Was it necessary to involve the politicians?

sarah1024 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
** Edited to add: This thread was originally posted in the DMG forum but was later moved to the Debate Mansion, so for anyone that's confused, the content of this thread refers to the recent intervention by politicians to edit a particular scene out of an episode of the show because it allegedly violated what the Indian culture stood for. **

I know there have been lots of posts about this subject but I figured I might as well add my two cents. Before I proceed, I'd just like to clarify that I am not a fan of ANY of the couples on this show. I lost the motivation to watch DMG several years ago.

Coming back to the topic ...

Since when is it the moral responsibility of soap operas to 'educate' people by sticking to the societal norms? As long as the storyline doesn't offensively discriminate against a particular race, religion, gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation, everything else should be taken in good spirit. That is the whole point of fiction after all. If the viewers have issues with the way a track(s) is being handled, at most they would contact the creative team or the production house. Why bring the politicians into this?

Besides, extra-marital affairs aren't new to the world of television soaps. Half the shows out there portray either the husband or the wife cheating on their spouses. Yet, I don't see any political involvements there. Heck, forget infidelity. Name me one soap opera (whether Indian or otherwise) that has strictly woven all of its storylines around the ethics and morals of the society in question. I can't think of anything that fits into that category besides the shows that are meant for kids since those shows are supposed to educate. Almost every other show has murderers, rapists, adulterers, alcoholics, goons, prostitutes, etc as some of the regular and/or recurring characters. That doesn't mean those shows are trying to glorify those qualities; nor are they encouraging their viewers to follow in their favourite fictional characters' footsteps.

To those that might argue that the pre-teens and teenagers who watch this show might get the wrong idea by watching this affair since their minds are still impressionable - I'd like to point out that this is not the first time DMG has shown something inappropriate. I have literally lost count of the number of sensuous and steamy song sequences that this serial has shot for many of its couples before. Was that not a violation of the Indian culture and values? Why did nobody protest back then? What about the fact that the show has continuously been portraying doctors in a bad light for the past three years? What about the sheer mockery that DMG has made of such a noble profession? I see that as more of a violation of ethics than an extra-marital affair between two characters.

Either way, a show is a show at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure nobody thought 'Oh wow, Riddhima almost cheated on her husband. I'm going to follow her lead someday since cheating is so cool now!'

I'm sure Shive Sena have got more substantial things to do with their time. Is it really worth getting them into this? I'd rather we fight for issues that affect real people living in the real world, instead of a sinking fictional show that less than a quarter of the Indian population watches. 

I repeat - I'm not a fan of anybody on DMG and my post was strictly about the concept of how far one should go for the sake of a show. It wasn't about the A/R/S triangle or which character did the right thing and which one didn't. I didn't mean to preach either. I was just stating my point of view. I hope nobody was offended.
Edited by sarah1024 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dishu thumbnail
i am totally shocked as well..i cant believe for this stupid fiction show, people can contact parties..

i am an AR fan but even if armaan sleeps with 100000 women , i wont contact a political party..damn this is all fiction..

there are so many problems we are facing in the real world..but shit noone contacts political parties for this..
this is really really sad that the shows are taken so seriously..

UNBELIEVABLE..i can never believe people can go to such extent for a god damn show which will end one day and has nothing to do with reality..
romiosugar1 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I am somehow clueless as to who brought this DMG crap to politicians attention, but I am happy that they did. I am against EMA......I repeat it that I am AGAINST EMA. I do not care at all if a single man and woman spend a night or do whatever they want to do, but I would not tolerate EMA despite being a 21st century girl. For me, EMA is a crime unless/otherwise you are not happy with your spouse. Riddhima never showed her unhappiness to Sid. If she was unhappy with her married life, I would have understood her circumstances, but that is not the case either. I do watch quite a few Indian shows and have seen a lot of ups and down and nonsense twist and turns, but I have to admit this I have not seen a married woman (lead character) trying to commit adultery with her ex. I have seen men doing that, but in my understanding those shows are trying to show us these kinda stuff still exist in our society whereas DMG plainly just trying to pleasure its viewers by showing us crap.

Anyways, we all think differently. I am just glad that someone took care of this shit though I do not really care about this crap anymore.
anitamalik thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I agree completely man! Honestly I loved this show at one point of time..now I just watch for my faves/characters..however, spamming/messaging on FB, calling Star One, giving feedback I find fine..Fans should do that..Calling up Shiv Sena LMFAO or other politicians for the show..wow :| I got more important things to do in life!
MuasamSept16th thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: romiosugar

I am somehow clueless as to who brought this DMG crap to politicians attention, but I am happy that they did. I am against EMA......I repeat it that I am AGAINST EMA. I do not care at all if a single man and woman spend a night or do whatever they want to do, but I would not tolerate EMA despite being a 21st century girl. For me, EMA is a crime unless/otherwise you are not happy with your spouse. Riddhima never showed her unhappiness to Sid. If she was unhappy with her married life, I would have understood her circumstances, but that is not the case either. I do watch quite a few Indian shows and have seen a lot of ups and down and nonsense twist and turns, but I have to admit this I have not seen a married woman (lead character) trying to commit adultery with her ex. I have seen men doing that, but in my understanding those shows are trying to show us these kinda stuff still exist in our society whereas DMG plainly just trying to pleasure its viewers by showing us crap.

Anyways, we all think differently. I am just glad that someone took care of this shit though I do not really care about this crap anymore.

word.
SilentSilver thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
really dont people have better work do than contact a political party for just a tv show..............dont they know the difference between reel n real??????
abhi_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
U couldnt have said better! Agree with ya!

romiosugar1 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: anitamalik

I agree completely man! Honestly I loved this show at one point of time..now I just watch for my faves/characters..however, spamming/messaging on FB, calling Star One, giving feedback I find fine..Fans should do that..Calling up Shiv Sena LMFAO or other politicians for the show..wow :| I got more important things to do in life!

I think that is up to those SS & politicians!!! If they felt it was necessary to stop, then I don't think that we have to do anything with it.

Fans sometime go crazy and cross all the limits for their fav couple's sake, but what's up with those politicians? Why fans to be blamed??

I see those politicians more useless than fans 😕
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I agree with you. I understand EMA is wrong. Heck even I'm against it. But seriously, this is NOT a real-life situation that politicians have to be contacted. It's just a work of fiction. I would have kind of understood if DMG was the #1 show, and most of India watch it or something, but seriously DMG is far from that.

I understand that many people were against the track of the show; but why not contact the PH or SO? Why do you have to go contact politicians? It's JUST a show. If you hate it, don't watch it.

I know it's a show, I hate it, I don't watch it. It's not so hard to flip the channel if something you dislike is on TV. Why bring in a politician?

Instead of wasting time contacting politicians for a fictional show, how about thinking about other REAL-LIFE issues around the world? Seriously.
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: romiosugar

I think that is up to those SS & politicians!!! If they felt it was necessary to stop, then I don't think that we have to do anything with it.

Fans sometime go crazy and cross all the limits for their fav couple's sake, but what's up with those politicians? Why fans to be blamed??

I see those politicians more useless than fans 😕

I kinda agree with this. When I first heard that politicians were contacted, I thought it was joke (and I still hope it is). Do politicians not have better things to do than stop some scenes from being aired that'll hurt a few hundred fans; like trying to improve issues that affect millions?