India-Forums

What's your definition of 'copied/inspired/style?' (Page 4)

-Niky- IF-Sizzlerz
-Niky-
-Niky-

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 2:35am | IP Logged
Thanks for putting this topic was!
It was VERY necessary!
Embarrassed

How would you define and differentiate between 'copied work' and 'inspired work?'
Copied in my opinion would be an ABSOLUTE copy of the orignal siggy, and that too without the mension of the person.
But Inspiration in my opinion is something, that if you like someone's style, you try to enculcate your ideas in it & then make a whole new thing out of it & also mention the name of the person with whom you were inspired. Also, you should inform that person if possible!Embarrassed

What is style? Can 'style' be copied or inspired by?
I think style is of every individual. It is not something that you can copy, because it is something that comes from within... from your own mind & talent. But style can definitely be inspired! But only to some extend!

Love,
NikySmile

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Anhdara13SobtiObsessionSiddhi_talkativetaurusnotfadedaway

aish_punk IF-Sizzlerz
aish_punk
aish_punk

Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged
i agree with what radz n jhanvi have said..

copying is when it looks exactly the same, but its inspired when maybe the style is the same..but i feel that when a person is inspired by someone..he should give due credit to avoid conflict..

a little faithAnhdara13SobtiObsession-Niky-notfadedaway

mimi0295 IF-Veteran Member
mimi0295
mimi0295

Posted: 10 October 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
THANK YOU EVERYONE!
I'll keep this sticky up for another week or so before the final definition (which will include everyone's input) is posted for all of you to be familiar with.
Sound like a plan?

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Mitesh.PAnhdara13-KingAragorn-Siddhi_-Niky-isomersnotfadedaway

a little faith Goldie
a little faith
a little faith

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
Excellent post!

For me in terms of art, personality or history copying or 'plagiarism' is NOT a branch of inspiration.  They are as far apart as the West from the East. 

Inspiration is when you see something, hear words, sense a new emotion within your soul that stirs you, compels you towards a new light, a new way of thinking.  It mixes in your soul and suffuses through your being so that as you ride that wave of momentum onto your own creativity, it will carry the spirit, or rather some of the substance of spirit of the 'original' but in form it is completely different; flourishing branches, buds and blossoms in full bloom, sometimes even nourishing the roots to dig deeper too!

Plagiarism is when you see an object, hear a sound, try to reach out but fall short of understanding the essence of that origin; only knowing that 'something' wondrous is there but you can not pinpoint it.  You like it, that is all you know, but it flows off your heart, misses the pith of your mind.  You extrapolate the form but gain no substance.  A carbon copy it remains an empty vessel, desolate in a soulless crowd; twigs forsaken, forlorn and forgotten upon the ground!

Copying with credit is the acceptable midway point between the two on your journey towards sunbeams, moonlight and enlightened grow th! 

As for being able to borrow a style, to quote Francois de La Rochefoucauld, Hypocrisy is the homage that vice pays to virtue. 

Love Sabah

Edited by a little faith - 22 October 2010 at 1:54am

Anhdara13SobtiObsessionSennyloveaboveall.Siddhi_

talkativetaurus IF-Sizzlerz
talkativetaurus
talkativetaurus

Posted: 24 October 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged
copying is making something tht wud be the EXACT copy of the original stuff. from pictures to the other materials.

inspiration means to just get inspire by the stuff, use it as a base and come out with totally different product! but ofcourse due credit remains to the original maker.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

--arti--a little faithAnhdara13

loveaboveall. IF-Sizzlerz
loveaboveall.
loveaboveall.

Posted: 28 October 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged
Awesome topic for starters.. because I have heard a lot regarding copying and so forth.

You know, I'd probably see it as a compliment if someone "copied" my work - but that being said, what is copying? I only think it could be regarded copying on a couple of points.
1. The person copying (let's call 'em mA) the original maker (mB) is probably someone who is always a)commenting on mB's shop/gallery, and/or b)using a lot of mB's siggies/avis; or at the very least c)admiring mB's work, on posts, Creation Galleries, etc.
2. mA is probably someone who's always asking questions on how to create a particular texture, or trying to make their own.. as similar as possible to mB's work.

Inspiration to me is looking at mB's work and thinking that's amazing.. I wanna be as good as them some day. (& TBH, that's how I started making siggies.. I wanted people to admire my work one day. LMAO, so self-absorbed, right?)

I really think people should only be accused of copying when the mB finds continuous evidence that mA uses their 'style'. & certainly, the mBs should NOT quit I-F because of a limited few who still haven't learnt how to make their own style. That's basically letting the mAs win, and letting them into your stride.

At the end of the day, it's really easy to accuse someone of copying... and I've seen it done heaps of times. I suppose as long as you make a mention somewhere on your post or shop that you were inspired by mB's work.. there shouldn't be such a problem.
But I also reckon there should be a limit to the amount of accusations.. if I like a type of font or texture or whatever.. I should be able to use it in my own way; and hey, take it as a compliment that someone really likes your style.

<3 sabziee.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

a little faith--arti--Anhdara13-KingAragorn-Siddhi_-MERRY-

a little faith Goldie
a little faith
a little faith

Posted: 28 October 2010 at 3:10am | IP Logged
^^

I would like to an an addendum to my post above, in view of the important point Sabii mentioned.

True, I too do not mind when people are inspired obtusely or even if they copy work precisely.  However it is NOT about the 'creator's' like or dislike.  It is about guiding towards light.  For when we turn the sight away from black and white, blurring lines, then to quote turnstall 'colours bleed into one that doesn't have a name!'

Do not misunderstand me I am not asking for an authoritarian cage but rather I am asking that people be their own Judge, Jury and Executioner. 

Plagiarism is NOT inspiration, just as coincidence is NOT copying.  I have been inspired to create work, which before my pen reaches paper I see formed into beauty by another.  Uncannily copied from my mind, to which I conclude maybe my inspiration was not as bright as I deemed it so, (not to insult the other creator either!)  This has happened so many times that I realize that sometimes same does NOT mean copied!

Therefore the judge MUST be our own selves, for ONLY we know what we 'copied' and what is inspiration's heir.

It falls upon and unfortunately for some falters upon 'intentions.'   If a person falls in love, becomes enamoured by beauty and wishes to cherish its substance, seeking to love it by understanding its form, then when they 'copy' the art, they will undoubtedly grant credit, for their intention is love and light.  If a person wants glory alone, then their actions will grant only humiliation, not humility.

Forgive me if I spoke above my rank.  Please feel free to disagree, I may thereby learn something of my own hue.

Love Sabah

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Anhdara13-KingAragorn-SobtiObsessionSennyloveaboveall.Siddhi_talkativetaurus

--arti-- Goldie
--arti--
--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 11 November 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged
Wonderful discussion. I've been away for ages, so I'm sorry I don't keep up. But I'd love to chime in on this question.

I think it's a great compliment to any designer when they see that others are inspired by their work. First of all, designing, like any creative work, is one that takes a lot of attention to detail. And particularly doing stuff for free, just out of passion or interest, is quitely honestly a labour of love. The thing that keeps IF creators going is the appreciation they get, on top of the fact that it is rewarding to bring something into the world that you think is lovely. I think the quality of thoughtful work always, always, shows.

So many designers on this site really push the envelope with their creativity, and that's one of the reasons I'm proud to be one among them.

That said, there are always some problems. First is that the nature of this site does not truly open up a lot of creativity. That is to say, that most of our audience is centered around TV/entertainment, so our designs are limited to promoting artists/shows. Not that that is a bad thing, but it's definitely a limitation. Secondly, there are definitely people who don't appreciate the work that goes into designing because they copy the work.

The difference between copying and being inspired is that there is no thought behind copying. There is little creativity involved in copying. It's just seeing something you like and taking it. Inspiration is taking something someone made, even if you use portions of it, and turning it into something of your own. I think it helps even the original artist, because another artist took some part of your work, or some idea in your work, and took it to another level. Maybe you won't always agree that they improved upon it, but the idea is that it changing and transforming through another person's mind. There's something very cool about that. Our work goes around this site in some form or another, someone we don't even know might see it, and be inspired and do something somewhere else, or even within IF that takes it to another level.

Great artists have been inspired by other great artists. Without inspiration, we'd all be stuck in a vaccum. If we start to police how people generate work, then I think we'd be stuck with low standards.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

a little faithAnhdara13-KingAragorn-Siddhi_

Go to top