Article: I was a victim to eve-teasing - Komal

janki-enonymous thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

I was a victim to eve-teasing - Komal

Komal oozes oodles of confidence when the camera starts rolling. In her early 20's, Komal aka Parvati Sehgal is completely different from her on-screen image in real life.

It is always a cake-walk for an actor if they are able to draw similarities between his reel and real life, but what if the character is completely dissimilar to your personality? Ask Komal as she has the answer to it.

The girl did face trouble enacting her character as she was not even remotely close to it in real life but she learned it gradually. Now a pro at her job, she can easily improvise and come up with her own lines. She talks about her journey, the success she has earned through her debut show and how people are unable to recognise her owing to her gaudy on-screen make-up, in real life.

Neha Maheshwri spoke to Komal on her personal and professional life and the child in the lady did all the talking.

Komal is tomboyish and a little rough around the edges,  quite in contrast to your character name. How is Parvati in real life?
Both Komal and Parvati are as different as chalk and cheese. Komal is rude, unethical and ill -mannered whereas Parvati is completely the opposite. Komal is very loud in her appearance and wears gaudy make-up and ties her hair in two plaits. She always wears saris. In real life I am quite unlike her. I love to keep my hair open and wear comfortable pair of denims and top. Talking about our character names, everyone has been christened with a name which is sometimes in contrast to their deeds and actions. My on-screen father is named as Sajjan Singh, which means a humble and generous man but he is nothing like it on the show. My brother is named after Lord Krishna, but his deeds are nothing like that of a God.

How can you, being a girl, be biased towards the fairer sex? You are in consent with your father's ideology which suggests that women should be treated like a door mat? Will your way of thinking undergo a change?
Personally, like any other normal girl, I too am against the idea of a male-dominant society. Women today are equally talented and intelligent. They are at par with men at every walk of life. There is nothing a woman can't do that a man can. As far as Komal is concerned, she has nothing to do with her father's ideology and still nurtures a kid inside her. She has been brought up in an atmosphere where women are treated badly. They are beaten up and abused openly. I have grown up watching the men of my family do all this, so I don't know any better. I have got married into a completely different and more cultured family unlike mine. Life post my marriage is in complete contrast to my life before and I am adjusting with the new family.

Born and brought up in Mumbai, how difficult was it for you to pick the accent and north Indian dialect?
I am a Punjabi and I had this thick Punjabi accent during the initial days of my career. I used to rehearse my lines in north Indian dialect but mixed it with thick Punjabi accent. But I have picked up the north Indian accent really well and now I can make lines on my own without referring to the script.

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background?
My father is a retired air-force personnel. He took a voluntary retirement as he wanted to settle down in Mumbai for my studies. He was working with Zee TV and is now with Ad labs working with Manmohan Shetty, who is also the co-producer of the show Partigya.

Is there any pressure on you to excel on the show considering that your father is a part of the production unit of Pratigya?
He has nothing to do with the production aspect of the company. My father is the legal head of the company and manages the finance and legal aspects.

What are your other interests apart from acting?
I love singing and dancing. I am a trained singer and have been pursuing vocal since I was seven years old. My mother is a classical singer and I have learned singing from her. I am also a trained Bharatnatyam dancer. I also go for animation classes and I am currently in my second year of graduation.

What are you passionate about the most – singing, dancing or acting?
Ah! That's a tough call. I enjoy singing and dancing but acting remains to be my passion. I too as a kid used to wear make-up and act in front of the mirror. Like they say, give a girl make-up, a comb and nice dress to wear but take away the mirror from her and she would probably die.

As an actor do you stick to scripts or improvise? How spontaneous are you as an actor?
Sticking to scripts and following it word to word is always difficult. Also when you mug up your line and just blurt it out, it ends up looking lifeless.

How do you rate yourself on a scale of 10?
It wouldn't be wise to judge myself but going by the reaction and responses I have been receiving, I would give myself an eight on 10.

How much do you credit Pratigya for your success and fame?
This is my debut show and I have already bagged an award in a span of just six months for the most popular negative actress.

Do you really think your character is negative on the show?
Not really. But comparing myself with decent and grounded Saxena's, I am rude and ill-behaved which looks negative on the show.

How does your family react whenever they see you on-screen in your gaudy and loud avatar?
Well, my parents didn't know that I will be hurling abuses on the show. The very first shot had me say – aye saala. My parents were taken by shock but they know that it's just a character and I will have to do whatever is required to make it look authentic.

You have been against your sister-in-law Pratigya and have never really liked her. Why do you think she is wrong?Honestly, I am not against her. It's just that I have been married to her brother in bargain as my brother Krishna fell in love with Pratigya and wanted to marry her at any cost. Without my consent he gives his word to Adarsh and I am married off to him which is something I couldn't take kindly to.

Since you are doing a show that throws light on the issue of eve-teasing and illiteracy. How do you assert the importance of education and safety of girls for the growth of our country and society?
I strongly feel that education is important for the overall growth of the society and country. An educated female results in a healthy and educated family tree. As she knows the pros and cons of every step she takes. Talking about safety, Mumbai is safer than any other part of the country. The show is the mirror image of what really takes place in the cow-belt region. There are two contradicting families on the show and the audience is sensible enough to know, which family to support and stand for.

Have you even been a victim to eve-teasing?
I remember colouring my hair golden when I was in standard 11th. I was just crossing the street and there were a couple of guys who passed lewd comments at me. If that's what is it, then I have been eve-teased. I couldn't pick up a fight with them as I was all alone and it could have resulted in an ugly situation for me.

Who is your favourite co-actor from the show?
My on-screen Thakur family is my favourite. I love shooting with them as they indulge in having fun. Saxena family keeps crying on-screen all the time, so it's always a little serious business shooting with them (laughs).

How do you guys unwind yourself?
Best part is that the camera never stops rolling and when it does we go back to our make-up rooms to catch up with our sleep. That's how we unwind off camera.

What kind of response do you get when you visit public places?
Primarily, they don't recognise me as I don't look similar to my on-screen image. I am very subtle and sober off-screen. If they happen to recognise me, they praise me for my style of delivering the dialogues especially 'aye saala'.

How does it feel to be a part of Comedy Circus?
Oh! It's been an amazing experience for me. Participating in a show of this format helps boost your confidence and morale. You are adjudicated by two people who are laughing at your jokes and judging you. You goof up while delivering your lines and the whole act falls flat.

It is generally believed that daily soap actors aren't really fit to do stand – up comedy barring a few. Your comment.
I totally disagree with this. In fact, I have reached the finale of the show which validates the fact that daily soap artists can make a decent stand-up comedian and hopefully, I will go on to win the show.

Lastly, what's your relationship status?
I am single. Have you heard of any link-ups?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

minuu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 13 years ago
Thanks for sharing. I love her answers.
pooja-menon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7