-iktaara-

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:35am | IP Logged

"exposed" on the BBC

Published:
12:44:47 am on August 23, 2010
By:
Webmaster
Filed under: Dont Miss, News, Showbiz, Whats Hot

The BBC Asian Network managed to a pull a coup of sorts when it aired an interview with legendry filmmaker Yash Chopra who confirmed one of the most infamous affairs in Bollywood.

In the interview on Sonia Deol's show on Wednesday 11th August (listen to clip below), Yash Chopra spoke openly about the Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha affair in the late 70s / early 80s. It's the first time since the affair that a person of Yash Chopra's stature has spoken so candidly about it.

He said the affair was definitely going on before he started work on 'Silsila', which coincidentally mirrored what was happening in real life. Yash said, "I was always on tenterhooks and scared (during Silsila) because it was real life coming into reel life. Jaya is his wife and Rekha is his girlfriend the same story is going on (in real life). Anything could have happened because they are working together."

Yash said that 'Silsila' was not inspired by the infamous affair; even though the movie was released post the controversy. He further added that he was only able to complete the film (despite the rising tensions) because he had good relations with the cast. "I cast them because they are great actresses, not because of what was going on. I felt lucky to get them."

Even now, the Bachchan clan is remaining tight-lipped about what really happened, so no doubt this public revelation on the BBC Asian Network will cause embarrassment to the family.

Yash said, "When a man and woman are doing romantic scenes it's not possible they won't get in a relationship in the past it wasn't so open, but today it is. No one cared in the past."

Britain's popular Asian weekly, Eastern Eye has also covered this story. Earlier this week, showbiz editor, Asjad Nazir tweeted that the filmmaker and the BBC Asian Network had betrayed Amitabh Bachchan for exposing the affair.

Some suggested that Amitabh had met in an angry exchange with the BBC Asian Network for broadcasting the interview, however the station denied this. It said, "Following the interview with Yash Chopra on the BBC Asian Network's Sonia Deol Show on Wednesday 11 August, we have had no contact or correspondence from Amitabh Bachchan's representatives."

However, host Sonia Deol expressed her surprise at Yash's revelation, "It's a rumour we have grown up with, but no one has ever confirmed it," Sonia told Eastern Eye.

Listen back to the extract from the interview by clicking below. Clip courtesy of the BBC Asian Network.

The interview
http://www.radiosargam.com/films/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/amitabh-rekha-affair.mp3

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pria4everpooja_l

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Amitabh-Rekha affair "exposed" on the BBC" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-iktaara-

IF-Dazzler

-iktaara-

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
Ermm

SAYNO

SAYNO

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
oh cmon- i have read this in the past again in a Yash chopra intv so no great news about it.

it happens between actors given their proximity- what matters is that amitabh put aside his very strong feelings and went back to his family. Period. Actors arent robots and as long as they put the family first, i think even the wives give them that much leeway if they dont get serious - they arent made of stone. we cant judge and it doesnt make them 'bad' people- just human

Edited by dusu - 23 August 2010 at 1:53pm

bollywoodbabe1

IF-Dazzler

bollywoodbabe1

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged
WOW! I can't  believe that Yash Chopra admitted this! I thought he was a close friend of the Bachchans Confused

Edited by yeri - 23 August 2010 at 2:39pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

scinerd

chocolover89

IF-Sizzlerz

chocolover89

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged
Come on! haven't we all known that the Amitabh-Rekha affair was very much true since like 20 years now?

I'm surprised Yash Chopra confirmed it but it's not like it's a shocker!

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Irisduplex-Mmmmm-pria4everTintinleMechantDebo_Afghan

Gobsmacked

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

-Siddhi.scinerd-Mmmmm-apuxBeyond_the_Veilanku-ashna26-PoisonIvy-

chocolover89

IF-Sizzlerz

chocolover89

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by pragya0

This could end up being a kick in the back for the strong relation shared between the Bachchans and the Chopras.

Now if only yash Chopra would also confirm his son's affair with a certain other actress.Smile
Apparently they're getting marriedWink 

LabRat34

LabRat34

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 3:29pm | IP Logged
Will never know for sure until I hear it from the horse's mouth himself... Disapprove

Post Reply New Post

Go to top