Page   of 5
Page 4 Page 5

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

ironically, the fat man spoke in a very boring manner lol

Yup that was a very dry presentation by him. Its ironic that the discussion on funny/unfunny was so sirius.

Anyway here is his original write up: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

The rebuttal article: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/04/funnygirls200804

He makes a couple of valid points though. One thing girls always say that they look for in men is a sense of humor and the ability to make them laugh. So women never have felt the need or pressure to be witty or funny. In fact men tend to feel threatened if the woman is funny. Even within groups of friends, groups of guys always look up to the funny one, the one who makes the most jokes or does the funniest stuff. Groups of women on the other hand are more diverse, sentimentality, maturity, emotions play a major role in socialization and the goof or the funny one is actually lower on the social ladder.

Secondly yes most funny women tend to be dykes or Jews (Ellen, Cho, Sykes, Silverman). Stand up comedy is usually brutal. It needs a lot of confidence and balls to go up on stage and be politically incorrect, to offend, to face the criticism and backlash. Its qualities often frowned upon in women. Except of course if you are a dyke or if you are Jewish (its some auto immunity thing). Muslims have that autoimmunity too but forget female Muslim women, you would be hard pressed to that many Muslim funny men either. Women have to face it, most women are just silly giggly for no good reason at all.

But I don't think his arguments really explain "Why women aren't funny" but more off why "Women are discouraged/not encouraged to be funny". With changing gender roles the stereotypes are changing. Men are being more appreciative to women being funny and many women are stepping upto the plate. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are to women who are known to be good looking as well as funny and popular with the men too. The new face of female comedy.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are women Funny or Not? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged
I loved Tina Fey's potrayal of Sarah Palin on SNL...I think it was one of the highlights of the election that year and I am sure it must have cost the republicans some votes....

I also like Sandra Bullock a lot...she is funny....even when she is in a romantic or a serious role...that funny side sticks to her...

I love Ellen D and her dances....wish she had not come on AI though..

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
Alright Simi had started a discussion on the dearth of female composers. Somehow we got to discussing women and humor. So I moved the posts here for a discussion on male vs female stand up and sense of humor.

Edited by return_to_hades - 05 August 2010 at 10:51pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
Part of the problem to me is not that women lack a sense of humor or an ability to be funny. For some reason women feel restrained in expressing their humor.  I've had female friends who will crack a really hilarious joke or say something, but won't share it with too many people out of fear that its offensive or politically incorrect or people will look down on that sense of humor.

That is why one has got to love Tina Fey. This one is wrong on so many levels, but so funny. Not many women would be up to self deprecating or making fun of this level.

But this is the one Tina Fey will always be known for.

Angel-likeDevil

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged

Seriousness I hate I am really seriousBig smile...Male or female...If you can laugh at yourself, everything is okay. People laugh at others, bt never laugh at themselves.... It has to be learned. If you can laugh at yourself, seriousness is already gone...I think God is not serious at all...otherwise god would not have been able to create the world if he had no sense of humor....if we check all animals are serious people....they never laugh...they cant laugh...seriousness is part of animality...I think Knowing brings a playfulness...knowing brings a sense of humour. male/female sense of humour is a must..I have lots of female friends who have gr8 sense of humour & I love to laugh and I love it when the person's laugh is funnier than the actual joke.....Smile

Meena1

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 11:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

That is why one has got to love Tina Fey. This one is wrong on so many levels, but so funny. Not many women would be up to self deprecating or making fun of this level.

Does "I caught myself singing a Justin Beiber song" go at the beginning or the end of a suicide note?....Sorry Being Mean to Justin Bieber, I think She has Feelings Too TongueBig smile

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 06 August 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged

women are usually very boring, at least the ones I've met in real life. Apart from farah khan , my mother and her sisters, my granma, I havent met any funny woman/girl in real life, except our sanskirt teacher who called some guy a bas***d. and she wasnt  funny, just the fact that she called him one was.

The only girls who made me laugh on this forum are middy and mahi. The rest arent boring by any means, but they arent FUNNY.

HEY, WHAT ABOUT ME?Wink

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 06 August 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

women are usually very boring, at least the ones I've met in real life. Apart from farah khan , my mother and her sisters, my granma, I havent met any funny woman/girl in real life, except our sanskirt teacher who called some guy a bas***d. and she wasnt  funny, just the fact that she called him one was.

The only girls who made me laugh on this forum are middy and mahi. The rest arent boring by any means, but they arent FUNNY.

HEY, WHAT ABOUT ME?Wink

ur pretty funny too LOL especially your siggies

Post Reply New Post

Go to top