Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

x.sunayna.x

IF-Dazzler

x.sunayna.x

Posted: 24 November 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged
I absoulutely loved The Red Tent ! Initially I wasn't to interested in it, but once I started I just couldn't put it down ! 

The Physician by Noah Gordon (another favourite), about a boy who is taken in as an apprentice - taught about medicine. He then travels all over Europe learning more. Its set in 1000 and something so the methods and beliefs are quite different from today.
^ A must read !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

simikr

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Historical Fiction!!..... (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sourpuss

IF-Dazzler

sourpuss

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 25 November 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged
I quite enjoy stories that have a blend of historical and present-day narratives. Kate Mosse is AWESOME for those. I started with Labyrinthe and moved on to Sepulchre, I honestly don't remember what those two were about but they were definitely way cool, I think they even had a little bit of magical mysticism in them.

Then there's Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen by...I can't remember which author, I'll edit this with her name once I remember. That one has three narratives interspersed with each other. One is Madame Proust, mother of Marcel Proust, whose narrative is told in diaries transcribed by the third narrator, a present-day translator who is translating Mme Proust's diaries. The second narrator is, if I remember correctly someone in WW2. Yeah, I think she's from France but she moves to Canada in WW2, gets adopted by a Canadian couple, and it's her life.

So yeah. Those are my suggestions! Embarrassed
Love,
Bhav (:

simikr

simikr

IF-Rockerz

simikr

Posted: 28 November 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged

Thanks!!

@ Bhav- I think I'll definitely pick up Kate Moss...was not sure whether I'd like her books or not.

@ sunayna- Yes, I've been rec The Physician by one other person as well..am having trouble finding the book though!

I have another couple of recs..

The Dante Club..Matthew Pearl's debut novel is set during the american civil war and is abt a series of murders which are based on Dante's Inferno- they are solved by a club formed by the famous trio of poets including Longfellow, Oliver wendall Holmes and James Russel Lowell who are in the process of translating dante's Divine Comedy. It's a fascinating book and I was particularly impressed by the way the author has shown the immensely close relationship between the 3 famous personas..

Then Of course The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova which is a modern and wonderful take on the story of Vlad Tepes/Count Dracula...not to be missed!!

Simi

Edited by simiv - 29 November 2010 at 5:35am

pooja_l

IF-Rockerz

pooja_l

Posted: 29 November 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged
Great topic and its even greater for me coz i have not laid my hands on any historical fiction at all, good to see the recommendations

simikr

simikr

IF-Rockerz

simikr

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by pooja_l

Great topic and its even greater for me coz i have not laid my hands on any historical fiction at all, good to see the recommendations
Do take it up, you'll never regret it!!Big smile

koolchick

IF-Rockerz

Requested Self ban

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

simikr

Post Reply New Post

Go to top