Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

-MakhanMalaai-

IF-Stunnerz

-MakhanMalaai-

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged

Baava is pedestrian

Actor Siddharth is seen in Baava, a Telugu film which has a complete bucolic backdrop for the first time. Director Rambabu, who makes his debut with Baava has come up with a story not just set in a rural milieu but one which uses a time tested formula. In that sense, Baava is reminiscent of many other films in that genre.

Siddharth is paired opposite Praneeta for the first time in this love story-cum-family entertainer.

Baava falls within the usual pattern: boy sees girl, falls for girl and then the problems start which have roots in the past. The twists are pretty predictable so there's no element of suspense.

Veera Babu (Siddharth) from Venkatapuram is smitten by Varalakshmi (Praneeta). Initially it's hate at first sight for Praneeta which eventually turns into love at 'second' sight. She is being chased by Samrat, her baava (cousin) for marriage. But she wants to marry Veera Babu. Both belong to different villages which were once divided. In fact the deities of the village Rama Lakshmana, Sita and Hanuman [ Images ] too are divided between the villages with Sita being in the one Praneeta lives in. In the spur of the moment Veera Babu marries Varalakshmi. But the repercussions are many as the two families can't stand each other on account of an earlier incident. So the whole thing assumes larger dimensions instead of simply a boy marrying a girl.

The film has some good moments between father Sitaram Prasad (played by Dr Rajendra Prasad) and son Veera Babu. It has its share of sentiments and emotions too. But they don't seem engrossing. It becomes a bit languid in between despite the energetic songs scored by Chakri. The rural backdrop also seems a tad enforced with some staid elements (including a bicycle race) which makes the film stereotypical.

The presence of the lead pair Siddharth and Praneeta is lively and zestful. They are fun to watch in the first half. Sadly they cannot do much as they are hampered by the script.

Siddharth showcases a gamut of emotions perfectly and is earnest in his performance. Siddharth moves on to do a village-based guy from playing many urban roles. He has worked hard on his language (the east Godavari dialect) and has dubbed convincingly.

Praneeta equally complements Siddharth's performance. She also brings the necessary enthusiasm to her role. Dr Rajendra Prasad is good and lends some vibrancy but one wished there was more screen time for him. His role seemed very sketchy for an actor of his calibre. The presence of Brahmanandam and Ali are totally unnecessary.

The film shot in the verdant areas of coastal Andhra is pleasing to the eye though the film could do with tighter editing.

All in all, Baava is rather pedestrian fare. It's quite disappointing to see performances by the artistes go waste in a script like this.

Rediff Rating:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh man why why why... siddy boy u gotta choose movies with good scripts.. the review seems very average but personally i would watch it becuz it has siddy in it plus the songs are very nice.. esp the title track and mila mila.. anyone who has watched the movie would like to commentSmile

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaKavya....NiHa24MP_Radhacityoflights

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "telugu movie review - Baava" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

isomers

IF-Sizzlerz

isomers

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged
two? really? :O noooo! I was so looking forward to this movie! ):

I'm gonna watch it anyway because it has Sid in it.LOL Hopefully it's not as bad as the critic says it is!

kavya.b

IF-Stunnerz

kavya.b

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged
i'm hearing some very bad reviews as well

disappointed again

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

IPKKND 3rd Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged
Aw really? I love Sid ;p

Oh well, will watch it anywayys

Prasanthi

IF-Rockerz

Prasanthi

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged
Oh!!! thanks for sharing.. now i am in two minds whether to watch it or not. Confused

kavya.b

IF-Stunnerz

kavya.b

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged
i'll watch it as well....no worries how the movie, but i have to watch...if i want, i'll criticize later but watching the movie of some heroes is compulsary

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Prasanthi

..Naina..

..Naina..

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged
i didn't watch the movie yet, and I love Sid, but yeah the plot sounds so ehh. nothing above mediocre. so hopefully the actors did an AMAZING job so I'll love the movie ^_^

supercool3

Viewbie

supercool3

Nonchalant CC Captain

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
surprisingly i wasn't expecting much from this film.... cuz after looking at some stills... and the title... i quite guessed what the feel of the film might be

anywayz.... will still watch it for Siddharth cuz i luv this guy..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top