Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged
DM seems to have lost its spirit ! Lets see if we can revive it in this festive season Tongue

The festive season has started in India. It just struck me that we have a number of festivals in our country and each one associated with its own significanc and rituals. Over the period of time some rituals have been modified and some have been done away with.

In the rat race today, has the spirit of  festivity diminished ?
Are they still relevant ?
Do you still celebrate the festivals with as much gaiety as your parents did?
Do you think the tradition of celebrations should continue ?
Why or why not ?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Festivals: To celebrate or not ?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged

Yes, the spirit of festivity has diminished to a large extent because of smaller families and busy lifestyle. Gone are the days when everyone used to visit their granparents' house and the hosue used to be full with uncles and aunts and cousins and have a gala time.

They are relevant...definitely festivals are part of our culture and we need to celebrate them.

No. As I mentioned above, families are smaller and there are fewer members to celebrate. That itself takes the fun out of celebration. Think of a large family with 4-5 uncles and aunts, 10 cousins and grandparents having a blast at Diwali compared to a married couple with one single child. You need lots of company to celebrate festivals. 

Yes...we need to celebrate festivals.

Why or why not ?

It is part of our culture. It helps us develop a feeling of 'togetherness'. It's a time to be happy and celebrate.

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Other than the cultural angle, there is also the commercial angle to be considered . Celebrations mean big business Big smile

casper2

Goldie

casper2

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Festival time is fun time ! It breaks the monotony of the daily grind . Its a time to meet friends, neighbours and our relatives. Its a time for yummy goodies , gifts , new lothes , decorations . Its also a time to get in touch with our rich culture  and tradition. Its always fun to know about the various stories and rituals  connected with each festival. Its nice to know about the significance of the various rituals associated with these festivals.

Diwali is almost here, There are a lot of stories about why Diwali is celebrated .

why do we light lamps, pray to godess Laxmi , distribute gifts, or burst crackers ? The Diwali festival is made up of several smaller festivities .

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged
I'm really looking forward to Diwali this year!
This year Guy Fawkes and Diwali happen to fall on the same day so double dhamaka! :D I think there'll be non-stop fireworks this year! :)

I love Diwali! It's a great excuse to meet up with all my extended family and eat the most unhealthy food, stuff ourselves with so many sweets and chocolates and sit and gossip while watching the beautiful fireworks. :P Diwali is definitely more fun with company. I don't see the reason not to celebrate it really..like someone mentioned already..it's part of our culture and tradition and we shouldn't let go of that so easily.

souro

souro

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 3:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Why or why not ?

Note: Speaking only about Hindu festivals as they are celebrated in urban India.

If you look at particular festivals, then yes there are certain festivals for which the general fervour has gone down. However, overall I don't think the spirit of festivity has diminished. Rather, it has evolved into more than one way.

Even now people celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi, Durga puja and Diwali with great enthusiasm. Though, along with enthusiasm, pomp and grandeur has acquired and equally important place and especially Ganesh Chaturthi and Durga puja have turned into another rat race with people always trying to outdo the others. The competition is what provides the most entertainment to the people now rather than the essence around which the festivity and consequently the competition has built up.

Although, many people are against this change where people give more importance to the festivity than the essence, I don't feel there is much wrong in that. What was important or relevant 1000 years ago, need not be relevant today. Maybe, someone is not much interested about what Ram did and when he returned to Ayodhya but that doesn't mean that he won't love to burst some firecrackers.

One more change is what visrom pointed out. Change in society. More families today are nuclear and there are many who live alone and people have less time than what they used to have earlier. Festivities are built around the concept of sharing and enjoying the company of others. When others are missing, it's bound to take it's toll on the amount of fun. Moreover, most of the family's vacations are planned around the time when parents and children will have time off simultaneously, which happens to be around the time of these festivals. These are results of the present condition of the society.

Another social change, that of accessability to entertainment has also influenced the festivities. Earlier, there was limited availability to means of entertainment. Whatever modes of entertainment that were available, the common people could only afford them only a few times in a year. In such a scenario, it's no wonder that people were more eager to enjoy these festivals along with friends and neighbours as it provided them with a rare opportunity to have fun and enjoyment. Compared to that, we can now watch a film whenever we want, eat out whenever we want; every weekend is virtually a mini festival for modern urban dwellers. In that context, it doesn't become a priority for people to go out and have some fun during the festivals, as that's what they do anyways every Friday to Sunday every week.

Rimpa.

Rimpa.

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged

No it hasn't...The spirit, the joy, the unadulterated way of having fun, cheerfulness are still intact..Be it Durga puja, be it Christmas or Diwali or any other festival, its nothing but about human spirit and it's still very much intact.

Yes they are..not in terms of rituals but the tradition, the human spirit should remain.

Yes, I do but in a different way...I dont perform puja or obey the strict rituals...But I enjoy the time, I do pandal hopping, I do have get together with friends and family..Celebrations are more about gathering for me...

Why or why not ?
Yes, of course..In these busy days, celebrations are much needed break from the boring monotonous life....Festival infuses the spirit within us continue in life until the next one comes

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

Yes, the spirit of festivity has diminished to a large extent because of smaller families and busy lifestyle. Gone are the days when everyone used to visit their granparents' house and the hosue used to be full with uncles and aunts and cousins and have a gala time.

They are relevant...definitely festivals are part of our culture and we need to celebrate them.

No. As I mentioned above, families are smaller and there are fewer members to celebrate. That itself takes the fun out of celebration. Think of a large family with 4-5 uncles and aunts, 10 cousins and grandparents having a blast at Diwali compared to a married couple with one single child. You need lots of company to celebrate festivals. 

Yes...we need to celebrate festivals.

Why or why not ?

It is part of our culture. It helps us develop a feeling of 'togetherness'. It's a time to be happy and celebrate.

The smaller nuclear families does take away some of the fun but then festival time can be a re- union time Tongue  And yes, celebrating festivals with a gathering of all our near and dear ones has a special charm of its own !

Post Reply New Post

Go to top