Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

monica201 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Priyanka acted well in fashion but is it good enough to call her the actress of the decade?

Rani ,preity, aish and kajol can be called actresses of the decade. Edited by monica201 - 13 years ago

Originally posted by: xetaxeta

I don't see how Rani or Priety could be called acresses of the decade because they sort of vanished after 2005. Thats half a decade gone. Kajol cannot be called one either because she's only done Kuch khatti kuch mitthi, raju chacha, Fanna,K3G, MINK and U me aur hum since 2000. Out of which only 3 worked. So she's out as well. Katrina on the other hand is only a hit machine. As for Priyanka, Kareena et al, they have not come up with consistent performances throughout the decade to be lauded with such a title. Aishwarya has brought a lot of international acclaim to Bollywood but only due to her endoresements and beauty, all her international projects either tanked or met with derision with the exception of Provoked which did receive some critical acclaim. So yea who's on top? None of them really.

I see Priyanka in this poll as a default winner, if Kareena or Aishwarya had won it, I'd still feel the same. Frankly none of them were worth being crowned the best actress of the decade. Best star maybe.

You're right. There's not a single actress who has been consistent throughout the decade. Preity/Rani were rocking throughout the early to middle 2000s, but then got completely vanished afterwords. Kareena and Priyanka's major works are from the middle 2000s to its end; they have very few eye-catching, memorable or remarkable performances in the early 2000s. Kajol and Ash gave a few good performances every now and then throughout the whole decade - unlike the former four - but the numbers are very scarce.

If it was the 90's, it would have been so difficult to choose between Madhuri, Kajol, Manisha, Tabu, Juhi, Sridevi, Urmilla... 90's saw some of the most talented and gifted actresses - be it commercial stars like Kajol and Madhuri, or critically acclaimed ones like Manisha, Urmlla, Tabu, which is quite a shame, because the films/directors in the 90s were not as good as it is now. Recent strings of actresses are pretty lucky as they get the chance to work with the likes of Vishal, Madhur, et al (and their films have started doing well commercially too), whereas, the popular 90s actresses got stuck (esp. Kajol) with the KJo/YRF route, which produced mainly one-dimensional roles with no depth. Some of the 90s actresses had done well and some still doing well either commercially or critically, like Kajol, Urmilla, Tabu. Something in me tells me that people aren't going to remember the 2000 actresses like they remembers the 90s one.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 13 years ago
If people cannot agree with opinions then don't, no one is forcing you to. However, don't make opinions facts.

I personally think that acting in movies and how it is precieved is very subjected. One person may think O M G, what a performance etc. The next person, however, may take that performance as medicore or not the best. We all have different opinions, so can please just accept them? Critics may hail a performance, but that does not mean everyone will agree with the critics etc. Same goes for box office hits. I hated Ghajni and the acting was meh, for example.

Hence, there is really no fact here that so and so is better etc. Everyone has a different opinion on actors/actresses, and they won't change.

For me personally, I found Priyanka's acting in Fashion medicore, and Kareena's in JWM and another one that the name escapes me (it's called one of her best). Others think the opposite, and I welcome that. I would not mind discussing it with others with differing views-meet in the middle. I am sure we'd have engaging discussions. Likewise, I am sure everyone can carry on a discussion without being sarcastic or rude/personal with each other.

monica201 thumbnail

Originally posted by: xetaxeta

I don't see how Rani or Priety could be called acresses of the decade because they sort of vanished after 2005. Thats half a decade gone. Kajol cannot be called one either because she's only done Kuch khatti kuch mitthi, raju chacha, Fanna,K3G, MINK and U me aur hum since 2000. Out of which only 3 worked. So she's out as well. Katrina on the other hand is only a hit machine. As for Priyanka, Kareena et al, they have not come up with consistent performances throughout the decade to be lauded with such a title. Aishwarya has brought a lot of international acclaim to Bollywood but only due to her endoresements and beauty, all her international projects either tanked or met with derision with the exception of Provoked which did receive some critical acclaim. So yea who's on top? None of them really.

I see Priyanka in this poll as a default winner, if Kareena or Aishwarya had won it, I'd still feel the same. Frankly none of them were worth being crowned the best actress of the decade. Best star maybe.

rani and preity have done movies after 2005 and recieved good reviews. It's true that their movies were not hit but they got critical acclaim which count towards ACTRESS of the decade. Here's the movies rani and preity did after 2005!

Preity
Har Pall (2010) (Under Production) ...... Runa
Videsh - Heaven On Earth (March 13, 2009) (Released) ...... Chand
Heroes (October 24, 2008) (Released) ...... Kuljeet Kaur
The Last Lear (September 12, 2008) (Released) ...... Shabnam 
Jhoom Barabar Jhoom (June 15, 2007) (Released) ...... Alvira Khan
Jaan-E-Mann (October 20, 2006) (Released) ...... Piya Goyal
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (August 11, 2006) (Released) ...... Rhea Saran

Rani
No One Killed Jessica (December 10, 2010) (Under Production)
Dil Bole Hadippa! (September 18, 2009) (Released) ...... Veera Kaur / Veer Pratap Singh
Saawariya (November 9, 2007) (Released) ...... Gulab
Laaga Chunari Mein Daag (October 12, 2007) (Released) ...... Badki
Ta Ra Rum Pum (April 27, 2007) (Released) ...... Radhika
Baabul (December 8, 2006) (Released) ...... Milli
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (August 11, 2006) (Released

Edited by monica201 - 13 years ago

Originally posted by: monica201

rani and preity have done movies after 2005 and recieved good reviews. It's true that their movies were not hit but they got critical acclaim which count towards ACTRESS of the decade. Here's the movies rani and preity did after 2005!

Preity
Har Pall (2010) (Under Production) ...... Runa
Videsh - Heaven On Earth (March 13, 2009) (Released) ...... Chand
Heroes (October 24, 2008) (Released) ...... Kuljeet Kaur
The Last Lear (September 12, 2008) (Released) ...... Shabnam 
Jhoom Barabar Jhoom (June 15, 2007) (Released) ...... Alvira Khan
Jaan-E-Mann (October 20, 2006) (Released) ...... Piya Goyal
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (August 11, 2006) (Released) ...... Rhea Saran

Rani
No One Killed Jessica (December 10, 2010) (Under Production)
Dil Bole Hadippa! (September 18, 2009) (Released) ...... Veera Kaur / Veer Pratap Singh
Saawariya (November 9, 2007) (Released) ...... Gulab
Laaga Chunari Mein Daag (October 12, 2007) (Released) ...... Badki
Ta Ra Rum Pum (April 27, 2007) (Released) ...... Radhika
Baabul (December 8, 2006) (Released) ...... Milli
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (August 11, 2006) (Released

No one Killed Jessica and Har Pall hasn't been released yet - which could be a turning point in their declining careers - so we can't take that into account. And if we are going to include the likes of Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, Ta Ra Rum Pum and Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic into some of their better performances, then even Kareena and Priyanka had done such mediocre jobs in the first half of the decade, like K3G, Asoka, Mujhse Shadi Karogi etc. Thing is, Rani/Preity's golden time was the first half of the decade, whereas Kareena/Priyanka's (Priyanka more than Kareena because Kareena still had some decent jobs in the early 2000s) was in the latter half. If we are talking about the whole decade, then consistency should be taken into account too. And Kat's major works start after 2007, so she is excluded too. Same goes for Kangana Ranaut, Vidya Balan, Bipasha Basu, etc.

One crucial reason why Ash/Kajol were at the top of the list Princess Sunara gave was because, despite of them having very limited releases in this decade, they were pretty much consistent. Starting the decade well with Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hain and K3G, they went on to deliver Raincoat / Chokher Bali / Faana / Dhoom2, which reinstated their positions in the industry, and are still going strongly with performances like U, Me aur Hum / Jodha Akbar, or in recent times, My Name is Khan and Ash had Guzarish on her hand. On the contrary, Rani/Preity simply disappeared after the middle 2000s and they don't have any major films on their hands either.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 13 years ago
TintinleMechant thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
 i know everyone was sounding all the alarms for PC in Fashion, but i dont know, i was never blown away by it. I'm ususally blown away by performances actresses give that NOBODY else could have done. PC in Kaminey was in my own opinion a more subtle and talented performance than the one in Fashion.

All that aside, yeah i dont think PC is in any way the actress of the decade. Aish might not be the most talented actress, but if were strictly looking at the span of her career, and where it peeked, she ended the 90's with Hum DIl De Chuke Sanam and Taal establishing her role in the industry, and then went on to give hit films/notable films every year up to 2010 except for a lag in 2004-05. And now she's wrapping it up with Endhiran. I'm not on the Aish fan club boat, but i think logically she would have been a better choice than PC.
Edited by masakaliii - 13 years ago
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
How is Priyanka the actress of the decade? Please.......she doesn't deserve it at all, I think for me it's Kareena because she has climbed her way to become a fantastic actress I enjoyed watching her films throughout 2000-2009 I know she had her ups and downs but I think she has done fantastic work, Priyanka did well in Fashion but other than that I don't think there is anything special about her films. I agree Aish may not have had a good few years in the industry but she certainly deserves some recognition, I loved her acting in Hum Dil Chuke Sanam, she was amazing in Devdas and I enjoyed watching her in Jodhaa Akbar I even think she was wayyyyyy better than Priyanka. I do think Priyanka didn't deserve the National award because I've seen better performances.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Frankly speaking I don't think we have a best actress of the decade.
Rani and Preity did good work up until 2005-2006 and then disappeared after that. Kareena and Priyanka rose to fame near then and have strengthened their position now. Katrina is only a hit machine who has very little acting talent--but her climb started around 2007. So unless 3 years = a decade she's nowhere in the running. Ash has worked the entire decade and has had some memorable films and performances even though I don't think she's that great of an actress. Kajol also only has a handful of releases in this decade because she chose to take a sabbatical and take care of her family.

Now if I must pick solely on my opinion and possibly bias, I think Kajol and Rani.  

Also let's give credit where it's due, PC had established herself before Fashion.
Edited by chocolover89 - 13 years ago
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
It's not about established herself before Fashion. It's just some people think her only good work are fashion and kaminey and sometimes Aitraaz. Which is not a good thing, after being in the industry as long as she has, we would expect an actress at her position to have more than 2 or 3 memorable performances.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
^Kareena's performances are also up for debate. Films and performances solely depend on how people perceive them. I am not saying PC deserves to top the list, but I'm saying that she was an established actress and star well before Fashion. Like Kareena was established before JWM. 

I think PC was really good in Aitraaz, far better than Kareena was in the movie. I'm sure somebody will disagree with me.