'Amitabh And I': A New Book

kanchi Goldie
kanchi
kanchi

Posted: 19 September 2004 at 11:50pm | IP Logged
'Amitabh And I': A New Book

By Taran Adarsh, September 17th, 2004 - 1045 hrs IST

Download image as wallpaper

Mehmood's brother Anwar Ali surprised Amitabh Bachchan with a book on his friendship with him, called 'Amitabh and I'. Not many are aware that Anwar and Amitabh have been close friends for years and have been responsible for the close bond between Mehmood and Bachchan.

"Amitabh is a serious person. But there are times when he cracks up. Once he told me this joke about two bananas talking to each other. 'What did one banana tell the other?' he asked. And then when I could not reply, he said, 'Will you marry me? I am akela.' That's him at his best,' said Anwar Ali.

For Bachchan, the book was a revelation. "Annu and I began our careers together with K.A. Abbas' SAAT HINDUSTANI. We have been very close friends and our families have been very close as well. I used to live at Marine Drive and he at Andheri. But I visited them very often and stayed with them as well. I didn't even know that he was writing a book. I hope he has not mentioned a lot of things that we did together. We have been bachelors and have committed many a naughty act together," said Bachchan at the event.

Bachchan was at his wittiest best and the bonding with Anwar showed. "Why don't you keep quiet when I am talking," said Bachchan, when Anwar repeatedly wisecracked during Bachchan's speech. "He has this habit of butting in frequently," said Bachchan. "But I am moved by the fact that the book has been dedicated to my late father Harivanshrai Bachchan and his late brother Mehmood," he added.

The launch at Mumbai's Mangi Ferra was conducted by Culture Creations and had Anwar's wife and the actual writer of the book Mona Mathur Ali reading out a few lines from the book. The Commissioner of Income Tax Urvashi Saxena released the book.

Old friends of the duo Danny Dengzongpa with wife Gawa and son and actor Ranjeet and wife Nazneen were also present at the launch along with the Minister of State for Home Kripashankar Singh and his wife.

The book has been designed by Sucharita Sengupta and has illustrations by Bijit Kundu. The book does not contain photographs and only has illustrations. The coffee table book is priced at Rs. 999.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top