Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Creative Writing (Voting Completed)

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 18 July 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged
Now that the creative writing contest is completed, its time to vote for your favorite stories. All eleven entries to the contest are posted in this topic right here: http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1426574 .

Our contestants have put time and effort to write these stories, so please take the time to read all of them and then vote. The voting will be open for a week, so there will be plenty of time to vote. Once you have done picking your favorites list your top three picks in this topic. Please give reasons for your ranking. Feel free to leave additional feedback on all entries too. DO NOT vote for any disqualified or unofficial entries. Last date to vote is July 24th.

Summer has volunteered to count and compile the votes. Thank You Summer. Clap Each first place nomination is three points, second place nomination is two points and third place nomination is one point. The story with most points will be juntas winner.

In the meantime, I will review all entries myself and have feedback. I will pick the judges pick winner, should it be different from junta's pick.

Organizers Note:

I have tried to have the issue regarding Entry#3 resolved; but unfortunately it keeps getting brought up again. I see a lot of newer people who I don't see on DM often, also voting here and it has caused some issues again. I'm not sure if my message here is the right thing to do. However, it is an honest open appeal to keep the spirit of this contest intact. I hope everyone can read it with an open heart and mind and hopefully resolve this issue for once and for all.

I understand that some people are very upset that an entry was disqualified, and it is indeed unfortunate that things turned out that way. Let me layout the brief history for those who are new.

The author of entry#3 submitted an entry, which took me aback. It was hurtful and upsetting to me because my online name and photo story was associated with a story, which content I found over the top. I'm sorry that my opinions cannot appreciate offbeat humor, but I can't change the way I think. However, to be fair to her as an organizer; despite my personal feelings I did publish the story as an official entry.

Unfortunately, I was not the only one who was upset by it. There were several reports/posts and PMs objecting to the content of the story. Some members objected to their names being used as rape victims in the story. Which I feel is a valid objection, I don't think it is fair to expect people not to care how their name is used. The second objection was that it trivialized and portrayed rape beyond acceptable levels of decency. Perhaps people with an offbeat, different sense of humor can appreciate the story. But not everyone can think that way. Different people have different lines. As a moderator I have to step in and take action when significant number of people feel there is a COC violation. Sometimes I have to take action even against what I support, sometimes I have to stand by what I maybe against. I respect the sentiments of people who are upset that entry #3 was disqualified, and that you wish to stand by your friend. However, at the same time I hope that you can respect the fact that as a moderator and organizer ' there are other considerations I have to keep in mind and take action and try to take that in stride. I respect that the author and other supporters maybe upset, but at the same time other people were also hurt and offended. We all cannot share the same level of open mindedness and humor, and the least we can do is come to some compromise about it.

That being said the author was requested to edit the story and resubmit. That is remove names of people who do not wish to be referenced and remove the casual usage of rape. It was the fairest compromise I could come up with given light that it had hurt people. The author chose disqualification over editing the story. It was a conscious decision on part of the author knowing that disqualified entries are ineligible from contest. The author even asked if they could submit a new entry and I allowed the author to resubmit an edited story or a new story before deadline. The author itself was never disqualified from contest. As a side note I will add apart from the story the author chose to disregard anonymity by making it obvious who wrote the story, as well as letting many people know they were.

Whether you are voting to support a friend or make a statement. Even if you feel that the disqualification of entry #3 was wrong and unfair. I honesty ask everyone to reconsider their decisions. All contestants put in a good amount of effort and creativity to come up with their stories. Please try to read through all the qualified entries and appreciate the efforts others put in too. In spirit of the contest and due consideration to everyone who participated and tried to maintain anonymity try to be fair and reasonable and vote for a qualified entry.

If you still feel that this is unacceptable and need to make a statement for entry #3, I cannot stop you from doing so. However, I hope you will understand that disqualified entries are ineligible and respect the fact that those votes will not be counted.

I'm sorry if what said or done here is unpalatable to people. It is just a statement as an organizer. I earnestly hope that we can all end this chapter here and enjoy the remainder of the contest, and let others enjoy it too.

Edited by return_to_hades - 25 July 2010 at 1:44am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

casper2souroAngelic_J

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 July 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 18 July 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged

Great thanks to all the participants and of course the voters too.

Yes I shall be counting all the votes and hope we do not get any trolls voting.
Last day July 24 which is a Saturday.

casper2 Goldie
casper2
casper2

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged
while commenting on the entries can we comment on our guesses regarding  the authors ..and are the contestants also allowed to vote /
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by crazy_sunny

while commenting on the entries can we comment on our guesses regarding  the authors ..and are the contestants also allowed to vote /

Yes contestants can vote too, in fact they should vote.  

A lot of guessing has been done so I guess it can continue. However, writers should not reveal themselves till results are announce. Smile

baz786 IF-Sizzlerz
baz786
baz786

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 4:51am | IP Logged
Entry 3 it was hilliarious

Edited by baz786 - 21 July 2010 at 4:19am
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged

I must say that most of the submissions are very well written and I am not up to the task of judjing them.  All the entries are great.ClapClap
( with the exception of my personal entry).
It is pretty obvious that the contestants had taken great pains in writing them and are very well thought out.

Here goes my vote:

1. ---No. 5
( loved the wit and comedy too but most importantly it held my interest in reading it)

2. ---- No. 8
(Great effort and she left no stones unturned in fully interpreting all the symbols)

3.  ---Nos. 10/11
 (Nice lovely writing styles)

I must add the unofficial entries are great too.Clap

Edited by Summer3 - 20 July 2010 at 9:38pm
Mister.K. IF-Dazzler

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top