Article:Survival of the fittest? TV figures it out

r_ahmed_shah thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Survival of the fittest? TV figures it out

Akash Wadhwa, TNN, Jul 27, 2010, 11.27am IST

Survival of the fittest? TV figures it out

kareena Kapoor may have introduced Bollywood to size zero, but the Perfect-10 bod is as much coveted by TV stars as it is by our silver screen actors. While the actors want to bulk up, actresses want to join the 'thin is in' brigade on TV.

TV actress Ragini Khanna of Sasural Genda Phool, had to make changes in her vital stats in order to meet the demand of her director. "It may sound funny but my director wanted me to flaunt a size zero in the serial, but with fuller cheeks." A slightly unreasonable demand, one would say.
But Ragini justifies it with – "Well, television is highly competitive today; if I wouldn't have done it, some other actress would have. My director wanted me to look sexy but at the same time, keeping in mind my character, he wanted me to have that chubby look!" she laughs.

Meeting similar demands, but of her fans, is actress Aarti Singh. But Aarti says she doesn't quite "understand this trend". She explains, "After losing 13 kgs, I'm still trying to lose more weight, because actresses around me are just so skinny that I can't afford to have even a single extra pound on my body! Moreover, I don't want to disappoint my fans. After meeting me, they comment that I look so thin in reality, but plump on the screen. It is difficult to explain to them that the extra pounds are due to camera angles," she says.

For actor Nandish Sandhu of Uttaran fame, "television today has gone to a completely different level, it's reach is even greater than Bollywood's". And that somehow explains why actors on the small screen need to look as fit as their big screen counterparts. "Also, fitness is extremely important for all of us who wish to survive in this industry.

If you don't eat well, which most of the actors today are doing, and work out for your fitness, you cannot survive in this industry; it's not only about looking good and feeling good, it's also about having the energy to work long hours."

Agrees actor Aamir Ali, whose six pack abs were discussed more than his dancing in the dance reality show Zara Nach Ke Dikha. "TV actors today are no less popular than Bollywood stars. Apart from staying fit, we need to keep in mind our huge fan following.

Having the perfect abs and bulging muscles is the need of the hour. And since this trend is successful and healthy, it is going to stay."

However, on the flip side, celebrity trainer Mickey Mehta feels that the male actors are more concerned about their vital stats. "The television industry is still largely dominated by women. And that's why the male actors are striving for the perfect physique, so that at least they will have something to make them stand out on the screen," he says and goes on to elaborate,

"The best example is actor Karan Singh Grover, who boasts of a near-perfect body on the small screen. And though he may not be such a great actor, he's still doing good. It is a raging trend, and it is now a matter of the survival of the fittest."

Jewel Gamadi, fitness director of television actors, adds, "Romance on television is comparable to Bollywood romance sequences these days. I have so many actors from the television industry approaching me to get that perfect looks so that they look just as hot as the Bollywood actors. They too want the perfect cleavage and arm muscles, and size zero figures."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LadyMcbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Hmmm ... acting and being in the limelight is their chosen profession and they get paid to look good ... so whatever ... But Ragini does look fit!
Edited by LadyMcbeth - 13 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Ragini has a perfect figure, if it is a size zero much better than kareena's size zero

off topic, now KSG is not the only one who has near perfect body on TV he has a tough competition now frm Gurmeet 😛
Armu4eva thumbnail

Ragz so totally rocks...the way she looks... luv her.... n i luv the fact that she is so honest wit her answers.....❤️

thanks for this......
AreYaar thumbnail
LMAO@ the comment about KSG's acting🤣

Ragini is deffo not a size zero....but yeah she did lose oodles of weight after RKB....she looked dramatically different in BB....she had to to portray a sexy avatar.....Ragini in RKB was a simpler girl who was attempting to become a model....Bharti was supposed to be sexy....even if she was a man trapped in a woman's body....lol.....and Ragini has since maintained that figure for Suhana....I think she's just right figure-wise....not too skinny and not too chubby....it's a healthy figure.
111192 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: nureat01

LMAO@ the comment about KSG's acting🤣

Ragini is deffo not a size zero....but yeah she did lose oodles of weight after RKB....she looked dramatically different in BB....she had to to portray a sexy avatar.....Ragini in RKB was a simpler girl who was attempting to become a model....Bharti was supposed to be sexy....even if she was a man trapped in a woman's body....lol.....and Ragini has since maintained that figure for Suhana....I think she's just right figure-wise....not too skinny and not too chubby....it's a healthy figure.

areeeeeeee.......in bhaskar bharti ragini played role of man trapped in woman's body .............in SGP she plays child trapped in woman's body.......................are ragini dear when will you play role of woman without any one's trapping😆😆😆😆.

areeeeeeee.......in bhaskar bharti ragini played role of man trapped in woman's body .............in SGP she plays child trapped in woman's body.......................are ragini dear when will you play role of woman without any one's trapping😆.

LMAO.....U have great sense of humour.....

111192 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: shounak-rijul1

LMAO.....U have great sense of humour.....

Thanks shounak😊
myvoice thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Ragini has certainly pulled off a chubby face with a fit body for suhaana very well.