reel or real: article

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

teddybear66

Goldie

teddybear66

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged

reel or real

Gone are the days on Television where audience loved watching women decked up in heavy jewellery and 5 layers of make up. While they haven't completely done away with it, the magnitude is much less now. With the advent of reality television, and channels delivering high TRP's with shows like Big Boss and Fear factor, makers have chosen to add real life touches and instances to their story telling. The leads are no longer sacrificing scapegoats. Instead, they are shown as characters that have a mind of their own.

Star Plus in early June went in for a total revamp and adopted the slogan "Rishta Wahi.. Soch Nayi", i.e. a new way of looking at existent norms and relationships. Under this banner, they revamped many of their older shows with new age thoughts and beliefs. They launched new shows as well. Shows like Sasuraal Genda Phool, Pratigya, Tere Liye, Kali, though are still women centric, they are now women sensitive and deal with real life problems that every girl or woman of any age could relate to.

Pratigya a show on Star Plus that started out as a call against all those eve teasers who dared to harass women, today is a love story between the stalker turned lover boy and the victim who is now his wife. While Pratigya is a strong minded, educated woman, her husband falls into the category for an uneducated, uncouth rich man's son, who believes in driving his point across by being stubborn and adamant, all in the name of love. Fans swear by his love and his loyalty towards his wife and they wouldn't take a word against him. What can't be missed out however is how he had actually coerced her into their marriage.  But what are the chances that you would fall for a person who has made your life living hell, held your parents and family under threat and has left you with no option but to marry him? A ridiculous twist eventually puts Krishna in positive light and turns the tables making Pratigya realize she loves her husband after all. A few episodes further focus on this woman winning the man back and him pushing her away saying, he didnt know she was like any other girl who would use "luring" to win him over!

Sasuraal Genda Phool a fairly light hearted show, that finds its place in the early evening slot of Star Plus has many fans. The lead Suhana, played by Ragini Khanna, is a rich man's spoilt brat daughter married into a middle class family as her father feels, she should get a dose of all the love and affection she missed as child owing to the fact that she was a single parent child. We find glaring resemblances to Enid Blyton's "Naughtiest Girl in School"-where the protagonist is not an epitome of perfection but is actually like any other rich girl, who has fancy expectations from life since everything has come to her on a platter. Though she has adjustment issues and a culture shock thanks to the sudden over flow of love and concern from her new found family, she quickly settles down and learns to adjust without doing anything mean or vamp like. She finds a friend in her husband and a mother in an elder in the house who everyone calls Badima. Sunaina's innocence and clear heart is the USP of the show. It wouldn't be surprising if the lead eventually fall in love, not because they are attracted to each other but, because both of them learn to love and accept each other for who they are . Suhana deserves a special mention as she is the first Star Plus bahu who is not perfect!

Enter Tani, who has been forced into marrying her best friend Anurag, out of compulsion at the age of 15 by their parents in Tere Liye . While the teenagers face the dilemma of not being able to define the boundaries of their new found relationship status they do learn to respect, like and care for one another taking cues from their own parents. Anurag's father however, begins to have second thoughts over their growing proximity and decides to separate the two. He forcefully sends Anurag abroad to study much against his wishes. There is pain of separation. Eight years down the line, Anurag has turned into this bitter young man, doing exactly the opposite of what his father would want or expect of him. He is rich, good looking and successful, but he is also a man who wouldn't let anyone override his thoughts. Not even Tani. He goes ahead and falls in love with another girl Nupur, when abroad, while Tani continues to harbour feelings for Anurag. She waits for him, only to be heartbroken on learning he doesn't believe in their child marriage anymore. His stance is clear. "I love you" but "I am not in love with you". This line seems to have caught on everywhere giving rise to innumerous debates over the nature of their relationship. Anurag takes all responsibility for Tani and promises to settle her, since he is the one who broke her heart. He still cares for her, and gets restless when he sees her unhappy. He however is clear that he doesn't love her and he is doing all this only because she is his best friend. Unlike earlier soaps under the Balaji Banner, where the hero decides to ruin his life for the sake of his lady love, here is a win-win situation where the man says, "I will repair the damage I did to you while I will stay happy as well".

Another show that started with Tere Liye was Chand Chupa Badal Main, a show about a low self esteem, reticent young girl Nivedita, who finds love in her childhood friend Siddharth, only to realize her sister loves him too. Being the girl that she is, she decides to sacrifice her love for the sake of her sister's happiness. The boy doesn't relent but she forces him to by taking a stand for herself for the first time in her life.

These hugely popular shows on Star Plus deal with very relevant situations that could occur in anyone's life. Now the question that comes to our minds is, with so many television shows dealing with so many real life issues, what is it that the audience expects?
  • Do they still think shows are a mere source of entertainment or they relate to these issues on a personal level?
  • If you were Pratigya would you be game to marrying a stalker to teach him a lesson and eventually fall in love on learning he is not bad after all?
  • Should a childhood marriage which is legally invalid bind you into a commitment just because it hurts the sentiments of the other party involved?
  •  Just because a couple looks pleasing on appealing on screen, should that be an enough reason to get them together by some means or the other?
  • If any of these situations were to occur in your lives, would you go ahead and do the same as the leads on the show?

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

VrushaliniKaranika-KMHtamushishaf13puviniP.Kamaljit.Sean

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "reel or real: article" in Chaand Chupa Badal Mein forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vrushalini

Groupbie

Vrushalini

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 1:12am | IP Logged
Well, I do not have much idea about many other shows except this one-CCBM....but indeed it is welcoming change that the actresses now a days are not shown with heavy make up and jwellery....The overall concepts on which the shows are based are atleast getting closer to real life....I appreciate it....And would like to see the positive relationships shown in any tv serial would get more importance over one or two negative characters.....Why to promote negativity in relationships to extreme extents....
TV is a strong medium and lots of people watch it very seriously so if the show makers promote positivity in relationships, it may create impact on the general thinking of people....I have only watched CCBM so far from day one, so I can speak only in that context.....if any of the situations shown would have happened in our life, we may or may not acted in a same way as the leads of the show....in a situation where nivi's father is being blamed so much, then like nivi would have spoken up and stood for my father's honour...I found nayantara dadi is just like my nani, being strong, keeping the family strong...But now a days it is for sure that young people do not really make  unreasonable sacrifices, neither they blindly believe everything what they see.... especially when in love, they are more realistic and work hard to achieve it and make life worth living...no one really keeps on crying rather tries to communicate with each other and solve issues and try their best to find out positive solutions...so in this show too which runs around four young people; we expect that they will be like today's generation, will talk to each other, solve issues and achieve happiness rather than keep crying and sacrificing, trapped unhappily in loveless life......

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Karanika-KMHP.Kamaljit.Sean

teddybear66

Goldie

teddybear66

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Vrushalini

Well, I do not have much idea about many other shows except this one-CCBM....but indeed it is welcoming change that the actresses now a days are not shown with heavy make up and jwellery....The overall concepts on which the shows are based are atleast getting closer to real life....I appreciate it....And would like to see the positive relationships shown in any tv serial would get more importance over one or two negative characters.....Why to promote negativity in relationships to extreme extents....
TV is a strong medium and lots of people watch it very seriously so if the show makers promote positivity in relationships, it may create impact on the general thinking of people....I have only watched CCBM so far from day one, so I can speak only in that context.....if any of the situations shown would have happened in our life, we may or may not acted in a same way as the leads of the show....in a situation where nivi's father is being blamed so much, then like nivi would have spoken up and stood for my father's honour...I found nayantara dadi is just like my nani, being strong, keeping the family strong...But now a days it is for sure that young people do not really make  unreasonable sacrifices, neither they blindly believe everything what they see.... especially when in love, they are more realistic and work hard to achieve it and make life worth living...no one really keeps on crying rather tries to communicate with each other and solve issues and try their best to find out positive solutions...so in this show too which runs around four young people; we expect that they will be like today's generation, will talk to each other, solve issues and achieve happiness rather than keep crying and sacrificing, trapped unhappily in loveless life......

right instead of solving the issue ... jo aa raha hai blame kar raha hai.... this show is different... so they should maintain that.... n be real....
both sid and viren are believing whatever they r hearin,,, kaun karta hai aaj kal aisa... 
lets hope nivi become strong... n sid in return realize his mistake soon.... 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

P.Kamaljit.Sean

Omshanti1111

IF-Sizzlerz

Omshanti1111

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged
actually, people have forgotten many good shows of TV...like Kora Kagaz, Saans which really showed what quality a woman of the day should have...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tamushixaviara

Post Reply New Post

Go to top