Woh Rehne Waali Mehlo Ki

Making a mockery out of rape!!

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

ugababe

ugababe

Posted: 25 November 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged
Do you guys think so many of our Indian TV shows make a mockery out of incidents like rape and violence against women?

If they want to show such social issues they should show the girl going through psychological and emotional pain along with having the courage to walk with their head held up high. 

Instead we see things such as a mom telling her daughter who will marry her now and saying crap about izzat and all. 

Why not show a girl that sees more in her life then who will and won't marry her. 

Indian shows always show women that have no backbone and are always portrayed as sad, submissive creatures instead of intelligent women with guts. 

I think todays media should encourage women to get an education, fight against social injustice and overcome obsticles. 

Cheers! 

Khushi

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

m001

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Making a mockery out of rape!!" in Woh Rehne Waali Mehlo Ki forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

samirah23

Goldie

samirah23

Posted: 25 November 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged
I don't think that this show is making a mockery of rape at all.  But, i think that what was shown in the reaction of the parents is what many parents in India would do:

1. Sweetie Buah doesn't want Dimple to testify because people will find out about her rape and it will be difficult to get her married - this is the mentality of many parents.
2. Sweetie Buah is concerned about Dimple's marriage after she is embarrassed in court - this is a typical reaction of parents especially Indian.
3. Shekhar doesn't want his daughter to get wrapped up in court of to be associated with the rape cause she won't get a good match - again, a common reaction of Indian parents ...

So, although they should pay more attention to the issue and the girl's mentality, it's true that the reaction of the parents is close to real life ...

I think that recently, Indians are starting to care less about reputation and more about doing what is right ... but it's taking a long time to get the majority of the population to think this way ...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

m001brainychild92

ugababe

ugababe

Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged
I'm not arguing the fact that there are parents out there that fear what society thinks or does in such situations. 

I'm just trying to imply that today's television industry and the media should make it a point to motivate women instead of discouraging them. Why not encourage mothers, wives, daughters and sisters to fight for justice instead always fear what society thinks. I know in India people always fear if something like this happens then what will people think about my daughter but this is what needs to change. 

Violence and Social injustice is a reality however why not show that a women can fight for justice. We have shows that start out with a good message but somehow the message is lost in love tracks and rain dances. 

Rani's character always fights for whats right and is shown to be a educated doctor yet she doesn't practice her profession nor does is she show intelligence enough to indicate that rape kits and DNA testing should be done after such an incident. 

Why show India's judical and medical system to be sooooooo stupid?

samirah23

Goldie

samirah23

Posted: 29 November 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
I think it's the writers who are uneducated about these things and therefore, write it this way.  But honestly, although we can show that women should stand up for themselves and seek justice for themselves, the reality that the show displays is that many families stop their daughters from seeking justice - in the end, there is a subtle message that injustice has been done to the girl.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top