Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Do Aussies have poor sporting spirit? (Page 2)

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 19 October 2010 at 8:56am | IP Logged
Australian Champ Dani's $20k challenge to Poonia
19 Oct, 2010, 0135 hrs IST, Saibal Bose, TNN
JAIPUR: She pulled out of the Commonwealth Games but now she's seething for a showdown. In a challenge straight out of the Wild West, Australian discus world champ Dani Samuels has demanded a duel with Krishna Poonia, who led a historic Indian 1-2-3 sweep of the event at the Games.

The prize is $20,000, and the winner takes it all. But Samuels is unwilling to face Poonia on her home ground and wants the face-off to be held in Australia.

"A sponsor has offered $20,000 winner-takes-all, making it the biggest cash prize for a discus event in the world. The Diamond League offers $10,000 prize money, well we have doubled that to give Poonia her shot at the champ," Samuels' coach Denis Knowles was quoted as saying by the Australian media.

Poonia is ready to take up any challenge, but only if it is before December. "It has been a gruelling year," Krishna's husband Virender Poonia told TOI on Monday. "She would be resting after December. So, if Dani has any challenges in mind, it had better be before that, and at a neutral venue."

Poonia is ready for the face-off with Samuels but is yet to get any communication from the other side. "We have neither received a phone call nor a mail from anyone associated with Dani regarding this challenge," said Virender, who accompanied his wife to Patiala on Monday for a training camp. "We can only commit after we are told about the date."

He added that Krishna would under no circumstance compromise on her Asian Games participation for this challenge. "We will go for the gold there (Guangzhou)," Virender said. "If Dani wants Krishna to compete with her during the Asian Games, our answer is no."

http://m.economictimes.com/PDAET/articleshow/6771666.cms

I would call this another instance of bad sportsmanship ! Whatever prevented Dani from participating in the CWG ? Was she too scared of all the terrorist threats that were doing the rounds in media. The other sportspeople had more trust , courage and faith.  She lost on those counts.
If Dani wanted to so badly proove herself to be the best she ought to have competed in the event. If you have missed an event then you ve missed it girl !!! If every wannabe champion  goes on challenging the winner after the sports event is over then there would be no end to it !

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

gopalbhaizorrroAleezzay..hindu4lyf

gopalbhai Goldie
gopalbhai
gopalbhai

Posted: 19 October 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Australian Champ Dani's $20k challenge to Poonia
19 Oct, 2010, 0135 hrs IST, Saibal Bose, TNN
JAIPUR: She pulled out of the Commonwealth Games but now she's seething for a showdown. In a challenge straight out of the Wild West, Australian discus world champ Dani Samuels has demanded a duel with Krishna Poonia, who led a historic Indian 1-2-3 sweep of the event at the Games.

I would call this another instance of bad sportsmanship ! Whatever prevented Dani from participating in the CWG ? Was she too scared of all the terrorist threats that were doing the rounds in media. The other sportspeople had more trust , courage and faith.  She lost on those counts.
If Dani wanted to so badly proove herself to be the best she ought to have competed in the event. If you have missed an event then you ve missed it girl !!! If every wannabe champion  goes on challenging the winner after the sports event is over then there would be no end to it !

This article does not mention the apparent reason for Dani fuming up. It was reported that Krishna Poonia had commented somewhere that  Dani had pooled out of the games due to her poor form. Dani had come across this comment somewhere and this prompted her to bid for challenge. 
Indradhanush Goldie
Indradhanush
Indradhanush

Posted: 19 October 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged
Poonia should have focussed on Asiad Games and ignored this banting.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 1:41am | IP Logged
In the past I used to see the Aussie Hockey team and even the German Teams desperately using all illegal tactics to win.
These days they could have simmered down.
Still Australia a a strong sporting nation and I believe they will keep improving.

Aleezzay.. IF-Dazzler
Aleezzay..
Aleezzay..

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged
personally, i don't think any kind of behavior whether good or bad can / should be attributed to anyone's nationality - since that leads to generalization and hence highly unfair for the other group who may or may not identify with / endorse such behavior

having said that i also agree that racial stereotypes isn't a myth, it does exist and more often than not, it is proved to be true

in case of the land down under, the country seems to be a breeding ground for a set of highly pretentious and pompous individuals in almost every sphere including sports. so yes, whatever the reasons may be, they do come across as sore losers, who not only  can bark but may bite too if and when need be
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think if we also lived in a country that had the highest concentration of venomous creatures (and I'm not referring to Ponting's men) in the world then we would also be edgy. Box Jellyfish, blue bottles, taipans, funnel spiders. Heck that country lost a Prime Minister strolling on the beach.

Speaking of Ponting, why does he always spit on his palms? Dead

Edited by souro - 21 October 2010 at 5:46am
casper2 Goldie
casper2
casper2

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think if we also lived in a country that had the highest concentration of venomous creatures (and I'm not referring to Ponting's men) in the world then we would also be edgy. Box Jellyfish, blue bottles, taipans, funnel spiders. Heck that country lost a Prime Minister strolling on the beach.

Speaking of Ponting, why does he always spit on his palms? Dead
Perhaps thats the only way he knows to clean his palms LOL

Go to top