Dill Mill Gaye

Difference between Theej and Karwachaut?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

armaanlover_7

IF-Dazzler

armaanlover_7

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 12:26am | IP Logged
Hi friends,
                 I want to clear my doubt.I dont know the difference between Theej and Karwachaut because I am not a North Indian.I thought both are same because the wife fasts for her husband's long life.But just a few months back Ridhima had kept her Karwachaut fast.So is Theej different from karwachaut?If so,what is the difference?
Please clarify.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Difference between Theej and Karwachaut?" in Dill Mill Gaye forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

neel_jay

Goldie

neel_jay

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged
They are basically for the same purpose but are practiced in different states. In UP and Bihar/Jharkhand, they do Teej, in Gujrat/Rajasthan/Punjab, they do Karva Chowth.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

armaanlover_7

gupta.aditi20

IF-Dazzler

gupta.aditi20

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged
NO ACTUALLY TEEJ AND KARVACHAUTH ARE DIFF.
KARWACHOUTH U MAY BE KNOWING..
BUT IN TEEJ ITS LIKE THERE IS FAST AND ALL BUT ITS IN SPRING OR AS WE CALL SAAWAN KA  MAHEENA..
ISMEI ITS LIKE THERE ARE SWINGS ADORNED WITH FLOWERS AND WOMEN ARE SITS ON THEM - IT THE MAIN THING ON TEEJ.. BAKI I DONT KNOW MORE..

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

holic_fanarmaanlover_7

neel_jay

Goldie

neel_jay

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by gupta.aditi20

NO ACTUALLY TEEJ AND KARVACHAUTH ARE DIFF.
KARWACHOUTH U MAY BE KNOWING..
BUT IN TEEJ ITS LIKE THERE IS FAST AND ALL BUT ITS IN SPRING OR AS WE CALL SAAWAN KA  MAHEENA..
ISMEI ITS LIKE THERE ARE SWINGS ADORNED WITH FLOWERS AND WOMEN ARE SITS ON THEM - IT THE MAIN THING ON TEEJ.. BAKI I DONT KNOW MORE..

Hi Aditi,

That is a different Teej. My mom used to have that spring jhula wali Teej in her mayka. Of course I don't know which Teej the CVs are planning for DMG. I guessed the other Teej I mentioned because that Teej was on 11th Sept (real life). My Bihari friends did that Teej here in the US. They fasted for 24 hrs without food and water for their husband's long life. Then they woke up 12th morning, completed the puja and were allowed to eat/drink only after that.

Since it's not spring time now, I guessed that it was the 11th Sept Teej - the difficult fasting one that is done for the husband. Let's see and find out what they show for DMG..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

armaanlover_7

nidha1983

IF-Sizzlerz

nidha1983

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged
Teej : ~ On this day Goddess Parvati is worshiped. A day before this festival is celebrated as Sinjara wherein girls/ladies put on mehandi on their hands and eat ghewar/feeni and other sweets. On Teej, married women pray to Goddess Parvati for well-being of their husbands. Idols of goddess Parvati are decorated and taken in a procession in the streets accompanied by singing, music, and dancing. Teej is an important festival amongst the baniya and marwari community. In this area women are also given banglesand bindis. Swings are also put on trees for the entertainment of young girls. Unlike the other states and communities amongst the baniyas and marwaris, the festival is meant as a celebration for women especially young girls. Girls of the house are given new clothes.

Karva Chauth : ~
Karwa Chauth' is a ritual of fasting observed by married Hindu women seeking the long life, well-being and prosperity of their husbands. Married women keep a strict fast and do not take even a drop of water. It is the most important and difficult fast observed by married Hindu women. It begins before sunrise and ends only after offering prayers and worshiping the moon at night.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

armaanlover_7ammyridz600

Post Reply New Post

Go to top