Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

coma : choose death, or life

usachick821 Goldie
usachick821
usachick821

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged

say if someone you loved (mother, father. brother, sister, spouse, children ect) falls into a coma for a large period of time, would you chose to cut off their life support, or keep them living?

lets think about this, keeping someone alive while they are in a coma can put a heavy dent in your wallet, in some cases even bankruptcy, some people think that why bother when there is no hope of that person becoming well ever again.

on the other hand, who are we to decide when a person is ready to die, we can only do as much as we can, and for all religious people, god will take that person into his/her arms when they want to. Even if there is no chance, you dont really know if that person wants to die or not.

just some points to debate about, enjoy!

paagalhoonmain IF-Rockerz
paagalhoonmain
paagalhoonmain

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 11:42am | IP Logged
i wud say life.i wud say strongestpoint against me,then will prove myself.
so for death,u wud say money,in some cases it may be very difficult to cope with ,andif u were in coma,u wud not like ur close ppl to feel pain bcoz of u.but the question is who u to say anything.u wud not b able to do anything,and even if .1% hope is there,or even less,money is no match for life.and money can go anytime,even if u choose death.hope i made myself very clear.
Aparna_BD IF-Dazzler
Aparna_BD
Aparna_BD

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Thats a very tough call . Like it happened in Terri Schiavo case , where she was in coma for some 10-20 years ( can't remember exactly how long). Its a terrifying choice to make !!

Also if one says who are we to decide when to cut of life support..........but then aren't you working against god and putting the person on life supports . Shouldn't you leave the person in his natural state to fight death or succumb to it without life support .

Honestly , its such a tough call , and unless you've been there you will never know what to do . God forbid any of us ever in our lives have to make that choice !!
Eijoo''s_Angel IF-Dazzler
Eijoo''s_Angel
Eijoo''s_Angel

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by indygirl

Thats a very tough call . Like it happened in Terri Schiavo case , where she was in coma for some 10-20 years ( can't remember exactly how long). Its a terrifying choice to make !!

Also if one says who are we to decide when to cut of life support..........but then aren't you working against god and putting the person on life supports . Shouldn't you leave the person in his natural state to fight death or succumb to it without life support .

Honestly , its such a tough call , and unless you've been there you will never know what to do . God forbid any of us ever in our lives have to make that choice !!

I AGREE

Rindam Senior Member
Rindam
Rindam

Posted: 05 December 2005 at 9:42am | IP Logged
I had this earlier post reagarding Euthanasia and looked up an older one on mercy killing. Some interesting thoughts there if you are interested. This is a slightly different topic if you look at the nuances but yet-

I somehow would maybe not let go of someone. I lean more towards this idea maybe only because it's easier. Easier to live with this decision and the fact that you always hope.
I dont think with the kind of person I am, would be able to tackle the guilt if I made the big decision to let someone go. Maybe this makes me selfish but so be it-
hazelgirl IF-Rockerz
hazelgirl
hazelgirl

Posted: 06 December 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged
quite rite Tongue Tongue Tongue
Signora2 Goldie
Signora2
Signora2

Posted: 08 December 2005 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
INDY GIRL WROTE:

I agree with u, it is very tough indeed.

kitty468 IF-Dazzler
kitty468
kitty468

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
i get this dream at times, an imaginary person is in coma, is my best friend. i would like to keep the person on life support as long as possible but after a year i dont think its worth it. if my family member is in coma, i dont know. maybe talk to doc whether she/he will survive for long after regaining conciousness. god forbid this every happens to anyone.
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top