Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Minnie

IF-Veteran Member

Minnie

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:28pm | IP Logged

Dowry - a word which turns your mouth into an acidic well the moment you hear it. Yet it's a reality most of the modern Indian women can't escapr from. I read this artcle today:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1327074.cms

and I was aghast.

I was curious to know: How many of you have had to come face to face with this bitter reality ? If you did how did you come to terms with it? Is there anyone of you out there who can give some justification for it's prevalance even today?

And do you think that it's going to stay this way even tomorrow, when we, the torch bearers against this evil, become the in laws and gain the opportunity to market our sons??

Please write your views.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Dowry - it's money honey" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MonicA#1Actress

Goldie

MonicA#1Actress

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:43pm | IP Logged

Absolutley disgusting!!!Dead

The fact that a family is giving their daughter away, isn't that enough??

This is one reason why infanticide rates haven't gone down and why girls are being considered burdens till now.

Dowry isn't a way to get rich, it is supposed to be a nice gift from the brides side, and sometimes it isn't needed. These people think they can get richer quicker if they demand a high dowry. What for?? The dowry system needs to be majorly fixed up because this is absolutely ridiculous. The girl is so special and it is a blessing for the boy that she and her parents approved the him for her marriage.

I for one would not approve of these "gold-diggers"

~Monica~

mad_cap

IF-Rockerz

mad_cap

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 11:55pm | IP Logged
Its a shame that the people in question, are supposed to be educated. As long as the perception of the Indian male that women are a commodity, this practice will remain. I have no sympathy for the ones who would come out in support of dowry - I pity them.

dare_dis_devil

Groupbie

dare_dis_devil

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 1:40am | IP Logged
hmmm....dowry is indeed one of d biggest social evils of india..... d fact tat paremts treat their own daughters as liabilities n marry them off 2 ne greedy weirdo....is absolutely disgusting.....

n d worst part is tat all this education n stff...nothing seems 2 help d matter.... methinks d condition can only improve if theres a real bigtime...change in the attitude n mind sets of ppl.... its high time ppl realised wht gal power is all abt...wassaya??....

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 4:34am | IP Logged
Dowry should be once and for all BANNED Dead

vash_ari

vash_ari

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 6:03am | IP Logged
itz so pity Disapprove that even in 21st century these type of evil is going on in India.

usachick821

Goldie

usachick821

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged
well, i would happily pay a dowry if all the money was used only for me and my husband, but not to make him wealthier than he already is! Dead

mad_cap

IF-Rockerz

mad_cap

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 11:52pm | IP Logged
Having had spent most of my childhood in Shillong, I have had the experience of interacting with the local tribals Khasis and Jaintiyas a lot. There the society is matrilineal. A child is identified by the mother's name. Here the local Khasi and Jaintia tribesmen value their daughters who inherit all their ancestral property. Much of the property goes to the Ka Khadduh - the youngest daughter - who becomes the centre of attraction. In Meghalaya, women run family businesses, dominate the households and take all key family decisions. In Meghalaya, the sons get nothing.
There is no scope for dowry here in their society.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top