UEFA EURO 2012 (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

Alia_Khan50

Alia_Khan50

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged
I still cant understand/believe that Messi could not score a single goal at the WC. And with the new season he gets a goal in the first game!

England got another good win against Switzerland. Glad Rooney scored. But another poor performer at the WC.

I have no expectations from England though, they qualify easily for the Euro, but then they will bottle it as usual at Group Stages or there favourite stage QF! Seriously I was so optimistic about there chances at this WC, and actually thought that they might go all the way!

Yeah France are in right mess aint they. And yeah more of Zidane please! Love him!

Edited by Alia_Khan50 - 09 September 2010 at 8:26am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

~*Thamizhan*~ShadowKissesruky786ChillMaarYaar

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "UEFA EURO 2012 (Page 2)" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ProdigalStudent

IF-Dazzler

ProdigalStudent

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Alia_Khan50

I still cant understand/believe that Messi could not score a single goal at the WC. And with the new season he gets a goal in the first game!

England got another good win against Switzerland. Glad Rooney scored. But another poor performer at the WC.

I have no expectations from England though, they qualify easily for the Euro, but then they will bottle it as usual at Group Stages or there favourite stage QF! Seriously I was so optimistic about there chances at this WC, and actually thought that they might go all the way!

Yeah France are in right mess aint they. And yeah more of Zidane please! Love him!

Oh plenty of reasons. I can write an essay on this if I want to actually. LOL Anyways, according to me, the main reason for Messi's lack of goals is because he never really played as an out-and-out attacker in the world cup. He was given a free role in the team, the license to roam around wherever he wanted; he didn't start in his usual position in the right wing, but behind Higuain and Tevez.

Now typically this would not be a problem if Argentina had a solid midfield - but Argentina's midfield, however, was far from being strong. I mean you had one holding player in Mascherano (who is good), Angel Di Maria (who is more of an attacking winger than a midfielder - and a bit of a redundant addition to the team when you already have three world-class strikers.) and Maxi Rodriguez (again not really a gamemaker but a winger) - so they failed to control the midfield and service the ball to Messi - which is why he would have to drop deep in games to get that ball and service it to Higuain/Tevez. Now the problem with this strategy that it solely depends on Messi for creativity. This is a pretty dangerous approach to take, cause when you solely rely on one player to provide the creativity/fulcrum to the game, then rest assured, the opposing teams are going to take note and man-mark the hell out of him. Plus, sorry to state the obvious, but Messi isn't a midfielder - he is an attacker. LOL Yes man-marking Messi left Higuain and Tevez to score, but what happens when you face a team that completely dominates the midfield and provides a potent attacking threat on top of it? Who services the ball to Higuain and Tevez there? Tongue That's basically the problem Argentina faced with Germany. Plus Germany unlike Argentina did not just depend on one single player to provide the skill to their game, it had plenty of players who contributed to the game and played like a team. Clap

Anyways, the reason he does so well in Barcelona is because in Barca he actually plays in the position he's strongest at, plus he's got the likes of Xavi/Iniesta to back him up. And btw, this is one of the reasons why Argentina played so well against Spain in the friendly, granted it was a friendly on home soil so the advantage went to Argentina's favor obviously not to mention that Spain's back five was virtually absent, but this Argentina team had some talented midfielders like Cambiasso and Banega along with Mascherano and one of the best right full-backs in Zanetti who basically eased the pressure off Messi's shoulders and allowed him to do his own thing - i.e destroy teams defenses, without having to worry about trying to get the ball. Moreover, like a website mentioned (I forgot which one), Messi occupied the front-line this time instead of behind Tevez/Higuain, providing more width to their offense. And, most importantly, this time - not just Messi but all three of the strikers were given a free role to move and interchange amongst themselves - which makes the job that much harder for the opposing defenders and again eases off the pressure on him. Basically now the team doesn't solely and completely depend on Messi for the game, and that makes all the difference.

Nevertheless I should add that there's no doubt in my mind that had Argentina played with the full strength Spain NT, Spain would've won the game, or at the very least tied with Argentina (since Argentina have the home advantage and all that.) Argentina NT still has a long way to go but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by ProdigalStudent - 10 September 2010 at 2:07am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

~*Thamizhan*~ShadowKissesChillMaarYaarHowlarious

ruky786

IF-Stunnerz

ruky786

Posted: 18 September 2010 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
I think England fans such as me expect too much because I actually thought England would do well in the WC but poor performances cost us and Euro 2012 well I'm not too excited I'm supporting Spain as well as England.

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged
Today was a very entertaining EC qualification day, y/y?
Cristiano got his '06 self back.  That free kick was simply amazing!! Why the PFF couldn't sack Quieroz earlier is beyond me. It would have done them a world of good and they could have been leading the group. Nani + Meireles have been pretty solid these past games too. Miss Quaresma, though. I really want to see how he and Cristiano pair up. 

Yoann seems to be having a better time on the pitch, too. I'm thinking he has a ~shpeshul~ bond with Blanc and can only do well with Blanc pushing him to do better. Hopefully, he proves me wrong because Lyon could really use the skills he showed today. Nasri, Remy, Malouda, Payet and Benezema (JM, WHY WON'T YOU PLAY HIM INSTEAD OF HIGUAIN) have been pretty good too.

I'm soooooo deliriously happy Gomez scored (and Podolski and Klose, but mostly Gomez). He's had a tough time since he moved to Bayern (who are currently sucking beyond one's imagination) from Stuttgart but I hope this gives him some sort of a confidence boost so he can start being awesome on the pitch. First half was so frustrating and second was slightly better in that Germany actually managed to get their shit together long enough to win it. I'm betting Joachim ripped them a new one during half-time. Not really anything amazing (match against Turkey was better) but they won, and Marko, Mario and Toni got some playing time. Kroos really did well in his attempt to fill Schweinsteiger's (missed him like CRAZY but he deserves some rest, along with Mueller) shoes. Lahm and Per have been fairly effective, too. I want more Adler action, though.

Shame the Italy-Serbia game got cancelled due to fans trying to lynch Stojkovic. I was actually looking forward to that.

Spain vs. Scotland -- IDEK what to say. They ended up losing a +2 lead (should have been +1 lead b/c the penalty wasn't really fair, IMO) only for Llorente to slot one back in. He's shown that he really does deserve (game against Lithunia was The Llorente and Silva Show) to start but I wonder why VDB won't start him.

Netherlands were on fire, even if they did end up missing some relatively simple chances. Sad that Kuyt's probably out for the rest of the year, though. Loving Huntelaar and VDV's partnership.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 12 October 2010 at 5:00pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

~*Thamizhan*~ProdigalStudentHowlarious

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged
*bumps thread*

Euro qualifications are back on! I didn't really catch any games except for the Germany one and boy, they were amazing in the first half. Lahm has never reminded me so much of Beckenbauer (from the little I've seen of him, that is) than he did today - not so much as shrugging off defenders as ignoring them and the beautiful footwork. Shame it went over the bar. Second half, they relaxed a bit, and started being afflicted with Bayernitis - the inability to put the ball in the net. Kazakhstan had some decent runs forward but nothing that was too hard for Neuer to handle. Kinda sad Hummels didn't start ahead of Holger. He's transformed quite beautifully into an amazing centre back and really deserves to start, perhaps more so than Badstuber who needs to get into his pre-injury form. I'm glad Goetze at least got to play. He's a promising player (even if he does have poor taste in picking clubs).

Off to watch the Portugal - Chile friendly, should be good.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 26 March 2011 at 3:33pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

~*Thamizhan*~

Post Reply New Post

Go to top