Page 2 Page 3

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

I-F Crazy Creatives Head, BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged

The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires

by Monika Bartyzel Jul 27th 2010 // 8:15PM

Filed under: Romance, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Fandom

One of the most chastised elements in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga is the fact that her tough-as-nails vampires sparkle. Perhaps the masses could get over the lack of pointy teeth, and maybe even the ability to go out in the sunlight, but to sparkle when the sun hits? Blasphemy! Anne Rice making her old vamps have papery skin is one thing, but likening a killer's visage with a sparkly diamond is another thing entirely. Dracula is rolling over in his dirt-lined crypt!

But there might be solid science behind the whys. You've just got to stomach this one fact: Vampires are highly evolved insects.

I Like a Little Science in My Fiction has written an excellent post that explains how and why Meyer's vampires sparkle. It all comes down to their many buggy comparisons. The theory starts with the knowledge that most of the hematophages in the world -- a fancy word for blood eaters -- are bugs. Like fleas, vampires must feed before they reproduce, which triggers a painful metamorphosis. Like butterflies, vamps can remember things from their lowly caterpillar/human days. They're cold-blooded, and have a hard exoskeleton instead of soft, pliable skin. Their speed is like that of the super-fast Tiger Beetle, strong like the horned dung beetle, and have eyes that put our human versions to shame.

But finally -- why do they sparkle? The site posits that vampires must be like butterflies -- sometimes known to feed on blood -- who have tiny iridescent scales.

Yes, it's silly, but it also makes a whole lot of sense. So, next time you pull a Bella and gush over Edward's sparkling face and divine beauty, keep in mind -- you might be lusting for a highly evolved insect.

Source: http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/27/the-real-science-behind-sparkly-vampires/

*I don't buy it. This explanation didn't make any sense from my POV*

*Jot*

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

dreamer_dreams

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why do the Twilight Vamps Sparkle?" in Twilight forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ROBlicious.

IF-Sizzlerz

ROBlicious.

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged
I don't  get this.
So vampires are like butterflies?

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xoHarshaxo

I don't  get this.
So vampires are like butterflies?
Yeah, apparently.ConfusedLOL

.anjz.

IF-Sizzlerz

.anjz.

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged
No, i think they are mix of many insects.... bugs.  fleas,  butterflies,  Tiger Beetle,  horned dung beetle, etc ROFL 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

chinnu_kaviAngel-Jot.ROBlicious.luv_winchesters

dm_hpcrazy

dm_hpcrazy

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
perhaps SMeyer should have called them her own creatures/monsters rather vampires...

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by dm_hpcrazy

perhaps SMeyer should have called them her own creatures/monsters rather vampires...
LOLYou're right. Ahh i love your avi and first sig!! Ian is soo....*faints*LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

dm_hpcrazyluv_winchesters

dreamer_dreams

IF-Rockerz

dreamer_dreams

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged
well it doesnt matter to me
i still like edward Day Dreaming
and butterflies are beautiful lolzz

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-Jot.ROBlicious.luv_winchesters

dm_hpcrazy

dm_hpcrazy

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angad-Kripa#1

Originally posted by dm_hpcrazy

LOL<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">You're right. Ahh i love your avi and first sig!! Ian is soo....*faints*LOL</font>

Thanks Smile
Her 'vampires' are the least vampire type vampires i have ever met/seen/read about.
Ian = Heart Heart
he is Nuke toxiccc Tongue

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-Jot.luv_winchesters

Post Reply New Post

Go to top