Metti Oli
Metti Oli

Metti Oli Character guide (Page 4)

Nagi Senior Member
Nagi
Nagi

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 11:06am | IP Logged

BTW,

Awesome portrayels from you all. You are giving me a complex. Can I even come close to this?? Let me seeWink.

Selvam BTW, has shown slipper to Ramesh(which caused him to get beaten up). Did he just show it or beat him?? I think he did. Not sure.

Nagi Senior Member
Nagi
Nagi

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 11:42am | IP Logged

CHIDAMBARAM

"Maappillai Mahadeva Swaroopam" 

Clap--Hai I have also started with a quoteBig smile.

My dad used to say this and I know many oldies say it too.

Anyway that is the "tharaka Mandiram" for Chidambaram. He is a broker who helps people buy and sell land (Real Estate).
He is very well respected by all who know him as a man true to his words---"Vaakku kuduthaa pechu maara maattaar". So he is trusted by all who come to him for their land dealings.
He is a widower with five daughters. He has managed to bring them up without a lady in the house and has showered on them so much love and affection that they never miss their mother.
He has instilled in them all the virtues and values of life. Has a brother-in-law(bose) who is like a son to him and so gives his elder daughter Dhanam to him, in marriage, and keeps them with him always,at his house.
   He is very patient and does not get easily provoked,unless it is about his daughters. He did get angry when someone from Mds comes home and tells him about Manickam getting arrested etc.,when they went to "see" Nirmala.They speak ill of Nirmala and he defends her as though she were his own daughter.That is how attached he is, to his sambandhis also.

Saro, the daughter he adores, is married into a family with a tyrant as her mother-in-law. The lady has suffered a lot in her heydays to bring up her children, without a husband.(She has worked as  a housemaid in several houses and has brought home the food they gave her,to the children while she herself went hungry). All that hardship has hardened her heart too (Irugipochu manasu) and so she is over protective about her children. She is also insecure now, and feels that if Manickam, the elder son, starts getting a bit close to his wife, they both might plot to get rid of her from the house. This fear makes her to always fill Manickam's ear with "poison" about Saro and is happy when she sees them fight or when he "gives it to her" !!
 The daughter (Nirmala) who she thought was getting married to a rich guy, has been cheated in life by a good for nothing fellow.He lives in their house and takes money from them instead of taking his wife and leaving the house.This Yemaatham is another blow to her hardened heart and she takes out this frustration ( Of seeing a vaazhaavetti daughter) also on Saro.Selvam, the other son, is the only solace to Saro.
But when Chidambaram's daughter Leela likes Selvam and viceversa, he is against the marriage, as he does not want her also to suffer at the hands of Rajam ( The tyrant MIL).
   Seeing his favourite daughter suffering at the hands of her mother-in-law, is very difficult for Chidambaram. But he thinks that by repeatedly going to their house and talking "goody goody" to the tyrant lady would soften her heart. Unknowingly, he has only earned her elakkaaram, as she calls him "That Tharagar payal" etc.
  Chidambaram has been a saddened man for a while now, as his two daughters are suffering in their "pugundha veedu". He keeps advising them about the virtue of silence (porumayaa iru--he tells Saro) or he tries to help them out with their monetary problems,despite him having to borrow it from outside.
  He has pinned all his hopes on the last daughter Bhavani whom he is sending to College. He saw to it that she did not miss her exams even when she was sick. He stood outside the exam hall and gave her medicines to be passed on inside,by a teacher. That is how dedicated he is to anything he takes on.

Despite being repeatedly insulted by his Sambandhi and Son-in-law(Ravi), he insists on going and calling them personally for all the functions. He says that  he is prepared to" Kayyila kaalla Vizhundhaavadhu", get them to attend the functions.

He seems to be from the old school and is strictly following the saying that has been quoted in the beginning. But is it the right thing to do, in this age and in this time???

Kaalamdhaan badhil sollanum

Edited by Nagi - 23 September 2004 at 10:11am
Nagi Senior Member
Nagi
Nagi

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 11:44am | IP Logged

Hey guys,

I may have digressed inbetween about the others, so feel free to edit and attach those parts in the relevant character studies !!! If it is ok to leave it , leave it. That was Chidambaram. Not as good as you guys. Bear with me.Big smile

Siva Senior Member
Siva
Siva

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 11:46am | IP Logged

Nagi....very good intro.

You confined yourself to Saro...(and a bit for Bhavani); Other sisters will get mad at you soon!

Nagi Senior Member
Nagi
Nagi

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
Other sisters getting mad oru pakkam irukkattum--others on the forum kochikkaporaaBig smile--I have written about their 'character'(of the serial) also.LOL
Siva Senior Member
Siva
Siva

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 5:56pm | IP Logged

About Selvam...I think just being to nice to all will not make you success, Actually I think, we need to understand that not everyone will be happy at the same time..Reading from Nagi's comment from episode 622,

I feel so bad for poor Leela." Epdi irundha naan ipdi aayitten" apdinnu Vivek styleley sollalaam ava.Confused. She was the lively one and she got such a raw deal out of lifeAngry.She got this for not speaking her mind and forcefully marrying Wealth.He also did not take the bold step expected of a 'man'. Atleast when the alliance topic came up the second time ( after balu ditched leels), he should have put his foot down. He even had M on his side at that time. KOzhayaa irundhaa idhaan mudivu. Ippo ennadaannaa " Kai pai" azhagiyoda sirichi pesindu puliyodharai saaptundrukkaanAngry.

We can see that he should have been aggerssive, strong and should have married Leela...(but, we would have lost Metti Oli serial Smile)

rojapoo Groupbie
rojapoo
rojapoo

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
we may not have Siva, the story would have taken a different turn - S and L in the same house and we can be sure that wealth would support L when she is right. that way there would have been atleast one happy marriage with the right balance. both Bhavani and leela would have been examples
MettiOli Groupbie
MettiOli
MettiOli

Posted: 22 September 2004 at 6:51pm | IP Logged

I hear a bird singing in my backyard everyday. It was pleasant the first few days, as it ushered in spring. Then I got used to it. The bird sings every day, but I fail to notice and appreciate it on a daily basis. Not that it is not melodious anymore - I just take it for granted. And when we traveled upstate, I was woken up by the trucks on the freeway, and I missed my bird. My very own bird. Right there, always, all the time, but ignored because it became commonplace.

Ever stopped to appreciate the things that we take for granted? Like mother's cooking? Like Dad who would open the gates for your vehicle when you returned? Your grandpa who would save a bit of his candies for you? Like siblings who savored every little accomplishment of yours?

Bose figures right there. Always there, and not appreciated.

He appears to be short tempered. And incapable of earning money. Above all, cursed with a predisposition to raise his hand without a thought for his safe, nary a consideration of the consequences.

Wait, did we say without a consideration of the consequences? In the last big fight where Rajam inexcusably ranted off, we didn't see him in his rowdy ways. Even when his beloved Mama was insulted, not even when his treasured nieces were affronted. How about the time when the folks at the garment factory teased him for being a parasite? Or when Lax & Kumar heaped insults? Or when their wives joined too?

Bose stands out as a decent person with deep love for his relatives and their relatives. Like the time when he went to bat for Manickam at the hospital. Even the quarrelsome Rajam was defended by him when Ramesh beat her up. He was ready to lay his life more than once for Viji – when he falsely admitted to stabbing Elango, and when he went after Elango publicly.

And about the incapacity to earn money. His wife, his uncle, and even his nieces have chided him for that. But didn't he give up his Malaysia job for his pregnant wife? And above all, has he ever stooped to stick it in their faces?

Like most heroes in life, he finishes last, since his inadequacies and fallacies are evident to all, while his strengths and character are latent. A good brother, an ideal husband, an excellent son-in-law and a true friend, he suffers from being mediocre.

Like the bird in the backyard. Take a minute to listen and appreciate tomorrow. Like Mom and Dad. Take a minute to convey that you love them. Commit to yourself not to take good things for granted. And more importantly, to appreciate them.

Bose teaches us that.

Go to top