Mythological Masti

Favorite Pandav from Mahabharat and why?? - Page 3

Poll

Who is your favorite Pandav from the Mahabharat??

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: _Vrish_

Some of the above criticisms of Yudhisthir - like why did he fight for his kingdom - are way over the top, and arguments that can only be made by pro-Kaurava people.  

Yes. I agree with your point. And glad you read the entire post with such interest and depth.

Since I haven't read what Yudhisthir haters elsewhere had to write, I can't comment on that, but I'll still maintain that it's perfectly possible to critique him w/o being obnoxious (however, insulting him, like calling him a coward, is fair game, if one can demonstrate that from his actions)

Again I agree that he was not a perfect human being (not a single Pandav for that matter and despite known as dharmaraj, was prone to mistakes, shortcomings and weaknesses. I didn't post that article link because it was extremely biased one and hence not worth posting. But the link of that blog is still there in Orkut thread.

My criticism of Yudhisthir comes from the following:
  • The Gandharva incident - if it was so important to save the Kauravas b'cos they were 'blood-relatives and the Gandharvas were outsiders' (this was the reason Yudhisthir gave Bhima & Arjun, who were happy @ the developments: what BS - in the Kurukshetra war, kingdoms like Matsya, Chedi, Magadha, Kekaya et al were outsiders, whereas Bheeshma, the Kauravas themselves, were family), why didn't St Yudhisthir himself go into battle w/ Chitrasena, instead of forcing his unwilling bros to go?  Too busy w/ his precious yagna?  Total hypocrite - would take a unpopular stand, and send his brothers to do the deed, instead of doing it himself.  And I daresay a coward as well - was he afraid of facing Chitrasena?
Yes I have difficulty to accept his needless goodness here in this incident. As someone else was punishing Duryodhan for his wrong deed, he could have remained neutral. I don't know about the epic but in the serial he showed readiness to go himself (possibly BRC's interpretation) if Arjun-Bheem were not ready to go to save Duryodhan and Bheem accepted it as he wanted to punish Duryodhan himself to fulfill his oath. Also as per the serial, he was determined to undergo exile himself alone and others only joined him voluntarily. Exile was only given to him and he was in no mood to twist the shaastra 13 days = 13 years for his personal benefit and took the exile as his penance. He did his best to forgive the relatives and did he best for the peace in the family. Later on he had no choice but to fight against relatives as he had to maintain balance between two parties. After fulfilling the condition of 13 years, he couldn't stick to his personal policy of forgiveness when his industrious and deserving powerful brothers were undergoing pains with him. For them also, he had to ask the kingdom and for the justice to Draupadi eventually at the right time in the right manner. There was pressure for the war from all the sides. And he was still ready to do with only 5 villages. If he is guilty of waging war against relatives, it is those relatives who forced him to do so after long tolerance and patience by firstly doing injustice and then sticking to Kaurava's side under the reason of loyalty. In fact, when Yudhishthir committed finally himself for the war, that was absolutely necessary and required change in mindset of his peaceloving mentality. And it is not that he did it without undergoing penance sincerely.

• Draupadi's disrobing - I'll grant that Yudhisthir made a mistake in gambling his kingdom and brothers & wife, but where I do object - his preventing his brothers from protecting Draupadi from Dushashan, first when she was being dragged in, and later, when she was being disrobed.  Heck, he could have allowed them to beat up the Kauravas, and later done penance for breaking his vow, just like Indra did after kiling Vritra.  Combining this reaction of Yudhisthir's w/ his previous one, and he comes out as a total ethical retard

In Orkut, the topic of Yudhishthir was by product of actually a thread discussion on Draupadi's vastraharan. There was an article again which was posted and said that 'Draupadi was never disrobed'. She was only insulted by dragging her by hair. This was very objectively analysed with verse reference by the author. And if that is correct, one can say that Krishna's glory is not reduced at all by that (we can say that Krishna was still there present in the form of angry Bheem stopping further damage by uttering oath) but it certainly saves Pandavas and elders in the assembly from many criticisms.

Here is the link of that article:

• In the war itself, the reason the strategy on days 11-14 revolved around him was that if he was captured, he'd agree to play a game of dice on Shakuni's terms, and again lose.  As a result, the Pandavas had to plan their entire strategy on protecting him, and in the process, lost several of their best warriors, including the would-be Yuvraj Abhimanyu.  If this had not been a problem w/ Yudhisthir, or if Yudhisthir had said that for the good of his kingdom & his army (his lie to Drona was after all for the sole purpose of saving his army from being anhilated) he was not going to agree to a game if he was captured, but would simply hand over leadership to Bhima (let them try capturing him!!!) this tactic of Duryodhan would have been useless.  Also, if Yudhisthir had a command succession strategy whereby if he was killed or even captured, Bhima would be his successor as the Pandava king, such a strategy wouldn't even have been thought of by the Kauravas.

This is a very strong point I must say. It is worth reflecting over and thinking deep. Particularly the last sentence. He could have made Bheem the leader. Yes definitely right. So far as his decision to play dhyut is concerned, I guess he wanted to stick to morals of that time (when Dhyut was regarded as alternative to war to settle the land issues without blood bleeding) which can be regarded to be his weakness of interpreting dharma to be only rulebook dharma just like Bhishma rather than saving and protecting its essence in the world like Krishna. And he showed the glimpses to overcome that weakness of his in Ashwatthama incident.

• On the 17th day, Karna defeated Yudhisthir and captured & then released him, recalling his promise to that other coward Kunti.  Yudhisthir returned to his camp humiliated, and Krishna & Arjun came to see how he was.  He then berated Arjun for coming to see him w/o killing Karna, and even insulted his Gandhiva.  Arjun got infuriated @ his bow being insulted, and reminded him that nobody who insulted his bow lived to speak about it.  Krishna took him away telling him that they needed to fight Karna.  Point here - Yudhisthir can't do something himself, and then has the gall to insult someone who can for not doing it.
I think in this incident, both brothers misbehaved with each other during the moments of loss of control over mind due to excitement of the situation and insult felt and both also realized their mistakes later and repented for it after Krishna handling the situation with alternative logical solutions.

• In the RS Ramayan, Rama told Shatrughan that a king should always ride ahead of his army, to show them that he's willing to be the first to face danger, and protect them.  Yudhisthir, by contrast, instead of being a protector, had to be protected himself.  There is a simple word to describe him: c-o-w-a-r-d

I agree that king should be ahead but then the king should also be most powerful and resourceful. He was not the king by virtue of being powerful but by virtue of being most knowledgeable and wise of all brothers and resourceful in the form of Bheem's and Arjun's powers. He was king being eldest of the 5 and brothers were supposed to protect him not necessarily because he was coward but because he was not as capable in war as the other two brothers were. If leading the army leads to the defeat of the same army, that would have been greater harm to Bheem and Arjun who were more ambitious than the actual king and hence king had to let them lead in the war for the purpose of victory. Once the war is waged, the aim should be victory with involvement in strategy formulation. No crime in that if protection of self is equal to protection of dharma's victory. And he also acknowledges his brothers to be his helping hands & legs & eyes. A kshatriya should be always ready for sacrifice first I agree. But he was always confident on abilities of his brothers. As per the serial, he showed readiness to go to fight Bakasur also in Ekchakra nagri. I will try to check out the facts over here from the text.

• Pandu too was king, but instead of sending Bheeshma, he went on his conquests himself and made Hastinapur a big empire.  When Yudhisthir was crowned ruler of Indraprastha, he did nothing of that sort, but instead sent his brothers.
Very nice point once again. But I guess, previous point also covers the answer of this point.

Complex character indeed. Bheem therefore I voted also for the simplicity of understanding. No complexity involved in understanding his character and actions.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Just realized while answering your points that I missed out many contents of my Orkut posts in my previous post. lol. So I just continue that post of mine in inverted comma "" points replied to my friend at Orkut only after my friend acknowledging the reasoning of my posts. Sorry not finding enough time to edit the posts so better to post as they are.

"Thanks a lot brother.

By saying that I am successful in giving you the multiple possible view, at last I am fully satisfied that you acknowledged the LOGICAL PART of my effort rather than calling it just an excellent literary piece of ART work.😊 As I said, my objective was never to give you MY view (As I was not present in Dwapar and could not read people's mind and also have not read the epic fully) but A DIFFERENT POSSIBLE view (As different states of mind can lead to same action and harmonized way of thinking is necessary); I feel at this point itself I have succeeded. This acknowledgement of yours clearly shows that you have made an attempt to go through the logical arguments also and you are not close minded because close minded person is the person who only understands which he wants to understand.

Regarding calling Yudhishthir 'Dharm'-'raaj', well I can sense what you want to say now over here objectively. Yudhishthir was just a person who had good knowledge of dharma and that too gross one and not the subtle one. That's it and not icon of dharma. He was just known by that name by the people of THAT TIME unanimously only because nobody else bothered AS A KING (So Bhishma & Vidur excluded over here and Pandu ended his great going journey earlier) to implement DHARMA so vastly overall in the action as a RAJA. His attitude to run the kingdom is rewarded over here in his image and not few exceptional behaviors. He always tried to stick to dharma throughout major part of his life as AN ATTITUDE and missed a few critical goals so far as decision making is concerned (Like Kabir Khan missed against Pakistan in Hockey final ).

Without comparing Yudhishthir with Ram, I agree that if there is any real symbol (icon) of Dharma, it was Maryada Purushottam. He established dharma of a son, an elder brother, a husband, a friend, a kshatriya, a king and above all sanaatan dharma. But in Dwapar, he (Ram = Krishna) himself chooses Yudhishthir to be only the appropriate person to reconstruct the society, to carry forward the values to next era [(Like he selected the king in Matsyaavtaar) and not as a man setting examples of so many roles as he had already done that in Treta] and assuming himself even a greater role that of a leader and philosopher of universal dharma & great trio GKB (Gnyaan, Karma & Bhakti). In Buddhaavtaar, he even assumes bigger role - the icon of supreme state of spirituality which was an example not for a common man but for a very limited mass of upgraded souls (And people made it a separate religion of common man 😊).

Here one should be very clear first of all in one's own mind exactly for what reason one hates/dislikes/less likes Yudhishthir and should make it clear so that other person can accordingly counter comment.

If you don't like Yudhishthir because

(1) He was too much good unnecessary at times - Then ask first to yourself whether it is virtue or vice and whether it was consistently followed or not - Just Yes or No with reason.

(Kshama was even suggested by Krishna to Draupadi but over there you lack harmony - The one who himself has followed the virtue consistently in the past when injustice was done to him can only and always dare to console other person to follow that virtue irrespective of the hight of injustice done to that person - and disrobing happened itself is proven greatly debatable)

(2) He was a bad guy (Lusty, selfish, etc.) - Then ask first to yourself why Krishna supported him. Did Krishna support ADHARMA? - Just Yes or No with reason.

(3) He was pretending to be a better guy than he was (performer, actor, etc.) - Then ask first to yourself why Vidur, Bhishma, Dron, Krip all couldn't notice that when they did understand Shakuni very well. Was Yudhishthir wiser than Shakuni or Bhishma, Dron etc were biggest stupids? - Just Yes or No with reason.

On what grounds you are debating (1), (2) or (3) should be made clear. Because all three simultaneously can't be handled and not possible to exist in the mind of a person who logically dislikes him but only a biased guy can put forward all the three reasons together.

And reflecting over and answering of above three questions in yes or no is HARMONIZED APPROACH.

And let me define also empathy now. Empathy means to step into the shoes of the other person you are analyzing. Imagining and feeling his emotions, reactions to a situation and thinking about his possible state of mind while actually acting in some manner according to the consistency of his nature and character."

ShivangBuch thumbnail

My post at Orkut continue.... (similar to this view point of mine, Lola had posted an article in MB CC)

"Now let me try to explain Yudhishthir psychologically during dhyut (Not morally - Morally what he did was wrong which he admits and does the praayashchitt without compelling anybody else to do it with him and Krishna also acknowledges both - his wrong deed and praayashchitt.)

(1) He put his kingdom at stake: That was his first basic mistake rather than putting brothers on stake. You simply can't leave people (Who elected you to be their king) on mercy of a man who would be eager to exploit and avenge those civilions. But then he always wanted to avoid war (Blood bleeding) and dhyut in the serial is picturized as an alternative of war in which anyhow the kingdom had to be put at stake though not so easily but trusting on own powers.

(2) He put his brothers at stake: To win the kingdom, king sends first his warriors to fight. And winning the kingdom need not be for himself (His own lust). It would be his duty more than the right to take back the kingdom for those Hastinapur people who preferred to stay at Indraprastha. He simply could not put them at the mercy of Duryodhan as I said. It was his duty out of sense of guit to get back the kingdom to make justice with his brothers only who would have wanted it as they had toiled hard for its construction. And he used them only first to make justice to them. If at all there was mistake, it was of starting the gamble and gambling the kingdom first. If you consider it as an alternative of war, he just used his available weapons till the last one. He also gambled himself for his brothers (Now what lust overthere? He staked his freedom for his loyal brothers to maintain unity in any situation of life). I agree over here that brothers were not a commodity and that's why I said I am only going to try and explain his behaviour psychologically and not morally.

(3) He put Draupadi at stake: A big moral blunder. But then, logically, she had already become wife of slaves. What is the difference between slave and wife of slaves?

I mean what is the difference in a sense of freedom (I may be wrong in this so just asking) and status. And Pandavas always wanted to stay unite. And Draupadi was the greatest thread for that. Aur patni ka maan sammaan pati ke maan sammaan se alag thodi hai. When Yudhishthir put her at stake in strong motion of hold of dhyut (He had lost his sense completely at that time), he would absolutely have no idea out of innocence (As he came with a good intention of permanently winning the heart of Duryodhan and make peace forever) that Duryodhan & co. could do anyway near to their sister in law what they tried to do in front of all elders particularly in her state at that time. Aur daasi ke upar to swami ke adhikaar ki koi seema nahi hoti. Can it be applied to physical harassment also? If that was legal for das-dasi, then was that the culture of Kuruvansh/aaryavart 😔?

And if we are shocked with what he did, if one tries to empathize him, he was equally shocked. Poor fellow could not understand what was happening. More than the greed of kingdom, he had over confidence on his ability in the game like Duryodhan, Bheem, Karna and Arjun had on their powers. That was being broken consistently and he was going through the motion of guilty consciousness of losing earlier things and to square off those, he was risking to commit another guilt. He had never looked at kingdom to be his right on it. He always had the post of the king to be the servant of people. He always took it as his duty. And for this momentary flow of lack of control over mind, he did undergo repenting excile for which the so called BRAVE Duryodhan would never have dared. He would have killed himself and/or his MAMA.

If one starts looking at the "Kingdom" to be the "Responsibility" [towards people who put faith on you daring to bear the dislike of your enemy], rather than your "Property", then one would agree that to win it back is not your 'right' but it becomes your 'duty' towards your loving and beloved prajaa to save them from the ruling hands of that enemy which could revenge those civilians for not electing his kinghood. (Counter argument of lusty Yudhishthir).

Now these are all again positive POSSIBLE views I have thrown in your minds for Yudhishthir which you might never have thought. They are not necessarily correct views and they are also not my concluded opinions since I have already mentioned he is complex character to understand and I would better avoid to do."

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thank you for your responses.  I'm glad to see an objective analysis of Yudhisthir's actions, rather than just a boilerplate endorsement of anything & everything he did.  I largely accept many of the points you wrote - would have to revisit the ones where I might disagree.

Two things though.  I'd not use BRC's Mahabharat as authentic at all - he took major liberties w/ the story, and once one does that, who's to condemn Ekta or Peter Brooke?  No, I'd rather someone argue either from the texts, or from popular readings - even the ACKs are by & large okay.

The other thing - I don't think a Rama vs Yudhisthir comparison is fair @ all, since the former was divine and the latter wasn't.  And it drilled down to their actions - like Rama always was the warrior of last resort if his army couldn't handle the enemy, whether it was Kumbhakarna, Ravan or whoever.  In Panchavati, while Lakshman was protecting Sita, Rama took on the entire Rakshasha army and obliterated it.  Rama never needed - much less asked - his brothers to fight an enemy that he was capable of fighting (the battles w/ Kush & Luv over the Ashwamedha horse are fictional, and not there in Valmiki)  By contrast, Yudhisthir was easy to defeat and lost several battles to Drona, Karna.  He defeated Duryodhan in battles, but even in his battle w/ Shalya, it was similar to Abhimanyu's battle w/ the Kauravas.  Bhima, Nakul & Sahadev helped disarm Shalya, and when Shalya was on the ground, Yudhisthir speared him.  I don't fault Yudhisthir here, but his fighting prowess was way overrated.

In Yudhisthir's case, the way the battle was described in BRC when Drona tried to capture him was ludicrous - what happened on day 11 & 12 was that Drona was involved in fighting and killing several Pandava allies & warriors, including Drupad's sons Satrajit & Vikra, while Arjun was busy battling Bhagadatta.  Towards the end of 1 or both days, Drona did try to capture Yudhisthir, but Arjun intervened.  However, it's not correct that Drona defeated Nakul, Sahadev, Bhima & Yudhisthir himself b4 Arjun intervened, as shown in the serial.  After all, if Drona could defeat Bhima that easily then, how come he was worsted by Bhima on day 14?  But yeah, capturing Yudhisthir was a goal b'cos he could then be persuaded to play a game of dice on Shakuni's terms, while the bloodletting on the Kaurava side could stop.

But then again, if one were to compare Rama & Yudhisthir, can one even conceive of Rama being unable to defeat an enemy and being vulnerable to being captured unless Lakshman or Shatrughan intervened to save him?  But that's how it was w/ Yudhisthir.

Update: A good online reference to the Mahabharat can be found here

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/index.htm

Edited by _Vrish_ - 13 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail

Thank you for your responses.  I'm glad to see an objective analysis of Yudhisthir's actions, rather than just a boilerplate endorsement of anything & everything he did.  I largely accept many of the points you wrote - would have to revisit the ones where I might disagree.

Not at all. Sure. No problem. That is what we are here for. In debate, we are bound to have different opinions and views and we are bound to disagree. And by being aggressive and then giving response to others' aggression, we can bring out more defensive arguments which otherwise the person wouldn't have brought out despite knowing or believing. If we are open minded and still have independent judgmental abilities, objective debates help a lot in balancing each others' thinking and removing each others' wrong or biased beliefs. The rule of great debate should be "either convince or get convinced".

Two things though.  I'd not use BRC's Mahabharat as authentic at all - he took major liberties w/ the story, and once one does that, who's to condemn Ekta or Peter Brooke?  No, I'd rather someone argue either from the texts, or from popular readings - even the ACKs are by & large okay.

Yes. BRC MB had its inaccuracies but it also had great teachings through its interpolated dialogs also and very very extra ordinary interpretation of Bhagwad Geeta's essence and its Karmyog in all dialogs. Actually the Orkut community of this discussion is MB serial community rather than MB epic community. That's why in my responses to my friend, serial dialogs were quoted wherever anything was written in Hindi. I have not read the epic but I access KMG translation whenever I want to confirm about any specific event arising in the discussions or in mind. I would say for knowing about events, one should refer to text. But just like one can learn from any great message giving movie even, the serial has no wrong value to teach. It might misguide viewers about the characters' actual truth but what people will like in those characters will be good point only. I mean if Yudhishthir or Karna are shown to be greater or better in the serial than actual, people will like them more than they should but what they will like will be their virtues only (whether actually present or not). But while discussing in debate about a character, I prefer to come up with homework of epic.

But then again, if one were to compare Rama & Yudhisthir, can one even conceive of Rama being unable to defeat an enemy and being vulnerable to being captured unless Lakshman or Shatrughan intervened to save him?  But that's how it was w/ Yudhisthir.

OMG!! Please don't take me wrong over here otherwise all sisters in the forum would like to slap me.😆 Not at all. I haven't compared Ram with Yudhishthir. Being Ram's devotee, I couldn't do it obviously so in fact, I precisely had clarified that in the beginning of that paragraph. Putting 5 Pandavas together also wouldn't make them equal to Ramji for Ramji being Krishna only and divine incarnation of Lord. I actually only used Ramji's 'MARYADA PURUSHOTTAM' image to explain my point. Like Ram had that image and he actually was in all facets, Yudhishthir had the tag of 'DHARMRAJ' given by contemporary people (not in all facets but only as ruler of kingdom) of Dwapar. And that also not necessarily to be actually the follower of subtle dharma in all actions but being son of dharma and having that tag assigned, he should be having at least the constant mental attitude to do that and relatively to other kings (Krishna, Vidur & Bhishma therefore not considered), he should be wise enough to know all niti/policies of that time better. And Krishna who became ideal king (out of several other roles) as Ramji in previous birth chose Yudhishthir himself to carry forward good values to next generation (first generation of Kaliyug). Similar to he making Sugreev and Vibhishan the kings by removing their wrong doer brothers out of throne. Krishna also did that with Shishupal's and Jarasandh's sons. After defeating a king, winning the heart of the people of that kingdom by making their own original prince the king with generosity. The only difference is that Ram still remained the emperor - king of kings and Krishna never assumed that role. At the most we can compare Yudhisthir with Vibhishan in terms of situation but Vibhishan was chosen to rule only raakshasa race and Yudhisthir was chosen to rule the entire aaryaavarta. Anyway, that comparison also can't be made being the characters of different eras and also Vibhishan being very big big devotee also and a character simple to understand like most others in Ramayan. The point I was making is that Ram (Krishna) himself chose Yudhishthir for dharmasansthaapan (like choice of confusing mind of Arjun for Geetagyan to be given) to be the deserving ideal king; he should be dhaarmik in general (like Arjun should be character prone to unstable mind easily in general). I mean he may or may not be but as Krishna devotees, for all of us in the forum, either leaving Yudhisthir's character to be analyzed or trying to make our mind positive for Yudhishthir is more pacifying than doubting him.

Vr15h thumbnail
I apologize to Shivang - I overlooked this key phrase of yours while responding:

Without comparing Yudhishthir with Ram, I agree that if there is any real symbol (icon) of Dharma, it was Maryada Purushottam. He established dharma of a son, an elder brother, a husband, a friend, a kshatriya, a king and above all sanaatan dharma. But in Dwapar, he (Ram = Krishna) himself chooses Yudhishthir to be only the appropriate person to reconstruct the society, to carry forward the values to next era [(Like he selected the king in Matsyaavtaar) and not as a man setting examples of so many roles as he had already done that in Treta] and assuming himself even a greater role that of a leader and philosopher of universal dharma & great trio GKB (Gnyaan, Karma & Bhakti). In Buddhaavtaar, he even assumes bigger role - the icon of supreme state of spirituality which was an example not for a common man but for a very limited mass of upgraded souls (And people made it a separate religion of common man 😊).

ShivangBuch thumbnail

I apologize to Shivang - I overlooked this key phrase of yours while responding:

No problem Vrish. That's alright. I enjoyed discussing with you in this poll.

And I couldn't find in KMG text the incident of Gandharva kidnapping Duryodhan to find whether Yudhishthir himself was ready to go alone to save him or not. But I found the Bakasur incident. Yudhishthir didn't offer to go himself but only stopped Kunti to send Bheem as it would be like abandoning the son. That dialog was BRC's interpretation. But then he was convinced by Kunti that what Kunti was doing was wisdom and she had full confidence on Bheem's might. 
Vr15h thumbnail
When you go thru the whole KMG, you'll be virtually unable to tell the similarity b/w BRC and the original Mahabharat.  There was a renowned author who once wrote a several volume analysis of how BRC was totally distorted from the Mahabharat - I'll try fishing out that name, and telling you which - I'd have to mine the Ramayan forum for that info.

I know a lot of people admire the poetic license, but I don't, since it draws meanings that the original epics never intended.  Just like in the Ramayan, things like the Lakshman rekha, Ahalya turning into stone, Sita being abandoned by Lakshman in the jungles, Kush-Luv fighting Rama's army never happened, similarly a lot  of  things popularly thought to be in the Mahabharat never happened.   Yet, both BRC  & Peter Brooke took great liberties w/ the story, and when one does that, who's to fault Ekta for writing the Mahabharat out of whole cloth?

The above incident -  the Gandharvas did not abduct (not kidnap - that one does only to kids) Duryodhan due to his insulting a girl of theirs, as shown in the serial.  They were friends of the Pandavas, and they were camping @ the same place that the Kauravas wanted to camp, and that's what started the battle, which ended w/ the Gandharvas capturing the Kauravas, & their womenfolk.  Read the Ghosha-yatra Parva and you'll know what really happened.

ShivangBuch thumbnail
BRC MB is based on BORI research and I think it is not totally based on translation but many other research works of the organization (may or may not completely be based on Mahabharat but may also be parts taken from Harivansh as that is also part of BORI research and Mrityunjay - hopefully not the second one). They mention only BORI as the source in the title though and if BORI Mahabharat and KMG Mahabharat themselves are different, I am very puzzled how two translations of same Sanskrit origin can differ?😲 But anyway, BRC can't be compared with Ekta. Authenticity can't only be the yardstick I would say. BRC's intention was far more noble & knowledgerich (Not the knowledge of epic events or characters I am talking about but knowledge of life and essence of life & philosophy of Geeta - not totally covered but whatever covered is well interpreted & portrayed) and far non-commercial than the latter from what I can see and judge. They can't be put in the same category. And if you talk about poetic license vs authenticity of events, MB itself is a poem. But anyway. It's fine. I am not into this debate. I am happy with BRC's liberties as long as it favours the heros and not anti-heroes (both not correct but the former is better or less worse in general for people's learning). But I would still gradually like to correct the complexities and misconceptions about the characters (even elevation of Pandavas I would like to see as corrected eventually because I can see the serial objectively without being influenced by its characterization anyhow - But I will prefer elevation of Pandavas over elevation of Kauravas and Karna and even Bhishma perhaps). And at any stage if I feel it disturbs the devotion of Krishna, I will leave it. Regarding Ramayan, I have only seen the old serial and I would like to accept both VR and RCM for my devotion and also because of simplicity of characters, I prefer Ramayan over MB for devotion. I don't know whether this post of mine is subjective or objective but don't take it as counter argument this time but only as expression of personal approach towards epics and serials (so it is more subjective this time round I think so you may just take it as an exception if you found my post in general to be objective so far and need not defend yourself because yours previous post also conveyed your personal approach. Matter of individual choice and weights and priorities over here rather than who is right and who is wrong.).
Vr15h thumbnail
Ok, we do differ here - for me, authenticity is paramount.  If a show can't be true to the story, I have little use for it.  BRC seemed to me to be simply projecting BRC's own philosophy into the Mahabharat & changing the script wherever convenient.  That to me is unacceptable.

Here is one example.  At the end of the serial, when Bheeshma was giving his final bhashan to Yudhisthir, the main thing he talked about was maintaining the unity of the motherland, and how he was wrong in proposing partition.  That was not the main theme of the Shanti parva, and it was not even true: sometimes, if kings had more than one son, they'd sometimes either extend their kingdoms, or divide them between them.  Yayati, who was the ancestor of the entire Chandravansh, did precisely that - each of his 5 sons got kingdoms of their own so that they could establish dynasties in their names, but under his ancestry.  Outside the Chandravansh, Rama did both extend the empire - conquer other kingdoms for his nephews, and as for Kosala itself, he split it b/w Kush & Luv.  So what BRC projected Bheeshma as saying was more  of BRC's own political philosophy that partitioning a state is a bad idea, but in historical terms, that was very much the norm.  Today, when people talk about splitting Telengana, or Vidarbha, they are sometimes thought to be anti- their state, but in those times, splitting kingdoms b/w dynasties was very much the done thing.

I don't mind BRC telling the world what they thought should be the norm, but it's unacceptable that they project their views ahistorically onto ancient epics, that sometimes just downright fly in the face of what actually happened.