have we lost our roots?

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

We have such a beautiful, rich and distinct culture to feel proud of and whose torch we not only must and should carry, but do it with pride. Yet, somewhere down the line, are we losing touch with our roots? Are we trying to shun our culture to be "cool" or to gain "acceptance" with the masses. Are we trying to change our traditional ways to curry favour and acceptance with our non-indian friends?

We change the way we speak to gel with the public. We pepper our dialect with local terms and change our intonation to mask our identities.We try to avoid wearing our traditional clothes during functions to convey an image of westernisation and sohistication. But, why should we do this? do we feel ashamed of our identities. Why else do we mask our identities? Why do we change our culture to be popular or to be accepted?

I think we should take more pride in our culture, clothes, food,
customs, dialect, language, rituals and our roots. Ultimately, if we carry ourselves well with poise and elan, we'll be popular and be accepted for what really are wherever we go. We don't have to divorce
ourselves from our roots to curry acceptance or to be stylish. 

Lets speak our languages without feeling scared of being snubbed. Lets wear our religious marks without thinking that it's uncool. lets teach our children what we really are and not let them be led by what the atrificiality they see.  Lets take greater pride in just being what we are- a nation of proud and self respecting people!! :-)

Edited by jasunap - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hazelgirl thumbnail
agree with u all... 😛 😛 😛
Aparna_BD thumbnail
My thoughts are very similar to Vishesh . I don't at all think we - Indians ( whether we are NRI's or hold another passport ) are forgetting our roots .

1) If we speak a language thats similar to the natives or using lingo that the natives are familiar with its simply to be understood . It wouldn't get me very far if i decided to speak Hindi to them and not be understood at all . My husband got a job in the U.S after they interviewed other possible candidates for the position . but since my husband spoke without a heavy Indian accent .....he was far easir to be understood by his bosses .

2) Whenever there is a Indian function we all enjoy addoring our heavy jewelry tying Sarees , listening to filmi music and having fun with the other Indians . But if there is a formal gathering at the office , i am more comfortable dressing in Western only to be a part of the crowd . I am not keen to stand out and be different at those times .

3)Where as food is concerened , we love sharing our food with the westerners here . We at times go to a Indian restaurant with them and help tem appreciate whats Indian .I personally cook Indian food majority of the times.

4) On Diwali we sometimes call our close American freinds to share with them our festival . In turn we are called to join them during a Halloween party , Turkey meal on Thanks giving.

My point is we do take pride in our culture. But when in Rome do as the Romans do is a saying . That doesn't mean we are shunning our own culture . It simply means we are trying to get comfortable in a foreign land !!!!!!! 😊
sowmyaa thumbnail
Recently, due to exposure by television, internet, lots of people moving away from their country we are exposed to lots of culture within our country and outside our country. There is nothing wrong in living like romans in rome. Every culture has good and bad things taking good things from all culture is totally fine. Though after living aborad there are some things that I would like to expose to my kids. Like teaching them our mother tongue, exposing them to our festivals telling them history about our country. However, when I start celebrating chirstmas with americans that does not mean that i am going away from my roots.

Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I personally have never resisted change not that I could if I tried. Roots are often hidden, one cannot expect to see these at the very outset by the way one dresses, talks or food habits.
Addressing one's parents Mom and Dad instead of Ma or Papa doesnt make one ashamed of their culture. It's only a choice, nowhere equivalent having any less pride in or shunning their heritage. I speak in English most times because I have to. But I think in my native language and that is the hidden aspect no one can see. And even if one doesnt does that mean they feel ashamed of it? It could be that they are more comfortable with English, it is definitely simpler than Hindi for me personally. I have never understood the nuances to translate from my native language to Hindi, can do it better with english.

And religious aspect, I believe faith is always better imbibed and upheld, not to be displayed and then protest on being offended.

Signora2 thumbnail
Well I agree with u Rindam about religion, it can never stay through coercion or display and change is essential for survival. Having said that, I would say it is better to have a good grasp of our own culture and tradition. There is always a debate about giving impetus to our own language but India being such a diverse country a common laguage that is English proved beneficial. Culture and tradition is not what is shown on TV and movies, much of it is empty display and the uncorrupted version is hard to find. There are several art forms that are dying, it is because the practioners do not want to follow them, it can be a possibility that we me lose much of all this through disuse and neglect.   
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

😆

Originally posted by: Signora2

There are several art forms that are dying, it is because the practioners do not want to follow them, it can be a possibility that we me lose much of all this through disuse and neglect.   

One cannot force children to learn an art form or anything for that matter, but a lot of their resistance comes from peer pressure. I hated learning music as maybe a 9 year old, I felt forced, all my friends were learning something "cool" like horse riding and I was learning Carnatic music. I think my folks realized the peer thing and made it cool for me, in about a year I loved going to class, I started to enjoy it all the way, now its probably my favorite form of music.

One can try to mold their children when they are young and teach them some things related to their culture. If the kids genuinely are not interested they shy away naturally, but if its a peer pressure thing they tend to change with time.

Maybe our electronic media can help in India. Show them how rocking learning Bharatanatyam or Kathak can be. Why only filmi dances, Why is Dandiya loved so much, because its cool, its happening. Other folk forms could adopt the same technique.

I dont know maybe Im rambling now😆 but it was true in my case . Most of the cousins and children in my family was required to learn and keep up with a certain art form, we all resisted it but came around eventually.

ANGADLUVSKRIPA! thumbnail
i'm not sure wat 2 say. i mean i'm wid my friends who r mostly not indian but i never turn away my culture. they hav even saw hindi movies and enjoyed it wid me. i'm not embarassed at all but sometimes u always see ppl that r the so-called "outcasts of society" but i believe that every1 is equal but has 2 giv their equal share 2 fit in especially if u live somewhere else but india.
mikagurl23 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I was born here in U.S. although my parents have brought me up very cultural knowledge of India and raised me up to be an indian! In school, some may try to gel, although some may also want to learn about other cultures as well.

For instance, I have more asian friends than american because our personalities match and we dont have to worry about them not understanding us.

The question for clothes, I don't know when it started, but each year, I always see a new fashion! I guess the world is changing or new generations with more technology is growing! I am not exactly sure, but we all take pride unless there is one that is ashamed to be an indian.

We indians or pakis, live everywhere in the world, therefore we are all different with different individualities but no matter how western or northen we become, our soul will always be indian/paki/asian! Edited by mikagurl23 - 18 years ago
dare_dis_devil thumbnail
Nopes, i dont think tat vr losing touch wid our roots....

totally agree wid wat vishesh n indygirl hfe to say.... i mean, in this era of globalization....one just can't afford to u knw....lag behind, n confine themselves 2 their cocoons,....its soooo soooo very important to broaden ur horizon and mind-sets, and in the process of doing that, i really dont think that we r losing touch with our own culture....our own roots.....

i wud say that, its a positive change tht v hfe begun 2 accept all kinds of cultures, n rituals.....n this can definitely not b termed as aping the west, cause we indians r very much attatched 2 our roots.... b it in terms of music, rituals, food, customs, whatever....

being open 2 diff cultures n losing touch wid our own culture,.....r two diff. things afterall,....