Malashetty

Goldie

Malashetty

Posted: 15 December 2005 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

'We walked out like winners'
Varun Badola on his ouster from the dance contest, 'Nach Baliye'

Spotlight

We refused a second chance on 'Nach Baliye': Varun

A lot is being said about the ouster of 'Nach Baliye' semi-finalists, Rajeshwari and Varun Badola. We spoke to Varun about the allegations and the special moments of 'Nach Baliye'.

There is a big debate brewing over your getting eliminated from 'Nach Baliye'. What do you have to say?
I wonder what the debate is about now because we started out well in the 9th round and after about 1 min 15 seconds of the song I went blank. It was not even that I forgot my steps, I didn't forget my steps. I have giving this explanation to far too many people who refuse to understand the difference between forgetting and blanking out. It's an actor's nightmare, blanking out. Had it been a play I would have taken a 10 seconds break and continued, but a 2 minutes song finishes in 2 minutes. Well it happens...
People feel that you should have given another chance? Were the judges a little too harsh on you?
Well, they did ask us for another chance and we were the first ones to refuse. We didn't want to grab on to the opportunity when it was presented to us upfront. Because I believe that such decisions are supposed to be made with some respect keeping in mind that once I blanked out on stage, the other two contestants automatically knew that they were in the finals. Without taking them into confidence and asking them or without a formal consensus, there was no way that we were going to perform again. It was not on our part, the channel also has a certain policy. Had I forgotten I wouldn't have been given another chance. Blanking is a technical snag, though human but still its not counted as a mistake. A competition is a competition, so they decided that it would be really unfair on the other contestants.

After all that hard work, brilliant performances and public support; do you think you would have won had you reached the finals? A lot of people felt you were the favourites.
To tell you frankly, I don't know what are chances would have been in the finals because in the nine rounds that we took part in we never had very many votes to boast of. Even in the comedy round we were fourth or fifth in the voting list. On certain occasions we were almost eliminated. We performed well to always get marks that would keep us in the competition. That was the only way that would have kept us in the competition, to dance well, come up with new concepts and ideas. That was exactly what we were doing, but we never had the public support. We never really backed ourselves and never really thought of the finals. We were taking one round at a time and the finals would have been just another round for us where we would have gone and performed to the best of our abilities and waited for India to decide.

Some people are also talking about the whole thing being staged. Your comments?
Well, I have a very simple answer to it. We were rehearsing till 4-4.30 in the morning at times as I would finish my shoot by 10.30 and reach the rehearsals by 11.30-12 and then rehearse till 2.30-3. For the 8th round in which we did 'Meri Jaan Maine Kaha'; because it was a 3 minute song, we ended up rehearsing till 4.30 in the morning. Now you don't put in so much effort to stage something. If I was to stage I wouldn't have put so many hours, I wouldn't have lost my sleep just to make it look more authentic. It's unfortunate as even I have got calls saying that you threw it up for money. No one is taking into account the rest of the 8 episodes that we did. Had we not danced well we would have to face the complaint of the people and now that we did dance well and got through to the ninth round, now we have to contend with people saying you threw it up. It hurts quite a bit.
Now who do you think will win the competition?
Frankly we are not even thinking about that. Not because we don't have any favourites but because when the line says 'India will decide' and when your performance will not be taken into account, then is there any point in having any favourites? I just hope that people don't get emotional while voting.
Tell us about your favourite 'Nach Baliye' moments?
Ummmm...the moment when Saroj ji came up to us and gave us that token; that will always remain one of the best moments of 'Nach Baliye'. Apart from that after we performed in the ninth round and Saroj ji asked us to do our act; we got a standing ovation from the judges. We have already shot for the tenth round. The finals will be performed live tomorrow, but we did a spoof for the tenth round. I personally made a spoof of the ninth round; I did a complete recap of whatever we have done in Nach Baliye. Before we did our act the moments we spent on stage with all the contestants and the audience cheering us and after we finished the act we again got a very kind ovation. We have been on a show which is the biggest show on television today and we really feel fortunate to be a part of it. But we have also walked out like winners. We didn't lose out to anyone, we lost to ourselves. We didn't get eliminated; we didn't get any marks so elimination word wasn't used for us in the ninth round. What more can one ask for?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "We refused a second chance on 'Nach Baliy" in Nach Baliye 4 forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

dewan_arun

dewan_arun

Posted: 16 December 2005 at 3:59am | IP Logged
Varun sounds really mature in this interview.

Even otherwise, I found him to be the least melodramatic in his behaviour esp when compared to the other participants.

No references to "My Daddy" etc. anytime. Even when he won the award for best male performance yesterday, his acceptance speech was:

"I'll keep it short... Thank you, Rajiv. Thank you, Rajeshwari"

Clap Clap Clap

ashita_tweety

Goldie

ashita_tweety

Posted: 16 December 2005 at 5:12am | IP Logged

Originally posted by dewan_arun

Varun sounds really mature in this interview.

Even otherwise, I found him to be the least melodramatic in his behaviour esp when compared to the other participants.

No references to "My Daddy" etc. anytime. Even when he won the award for best male performance yesterday, his acceptance speech was:

"I'll keep it short... Thank you, Rajiv. Thank you, Rajeshwari"

Clap Clap Clap

tru i agree with u he was reeeeely mature

and over all a nice person

ashi

ashiandyuvirock

IF-Dazzler

ashiandyuvirock

Posted: 16 December 2005 at 5:58am | IP Logged
Ya! It's good he kept it short unlike others Dead And yes, it sounded very mature! Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top