescent that muslims use??

You mean actually walk down those lanes? Then nope, and I would never want to either. The conditions are really really bad. But we have driven on a motorcycle through some of the narrow roads down Dharavi, though I think you are talking about something else. It isn't just the river that causes that disgusting smell though souro, people treat the road as public toilets but the sad thing is that the government don't even do much to help those people.

Isn't the Islamic flag a little different to the Pakistani one? I'm pretty sure it was the Pakistani flag but I may be wrong.

On a lighter note, talking about Bandra I remember when I was making my way there once for a bit of shopping, there was an auto rickshaw in front of us and at the back of it was written 'Only 3 idiots allowed'๐Ÿ˜†Although that'll never stop me and my cousins from going to the rickshaw wala's and asking them 'Bhaisaab 4 aadmi loge?'๐Ÿ˜›

Isn't the Islamic flag a little different to the Pakistani one? I'm pretty sure it was the Pakistani flag but I may be wrong.

The Islamic flag is very common in Dharavi areas.

I doubt people in Mumbai would let a large Pakistani flag fly free like that.

On a lighter note, talking about Bandra I remember when I was making my way there once for a bit of shopping, there was an auto rickshaw in front of us and at the back of it was written 'Only 3 idiots allowed'๐Ÿ˜†Although that'll never stop me and my cousins from going to the rickshaw wala's and asking them 'Bhaisaab 4 aadmi loge?'๐Ÿ˜›

Haha, its a bummer no rickshaws beyond Sion.

Some of my best Bombay memories are haggling with rickshawallahs and bus conductors for chutta. I even remember going to movies in Vashi with sometimes 4-6 of us crammed in rickshaw. We won't even ask - just pile in and say theater. ๐Ÿ˜†

So has any Bombaiyya person blacked tickets? ๐Ÿ˜›

Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago
Originally posted by old-black-joe

I think these have the best lyrics:  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Jana-Gana-Mana-Adhinayaka, Jaya He
Bharata-Bhagya-Vidhata
Punjab-Sindhu-Gujarata-Maratha
Dravida-Utkala-Banga
Vindhya-Himachala-Yamuna-Ganga
Uchchhala-Jaladhi Taranga
Tava Subha Name Jage
Tava Subha Ashisa Mage

Gahe Tava Jaya Gatha.
Jana-Gana-Mangala Dayaka, Jaya He
Bharata-Bhagya-Vidhata,
Jaya He, Jaya He, Jaya He,
Jaya Jaya Jaya, Jaya He

Nice to see your patriotic sides OBJ.

If anyone doubted it, this topic is just for lighthearted fun. Its fun sometimes to battle our beloved cities and hometown.

But I'm sure we all are Indians and love all of India equally. Whichever parts I have traveled to, I've loved and enjoyed it. I've always been bummed of not going to the North and would love to visit Delhi and the surrounding areas someday.

But yeah you still can't take the Bombay out of a Bombayite. ๐Ÿ˜Š
But I still feel I'm betraying my hometown.  Par mein toh sach bol raha hoon
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The Islamic flag is very common in Dharavi areas.

I doubt people in Mumbai would let a large Pakistani flag fly free like that.

Haha, its a bummer no rickshaws beyond Sion.

Some of my best Bombay memories are haggling with rickshawallahs and bus conductors for chutta. I even remember going to movies in Vashi with sometimes 4-6 of us crammed in rickshaw. We won't even ask - just pile in and say theater. ๐Ÿ˜†

So has any Bombaiyya person blacked tickets? ๐Ÿ˜›

Ahh RTH that has always annoyed me too! No  auto's in Sion grr! You have to catch a taxi to Dharavi and then catch an auto from there. It always frustrates me, especially since I have a thing for autos.๐Ÿ˜›

Have you seen the new AC wale taxis btw? Pretty cool, but totally not worth the price they charge. Oh and all of Mumbai taxis are being replaced at the moment with a newer model. I love the way my mum haggles with the rickshaw and taxi wala's, she'll spend crazy money on buying saree's but she'll fight for a couple of rupees with a taxiwala๐Ÿ˜†

My mum has bought black tickets back when she was a kid. The best thing about the cinemas in India is that they don't even cost a quarter of the price we have to pay here! Over here I have to think twice and read a couple of reviews before persuading myself that the movie is good enough to spend 7 on! Hell, even the salon ladies only charge some 24rs for threading๐Ÿ˜†

All this Mumbai talk has made me have Vada Pav cravings! lol
Where the Delhiites at? I wanna discuss my city too!๐Ÿ˜› Gosh, what is happening to me, I'm turning into a chatty freak
Originally posted by debayon

Where the Delhiites at? I wanna discuss my city too!๐Ÿ˜› Gosh, what is happening to me, I'm turning into a chatty freak
trying to make "some" selling point with the ruins of qila rai pithora...๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Originally posted by old-black-joe

mumbai and delhi both suck. Chennai kicks their sad , sorry a$$es any day.

jk ๐Ÿ˜†

never been to bombay, heard from some it was extremely rich and classy, heard from some that is was cheap and crass and rude and dangerous.

But since rafi sang a song about mumbai and not delhi, then surely mumbai has to be a better city.

Chennai is a nice city. too many hicks, though. But it has enoguh shops and stuff. Mumbai seems to be well developed, though I feel buying a house costs too much : / Still, I would like to go there some day.

However the city closest to my heart is coimbatore, where I spent the first 6 years of my childhood. I remember it clearly. Nice cool weather, empty roads, those brit shows in the morning, star trek in the evening, going to the club with my parents and friends, watching video tapes of the lion king, snow white , watching those nursery rhymes cassettes,swimming, playing at my friends place with his dog. Aaah, what I wouldnt do to relive those years.

wheres chennai... !!!???
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Shola ji, the crime, the tough and all that jazz is what appeals to me about Bombay. Its about the unity in diversity, the survival in adversity, the resilience of people to bounce back after anything.

These traits are there in all Indians - not just mumbai-ites.  Life goes on irrespective of the hardships, the terror attacks, the natural calamities, the political tod-phod all over India.

As far as unity in diversity goes - Mumbai is losing its luster there.  You must have noticed the hate wave against North Indians recently.  In the 70's, south-indians went through the same ordeal in Mumbai.  On the other hand, Delhi welcomes one and all with open arms. 

One great thing about Mumbai that I noticed when I visited the city this time and about 18 years ago - it is safer to roam around - even after dark.  Delhi is really bad when it comes to women venturing out even in the broad daylight.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago