Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

supercool3

Viewbie

supercool3

Nonchalant CC Captain

Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged
Hello to all wonderful people here. Well I'm here with this topic to know what you guys think about movies being remade from one language to another. This happens quite often in our South Industries.

Though movies are remade, there are always arguments and comparisons between the original version and the remake version. I, myself, usually watches both versions of a movie. Though some remakes turn out to be horrible, I find myself satisfied with the way most remakes turn out.

So my general question is... why is it that sometimes it seems to be hard to accept the remake in contrast to the original or vice versa? Does it depend on which which version was viewed first, or is it because it's sometimes hard to see the same role being re-enacted by different actors? Or otherwise, is it because there's that feeling that the remake loses the essence of the original ?

For me, I think that there's always that freshness when watching the original. In remakes, the creators do try hard to maintain that freshness, along with some more improvisations. However, some movies do end up losing that touch. Yet, there are so many others which manage to keep that essence throughout the film.

A strong request to everyone to not bring in any specific movie comparisons. It's  advised that the answers be given in from a general point of view. Big smile

Edited by supercool3 - 25 September 2010 at 9:04pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Aahaana-musicluv-..Naina..fuzzyfaceMP_Radhaammooscityoflights

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Remakes -- What's your opinion ?" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..Naina..

..Naina..

Posted: 25 September 2010 at 10:46pm | IP Logged
Wow, interesting topic I must say.

I watch movies in Telugu and Tamil, and so I know most of the actors and actresses because they cross over majorly. Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with remakes, because I feel like the jokes translate similarly in South Indian languages and even the types of movies just work with each different language.

But, I have to say I have an issue with like dubbing movies, irrespective of language. I just dont enjoy watching those movies AT all because more often than not there is no coordination or very little coordination in the way the actor's mouth movies and the dialogues (well obviously!LOL) but still, it's very annoying for me.

Back to the original topic though, I have no issue with remakes, unless you know, it's just miserably done. But I feel like in most remakes the directors try to add the touch that works with that industry so I'm usually ok with it :)

Anyways, great post :)

Cheers!
~Naina

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Aahaana-musicluv-supercool3malluangelcityoflightsammoos

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

IPKKND 3rd Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged
Nice topic!

Most of the time, I don't have a problem with remakes. If the movie becomes hit in one language, they are just trying to let other people see it by remaking it into other languages. They are giving the original movie credit :) I prefer originals, but I have no problem with remakes.

I can not stand dubbed movies though, as Naina stated. Dubbed songs just do NOT make sense LOL And when the actor isn't actually saying what we hear, I don't feel like it's a movie at all. I feel like they recorded a tape over random scenes.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

supercool3ammoos

supercool3

Viewbie

supercool3

Nonchalant CC Captain

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged
@ Naina -- yep same I watch both languages too .. and yes i agree on the fact that most actors and actress crossover... exactly my POV.. the way the dialogues are made out in remakes... there ain't much difference from the original .. the director's do obviously want to add their own touch to it.. i mean, it has to suit the audience that's watching the film too...

@ aishi.muffin --  exactly.. remakes allow for other viewers from other languages to also experience the film.. so there isn't much wrong with it.. but really what made me think about this topic is my friend... she watches the film in its original first, and then judges the remake before it even releases Confused so that fact usually annoyed me 'cause i was fine with both versions..

about dubbed movies, i don't like them either. For me, they just don't flow properly. It's really weird when you have different people speaking over the lines, and then the actions you see being done by the characters look totally opposite... i'd rather watch the movie in its original language

ammooscityoflights

-MakhanMalaai-

IF-Stunnerz

-MakhanMalaai-

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged

Ohhhkkk so here iss my view.. i lovee remakes.. whether they are in tamil, telugu or hindi.. i always love them... and usually they come out very good but tht has its own exceptions too.. usually people sayy tht they should get some orignal ideas and remakes are not justified blah blah.. i think tht making a remake takes double the effort for the director, actor everyone.. becuz u usually make a remake of a film which is either critically acclaimed or a commercial blockbuster.. either way u want to make it better thn the orignal so people like it moreee and cuming from the hindi backdrop u have to make drastic changes to suit the north audience cuz the madras cut doesnt work with hindi audiencee.. pluss when people likee me who watch telugu, tamil and hindi movies where we have already seen the orignal also expect sumthing new in the remake so tht it doesnt get boring!! So on the whole i actually like remakes becuz they are usually good very less it happens tht a remake turns out to be a disaster tho it happened to me this week im nt gonna name the movie..LOL...

And cuming to dubbed movies they are horrible man.. esp the hindi ones becuz the voice they give to the actors OMG its squeaky u'd hate the actor and the movie when u see the dubbed version and icing on the cake turns out to be the songs who have no menaing in them at all.. This happened with me once when i watched the hindi dubbed version of  Nagarjuna's Super named robbery its on tv 24/7..and i felt like killing those voice over actors plus i hated tht moviee and the songss.. it still had decent singers like sonu nigam and all becuz it was a nagarjuna and a big budget movie but if u have a chance to see some third class low budget hindi dubbed movie the songs are utter crap.. ohhk soo cuming to super then i had a chance to watch it in telugu once and i watched it and i actually liked it.. it was  a good movie...!!!!... My story ennds ~ LOL

supercool3ammoos

fuzzyface

IF-Rockerz

fuzzyface

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged
I think the story itself has to be good enough for a remake and you must have a good director and cast to lift the movies. This is because people will compare it with the original, so remakes have to stand out above the original.

Edited by fuzzyface - 27 September 2010 at 5:50am

supercool3ammoos

ammoos

IF-Veteran Member

ammoos

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged
Its not all about the story itself.. A movie should be remade to other languages only if the whole background that supports the story matches with the new audience... For eg. The movie Classmates from mallu wa sremade to other South Indian languages but the story os not so suitable to Hind audience. so Whem going for a remake you should have that sound back up for the screenplay other the screenpaly will have to be changed and it no longer will be called a remake..

supercool3fuzzyface

fuzzyface

IF-Rockerz

fuzzyface

Posted: 28 September 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged
Yes Uma you have brough a good point sometimes remakes don't work because the story itself doesn't permit it. Then again like Shakespeare said "An honest tale speeds best being plainly told" . If the movie is good enough it will stand out on its own in any languages or form, no need remakes.

supercool3ammoos

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.