Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: angie.4u

I see a lot of interest  generated on DM regarding meditation and related topics 😃 For those interested , I m posting the following series of video clippings that explain the basics of meditation and some experiences related to it. Describing the experience to someone who has no experience at all would be like trying to describe the fragrance of a jasmine or a rose to someone who has never smelled one ! Words are quite ineffective. But I hope the videos will convey quite a fair idea of what meditation is all about. Just posting the clipping on the astral projection part wouldnt have conveyed it properly so I ve included the procedure of meditation, energy body, third eye vision, astral body, birth and death too along with it. The word consciousness here, refers to individual consciousness or soul as we know it and not the universal or collective consciousness as expressed in some other threads.

So here goes
Video clip No. 1 
Regarding basic breathing technique during meditation
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4UmQNvimE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Great vid.
But one of the most recommended methods of meditation and concentration is looking at a candle or a light. Some watch the breath too using the "Soham" mantra as the air flows in and out. Meditation is more internal then external, which mean our mind has to be calm and at peace.
Some naturally gifted persons can do it even while lying down.
But I think each one of us will all have some special experience, this is to encourage us not to give up.
*dewdrop~pearl* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mister.K.

Oh! I didn't mean property as in assets. I meant property as in a physical or chemical characteristic. For example, properties of water are adhesion and cohesion. In that respect, consciousness is not a characteristic/property of us. It's still very hard to define what that is.

And I sincerely advise people not to trust anyone who claims that they could "travel outside the body", whatever that means. Claims like "has the ability to sense energy" or "has the ability to see an aura behind people" are dubious to say the least. As for "reading" license plates of cars parked outside of his house, may be he has a security camera installed or he has guys working for him whispering those numbers to him on a wireless radio walkie-talkie.

I am not the kind of person who would believe anyone who talks such unbelievable things until I personally experience it. There are several people who claim to have special 'powers' etc., I dont believe them blindly. Infact till recently I was skeptical about the existance of God as well. I used to visit temples, pray regularly and all that, but if you ask me whether I really believed in God, my realistic answer would have been NO! Maybe I used to go to temples and stuff because I was conditioned to do so by my parents and their upbringing. But today after various miracles and unbelievable experiences in life connected to God, I can confidently say that 'Yes, I do believe in God'. Generally I dont discuss those experiences in detail with anyone as I know people are skeptical and most of them will not believe me, not even my closest friends. 

Even when I met this guy initially, even after 2-3 experiences with him, I refused to believe him or believe that such things exist. But then after couple of shocking and unbelievable personal experiences which however logically and scientifically you try to analyse, it is impossible to find the answer, I had no choice but to believe him. These are really personal experiences, but am sure if anyone hears about it, they will not be able to reason it out logically. It actually took atleast 5-6 unbelievable experiences with this guy before I started believing all this.

And regarding the license plate thing, he never demonstrated it or anything, just told me about it when he was explaining how everything started.

Edited by *dewdrop~pearl* - 13 years ago
Originally posted by: Summer3

Do not worry too much about the mind as after a while (or some years) it will come to rest of itself.
I had the same problems too earlier but my mind is much calmer now. sometimes when I think of the peace and beauty it feels great and slowly but surely I lapse into oblivion; I must learn to keep awake.😆

Hey thanks Summer 😊. They say that there is a right time for everything, especially for entering into Spirituality. Certain experiences in life trigger the beginning of such things in each person's life. Some people have to go through hell before they actually enter the path of Spirituality, whereas for some people curiosity and need to explore oneself takes them to this path. Even regarding meditation, I have heard that there is a right time to start doing it. When lot of things are happening in your life and there are lots of things to accomplish, you might not be mentally prepared to meditate regularly. But when all these things calm down, you might be in a position to start off and maintain it regularly. Even mental agony can motivate a person to chose this path in search of peace of mind.

So Summer, what kind of meditation do you practice, and have you ever had any special experience in connection with meditation 😳?

Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: *dewdrop~pearl*

Hey thanks Summer 😊. They say that there is a right time for everything, especially for entering into Spirituality. Certain experiences in life trigger the beginning of such things in each person's life. Some people have to go through hell before they actually enter the path of Spirituality, whereas for some people curiosity and need to explore oneself takes them to this path. Even regarding meditation, I have heard that there is a right time to start doing it. When lot of things are happening in your life and there are lots of things to accomplish, you might not be mentally prepared to meditate regularly. But when all these things calm down, you might be in a position to start off and maintain it regularly. Even mental agony can motivate a person to chose this path in search of peace of mind.

So Summer, what kind of meditation do you practice, and have you ever had any special experience in connection with meditation 😳?

I do not do much meditations except  before going to bed when i try to free my mind; most times my mind is quite free. 😆
I am not that strongly into spiritual or religious life but I do spend some time thinking about it. Once while sleeping early in the morning I received some instructions to relax my body and concentrate in the forehead region inbetween the eyes. I think every second we are being watched ( maybe by our own Higher self).
I love to relax my chest  and do very slow breathing through the noise and it becomes completely silent ( diaphram or stomach breathing). We can bring whatever images we want to concentrate on into our minds, I can think of some friends long dead n gone or of any Godhead I want, like  Radha Krishna which is my most favourite. If we think deeply enough of a Godhead, they will appear before us but still that is not the ultimate and we have to go beyond it too. Anyway I have yet to reach the shores .
Some persons I know hardly go to the temple or pray and yet slip into meditation very easily and communicate with their personal Godhead. Yet still others are in communion all the time.
 It is important for us to find our own Godhead or guide , who resides in us.
There are many highly developed souls around everywhere and it is not easy to recognise them.
Once a full time hospice lady  volunteer was lecturing and I was with a friend ( who was new to the place too). Then she told me about the lady and how she prays everyday and asks God to show her the way in helping others. She knew of all this even without talking to her.
I think many strange things happen all around us all the time.
I still cannot explain how my favourite watch (which I lost )reappear after 5 years, there are very few persons in my house and I do not have that much visitors.

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Its natural to be skeptical about certain things until one experiences it .Certain events or experiences sometimes force one to rethink.
Originally posted by: Summer3

I do not do much meditations except  before going to bed when i try to free my mind; most times my mind is quite free. 😆
I am not that strongly into spiritual or religious life but I do spend some time thinking about it. Once while sleeping early in the morning I received some instructions to relax my body and concentrate in the forehead region inbetween the eyes. I think every second we are being watched ( maybe by our own Higher self).
I love to relax my chest  and do very slow breathing through the noise and it becomes completely silent ( diaphram or stomach breathing). We can bring whatever images we want to concentrate on into our minds, I can think of some friends long dead n gone or of any Godhead I want, like  Radha Krishna which is my most favourite. If we think deeply enough of a Godhead, they will appear before us but still that is not the ultimate and we have to go beyond it too. Anyway I have yet to reach the shores .
Some persons I know hardly go to the temple or pray and yet slip into meditation very easily and communicate with their personal Godhead. Yet still others are in communion all the time.
 It is important for us to find our own Godhead or guide , who resides in us.
There are many highly developed souls around everywhere and it is not easy to recognise them.
Once a full time hospice lady  volunteer was lecturing and I was with a friend ( who was new to the place too). Then she told me about the lady and how she prays everyday and asks God to show her the way in helping others. She knew of all this even without talking to her.
I think many strange things happen all around us all the time.
I still cannot explain how my favourite watch (which I lost )reappear after 5 years, there are very few persons in my house and I do not have that much visitors.

Your right. Whenever you are not able to concentrate while doing meditation or keep your mind empty, they say the best way is to picturise your favorite God/Goddess and concentration becomes easier 😳. Not only God, you can picturise anything that gives you peace of mind, like maybe your parents or like someone here said, a peaceful garden, etc.

And you are absolutely right about what you said about people going to temples and those who dont. I personally believe it is important to be Spiritual even if one is not Religious, as opposed to the popular belief system in our country. In India, what I have noticed is that most people are religious but not spiritual. Lot of religious people still havent understood the true meaning of 'God'. They believe that the only way of reaching God is through these religious places like temples, churches, mosques, etc. There is nothing wrong in being religious, as long as you understand the true meaning of religion and God, and its purpose. I personally know lot of people who are hardcore religious, but its the same people who do more bad deeds in life. They consider it to be alright to do such things as they believe that as long as they pray, all their sins will be forgiven. But they dont realise that religion is only a path to spirituality and that spirituality is the ultimate thing. Religion is definitely helpful in guiding you through your spiritual path but believing that this path is your destination and forgetting spirituality in an effort to be religious is undesirable. And if you have got the wrong perception and meaning of religion it is bound to have an opposite effect, and rather than helping it can even misguide you. Similarly there are lot of people who are able to reach their spiritual destination without the help of religion, which is perfectly fine. Thus such people who are not religious and dont believe in doing too many religious things are also able to attain God and their ultimate aim of self-realisation.

Like you, even I have met couple of strange people who can sense things which normal people cannot. As they say, as you climb higher levels in spirituality, slowly slowly your 6th sense gets activated. All of us are at different levels of spirituality, some of us at low and some at higher levels. It is very difficult to make a person operating at lower levels of spirituality to understand spirituality and its facets as they will only understand these things when their time comes. Till then they will not even believe you or believe in the existence of anything that doesnt have physical or scientific evidence. Because the 1st step to spirituality and self-realisation itself is to believe in it.

Like your watch incident, several unexplainable incidents have happened to me as well. I feel elated when these happen, but also feel bad that I dont have much people around me who are travelling in the same boat as me to discuss these things with, as most people around me are skeptical about such things and I know they will never believe me 😒, and many people laugh sarcastically when I try to talk out these things . Thats when someone told me to just keep my experiences to myself and no need to discuss it with everyone, unless I meet people of my similar wavelength and spiritual beliefs.

Originally posted by: angie.4u

Its natural to be skeptical about certain things until one experiences it .Certain events or experiences sometimes force one to rethink.

Thats exactly what has happened in my case, its a turn of certain events in my life that activated spiritual connection in my life. Even though those events were of negative nature which I really hate to even think about, now coming to think of it, maybe it was meant to happen for a higher purpose 😊, and now I have actually reduced my brooding and cursing of those events the way I used to always do before ðŸ˜³.

Originally posted by: sorcerer

Its not compelling yourself to breathe right !
Meditation is means concentration, focus and adapt yourself to an environment away from distractions. So that you work better .

Meditation is not just deep breathing. It is "mindfulness" in any tasks undertaken. Meditation can be eating, walking or even jumping. It basically stems from the theory to do just one thing at a time.

When you focus on one thing at a time, your brain actually performs 10 times faster than it actually does.
Regarding consciousness,

"You can go on changing the outer for lives and you will never be satisfied; something or other will remain to be changed. Unless the inner changes, the outer can never be perfect."  - Osho.

Very well said 😳.

@ bold blue - Very true. Even scientifically it makes lot of sense to concentrate solely on one activity at a time which really increases the efficiency of the act.

And I also agree with Osho's phrase. Even I believe that a dynamic person is one who can mould himself easily according to the external conditions, as the only thing that a human being has control over is his inner self. External environment, people, their attitude and behaviour, etc. will always remain unpredictable, so keeping our inner self equipped to face this dynamic world is the secret to a peaceful and successful life 😉, ie., bringing about harmony between the external and internal world 😳.

Summer3 thumbnail
Sorry but Osho was a disgraced yogi called Rajish and I have read his works they are very disjointed ideas and I am unimpressed.
He was formerly charged in US too.
Anyway all have their freedom to select whom they want to follow.
Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: *dewdrop~pearl*

Your right. Whenever you are not able to concentrate while doing meditation or keep your mind empty, they say the best way is to picturise your favorite God/Goddess and concentration becomes easier 😳. Not only God, you can picturise anything that gives you peace of mind, like maybe your parents or like someone here said, a peaceful garden, etc.

And you are absolutely right about what you said about people going to temples and those who dont. I personally believe it is important to be Spiritual even if one is not Religious, as opposed to the popular belief system in our country. In India, what I have noticed is that most people are religious but not spiritual. Lot of religious people still havent understood the true meaning of 'God'. They believe that the only way of reaching God is through these religious places like temples, churches, mosques, etc. There is nothing wrong in being religious, as long as you understand the true meaning of religion and God, and its purpose. I personally know lot of people who are hardcore religious, but its the same people who do more bad deeds in life. They consider it to be alright to do such things as they believe that as long as they pray, all their sins will be forgiven. But they dont realise that religion is only a path to spirituality and that spirituality is the ultimate thing. Religion is definitely helpful in guiding you through your spiritual path but believing that this path is your destination and forgetting spirituality in an effort to be religious is undesirable. And if you have got the wrong perception and meaning of religion it is bound to have an opposite effect, and rather than helping it can even misguide you. Similarly there are lot of people who are able to reach their spiritual destination without the help of religion, which is perfectly fine. Thus such people who are not religious and dont believe in doing too many religious things are also able to attain God and their ultimate aim of self-realisation.

Like you, even I have met couple of strange people who can sense things which normal people cannot. As they say, as you climb higher levels in spirituality, slowly slowly your 6th sense gets activated. All of us are at different levels of spirituality, some of us at low and some at higher levels. It is very difficult to make a person operating at lower levels of spirituality to understand spirituality and its facets as they will only understand these things when their time comes. Till then they will not even believe you or believe in the existence of anything that doesnt have physical or scientific evidence. Because the 1st step to spirituality and self-realisation itself is to believe in it.

Like your watch incident, several unexplainable incidents have happened to me as well. I feel elated when these happen, but also feel bad that I dont have much people around me who are travelling in the same boat as me to discuss these things with, as most people around me are skeptical about such things and I know they will never believe me 😒, and many people laugh sarcastically when I try to talk out these things . Thats when someone told me to just keep my experiences to myself and no need to discuss it with everyone, unless I meet people of my similar wavelength and spiritual beliefs.

Devotion is private and personal and it is your special relationship between you and your chosen God. None should come in between or interfere. Each one has a very special relationship I think.
No matter how true your experience there will be unbelievers and scoffers, so pointless to waste time with them. you know everything personally in your heart that all will be okay.

But truely wonders never cease. There are several good books which should be read by all I think. Even the simplest book like the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is so filled with devotion.
It virtually feels as if we are sitting next to Him.