Rishta.Com

Can television reinvent itself?

rianicia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Towards the end of last year, we saw hoardings and print ads proclaiming that from the first of January, Indian television was turning red. The red in reference was the YRF logo, and not the high-end Red cameras that were being used to shoot the television shows which soon aired on Sony TV.

Apart from the celebrity talk show with Karan Johar, Lift Kara De, YRF TV put on air four shows, each of which sought to break away from the clutter of the current Indian TV shows — Mahi Way, Seven, Rishta.com and Powder. 

Ever since Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi happened, Indian television has mostly believed in treading down the corny road, and therefore it was a refreshing change to have four shows which aimed to be different. As YRF TV Creative Head Ravina Kohli puts it, "Apart from the fact that each show had a strong concept, we also wanted to ensure that we had a good mix of entertainment." In a marked departure from how the Indian television industry functions, each of these shows was going to run for a season and had bound scripts for 26 episodes before they went on floor. 

Some of the directors had not done television before, while others had, like Nupur Asthana, director of the very successful series Hip Hip Hurray. Nupur directed Mahi Way — the story of an overweight girl and how her weight influences her life, outlook and relationships. Although the show did manage to garner some fans, it didn't quite generate good TRPs. Despite this, it's the only show out of the YRF lot which will be back with its second season. 

For Atul Sabharwal (Powder), it has been a long journey since 2001 when the he thought of making a thriller about the activities of the Narcotics Control Board (NCB). The idea evolved over time as he kept researching on his subject, even as there were several rejections, before he found a producer, who according to him, "was interested in producing it and then producing it the way I had intended in the first place." Despite shooting with sophisticated equipment at actual locations, the gritty thriller didn't have earth-shaking TRPs, only a loyal viewership.

Atul was disappointed with the channel's lack of promoting the serial after the initial episodes, and it's decision to look "the Indian Idol way!" He thinks that "after this hydrogen bomb called Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi that exploded on Indian TV, we still keep getting shrapnel and particles thrown by it in the atmosphere. I hope that the dust settles soon", he says. 

Rishab Seth (Rishta.com) used to "find it amusing how we are always so objective while advising people about their relationships but seem to have absolutely no clarity when it comes to our own!" Ironies like this had always excited him and this became the foundation for the idea of Rishta.com, a matchmaking bureau — "people who are experts at helping other people find life partners but have very little success with their own personal relationships." 

This show about the eternal human quest to find a perfect life partner never had great TRPs but Rishab was never discouraged. "The idea behind YRF TV was to break the clutter and I think we achieved that with a fair degree of success. Besides, I personally don't have much faith in the ratings system." Rishab too has a grudge as far as the channel's promotion of the shows went. He thinks channel concerns should go beyond TRPs and "the goal should be to educate and evolve with the audience while entertaining them," he adds. 

Undeterred by a somewhat limited response to its first phase, YRF TV is now enthusiastically involved in the production of shows for its second phase of telecast. As Ravina puts it, "We will continue to produce the kind of programming we believe in. Without that, there's no fun!" 

Reference : Deccan Herald, Irene Dhar Malik

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

indiandoll89 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the article. I really felt that with these types of 'new' shows everything was going to change for the television world, but now with all of them being done, with the exception of I think only Mahi Way coming back, it shows that the audience is either extremely ignorant to quality television or is just too fixed in their old ways :(
rianicia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I too thought that these show would revolutionize the indian television shows and end the days of the high voltage saas bahu sagas. But it is indeed sad to see that the audience didn't quite appreciate it as expected.

Moreover these shows didn't have any village settings nor any goats running around and the main leads feeding/ milking cows...or the rich palatial settings with the ladies wearing 10 kgs of jewellery and masking a 19 year old to act like a 40 year-old because the creatives ran out of ideas and decided on taking the story ahead by leaps and bounds...a pathetic plight...

But what about the loyal fans of Rishta? Dont we deserve another season??
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
[quote]As Ravina puts it, "We will continue to produce the kind of programming we believe in. Without that, there's no fun!"[/quote]

So why don't you believe in Rishta.com, the very show you created, and give it the certain chance of attracting new audiences on top of the already loyal viewers who have accepted and appreciated it!? I can without doubt say that if R.com came back for a Season 2, it would have double the amount of viewership than Season 1, because many, many people have found out about the show after Season 1 finished, and more will find out with another season going on air. 

Rishab's Seth's grouch with promotions is something mirrored in each and every one of us here. If the shows ever 'failed' (which I quite honestly think is the wrong word to use), it was because of Sony and YRF's inability to adequately sell the product they created. Sony has the chance to become the channel of the Urban youth and residents, but as always, it fails at whatever it does. 

Thanks for the article, rianicia!
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: make-believe

[quote]As Ravina puts it, "We will continue to produce the kind of programming we believe in. Without that, there's no fun!"[/quote]

So why don't you believe in Rishta.com, the very show you created, and give it the certain chance of attracting new audiences on top of the already loyal viewers who have accepted and appreciated it!? I can without doubt say that if R.com came back for a Season 2, it would have double the amount of viewership than Season 1, because many, many people have found out about the show after Season 1 finished, and more will find out with another season going on air. 

Rishab's Seth's grouch with promotions is something mirrored in each and every one of us here. If the shows ever 'failed' (which I quite honestly think is the wrong word to use), it was because of Sony and YRF's inability to adequately sell the product they created. Sony has the chance to become the channel of the Urban youth and residents, but as always, it fails at whatever it does. 

Thanks for the article, rianicia!

WORDD! Sony TOTALLY screwed Rishta.com over and EVERYONE knows it! Pisses me off sooooooooo much! Arghhhhhhh! No promotion and such a crappy timeslot....and then they expect ratings....that too from such a faulty TRP system....pathetic.....

They NEVER valued the GEM that they had on their hands....oh how it bugs me *sigh* And it irritates me how they give "better ratings" as a reason for bringing MW back and not R.com....hello you gave MW a consistent GOOD timeslot throughout it's run! What did you give R.com?? Freakin 11 pm on  WEEKNIGHT?? BLIND MONKEYS have more foresight than this! 
musicalrain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for posting such a powerful article. It seems pathetic that every time a real show comes along people reject it for the masala ones and have the nerve to complain that India does not have creativity in its television shows and movies. On the other hand, they cheer about how life-like American/British sitcoms are even though the lifestyle depicted in the shows do not match the Indian lifestyle. And when such shows do come along in India that match the Indian mentality they boycott the show. 

P.S. just wanted to say that Hip Hip Hurray was the only youth show to ever air Indian TV. The only show which got it right.
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: musicalrain

P.S. just wanted to say that Hip Hip Hurray was the only youth show to ever air Indian TV. The only show which got it right.

Hip Hip Hurray was before the time of the saas-bahu era...when shows were still quality weeklies....do you think it would be allowed to survive in today's times? I doubt it. Maybe R.com needed more OTT "hawtness" and then it would maybe have survived *rolls eyes*
pigbelly4myfeet thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: rianicia

Rishab Seth (Rishta.com) used to "find it amusing how we are always so objective while advising people about their relationships but seem to have absolutely no clarity when it comes to our own!" Ironies like this had always excited him and this became the foundation for the idea of Rishta.com, a matchmaking bureau ' "people who are experts at helping other people find life partners but have very little success with their own personal relationships." 

This show about the eternal human quest to find a perfect life partner never had great TRPs but Rishab was never discouraged. "The idea behind YRF TV was to break the clutter and I think we achieved that with a fair degree of success. Besides, I personally don't have much faith in the ratings system." Rishab too has a grudge as far as the channel's promotion of the shows went. He thinks channel concerns should go beyond TRPs and "the goal should be to educate and evolve with the audience while entertaining them," he adds. 

👏 SO well said! This man is such a genius!

No wonder Rishta.com was so awesome! I mean he actually gave us a show, that portrayed what it means to be HUMAN! So many aspects to the relationships, biases, judgements, issues etc. we face as humans were explored in this show! He actually provided insight into the fact that there's all kinds of people in this world. What it means to really connect with someone, and find your life partner. How we deal with people based on our own judgements and how dealing with people and our experiences help us evolve. 

I mean, I know we all know why this show is so awesome, but the point I'm trying to make is that I just love how Rishabh actually HAD a vision for this show! He had a story to tell. 

And same with the Powder guy. He seems to have really researched into this and actually HAD  a vision too before deciding to make a show like this. 

I mean that's the problem with our tv shows these days na? People are just selling tried and tested formulas. Or the trend of what sells. That artistic vision and insight toh gayi tel lene. 

That's what bugs me the most! The fact that there are people like Rishabh who HAVE this artistic vision to tell a story, who are actually putting thought and soul into their work but are not getting a chance to tell their story completely. As opposed to people who are basically putting in no work to make shows based on the same old trends but are getting their shows stretched on forever! 

Like seriously, W*H?!? Pointless shows get stretched on and on, and basically show THE SAME FRICKING THING every episode, but when there's an actual story, evolving of characters and plot, the show gets axed? Ironic much?

So damn unfair. 

And @ bold: Seriously how much do you LOVE this guy? I love him for trying to accomplish this. If only all show makers thought like this, how awesome would the tv world be? 

But good for him, for making such an awesome show. I feel like this show deserves SO much appreciation! At least like an award or something! I hope articles like these keep coming, and people show appreciation even though the show has ended. Like Fatima said, so many more people know about the show after it's over than when it was actually airing. The show may have ended but at least the appreciation can keep coming for this show and the whole team, and of course the genius man behind it all- Rishabh Seth. 👏

This show was pretty much perfect in all aspects. Like Anu and Fatima mentioned, the only thing that 'failed' was the lack of proper promotion. I find it damn hypocritical of Sony and YRF to simply state the problem i.e. low 'ratings' but not even give a single thought to the CAUSE of it. It's like ok let's totally dismiss the fact that it's OUR fault that the show(s) didn't work?!? Let's just conveniently ignore that possibility! On one hand they portray themselves as bringing in fresh and original shows, and on the other hand they only give another chance to shows like Mahi Way which towards their end fell into the typical trap of loosing focus and showing random buffonery! As if we don't have enough shows like Mahi Way already! 

It's not like I don't appreciate YRF and Sony's efforts to bring in freshness and originality to television continuously, but at least take SOME responsibility towards the mistakes you've erred as well! If nothing else, at least maybe you won't repeat the same mistakes again! 

Anyways, I really hope Rishabh makes more shows in the future. I'm so totally a fan. 
Edited by cute2stay - 13 years ago
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: nureat01

WORDD! Sony TOTALLY screwed Rishta.com over and EVERYONE knows it! Pisses me off sooooooooo much! Arghhhhhhh! No promotion and such a crappy timeslot....and then they expect ratings....that too from such a faulty TRP system....pathetic.....

They NEVER valued the GEM that they had on their hands....oh how it bugs me *sigh* And it irritates me how they give "better ratings" as a reason for bringing MW back and not R.com....hello you gave MW a consistent GOOD timeslot throughout it's run! What did you give R.com?? Freakin 11 pm on  WEEKNIGHT?? BLIND MONKEYS have more foresight than this! 

*sigh* I guess that just tells the whole story right there...like you said, they never thought much of R.com to begin with or it wouldn't have been thrown to the back of the closet like it was. Chalo, they can keep showing their CID and Aahat marathons and dream about becoming the leading channel in x number of years. Whatever keeps them delusionally hopeful.

Originally posted by: cute2stay

No wonder Rishta.com was so awesome! I mean he actually gave us a show, that portrayed what it means to be HUMAN! So many aspects to the relationships, biases, judgements, issues etc. we face as humans were explored in this show! He actually provided insight into the fact that there's all kinds of people in this world. What it means to really connect with someone, and find your life partner. How we deal with people based on our own judgements and how dealing with people and our experiences help us evolve.

My absolute favourite aspect of this show. I can say with 100% certainty that nothing on Indian television, past or present, has ever shown character development like Rishta.com. Sure there are shows in which characters evolve, change, etc. etc. but are there any like Rishta, which did so with only one (forty minute) episode a week? It sketched its characters, made them lovable, made us sympathize and root for them, discussed human and social attitudes, and even left over food for thought...which other show can claim similarly in the duration of twenty-six episodes only?

Sony's loss. Unko mubarak ho.
Edited by make-believe - 13 years ago
musicalrain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: nureat01

Hip Hip Hurray was before the time of the saas-bahu era...when shows were still quality weeklies....do you think it would be allowed to survive in today's times? I doubt it. Maybe R.com needed more OTT "hawtness" and then it would maybe have survived *rolls eyes*

To be honest, I do think Hip Hip Hurray would have survived in the saas-bahu era regardless because it is the adults usually who watch the saas-bahu show (namely housewives and grandmothers). I think any one would be able to relate to the show regardless; people who went to school in the 80's onwards at least .. unlike Rishta.com which I think was a flop among the traditional Indian crowd (I think the show was probably the only sensible piece of entertainment worth watching, along with Mahi Way, on Indian TV.) The story of school is a total different ball game though. It's something everyone has been through, and if not the same experiences, you are bound to look at least one character in the show and go, "That sample was in my class"