Posted: 20 September 2004 at 9:44pm | IP Logged
Who are you portraying? I thought 'C'

MettiOli Groupbie
MettiOli
MettiOli

Posted: 20 September 2004 at 10:11pm | IP Logged

I started C and ended up with a bad constuct like this:

Originally posted by MettiOli

Chidambaram: The story revolves around the lives and pains of his five daughters and eventually his. A land broker by professsion, he makes amazing money (2.5 lakhs on a single deal) but is perinially poor...that was bad, will ask Nagi to write this portion.

so I said Nagi should do his role.

Siva Senior Member
Siva
Siva

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 9:59am | IP Logged

Minnal...here is the list of who is working on which character.

Rekha : Viji

Kokarakko : Selvam

Nagi : Chidambaram  (no confirmation from Nagi)

No takers for yet: Bose, Ravi   

If I do not see reply till this afternoon, I will do Saro or one of the other two.

Edited by Siva - 21 September 2004 at 2:45pm
Rekha8 Senior Member
Rekha8
Rekha8

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 10:08am | IP Logged
I will submit mine before tonite.

Nagi, did confirm that she will do 'C' and asked us to give her a day or so.
Siva Senior Member
Siva
Siva

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 11:21am | IP Logged

Saro....

Very few sleep nicely during a train or flight journey. I belong to the group who do not get good sleep during travel. Books give very good company during such occasions. I have read Kalki's "Alai Osai", an epic and immortal novel; The characters in that story are not just characters of that story, but they live with people who read that story.

It may sound like an exaggerated idea and I am drawing the parallel. Saro, Leela, Dhanam , Viji, Chidambaram and few other characters in Metti Oli live with people who know them.  It is very difficult to think that they are imaginary. It looks like they born like us, enjoy good youth and live with pain and suffering like us. Sometimes, I think the characters move the story and they write the sequences.  She is the pet for her father Chidambaram. Born with four sisters, she is number two in the family order. What a wonderful life she had in Azhagarkulam with her sisters and father. She did not miss her mother at all because of her father's love and she ensured that her sisters do not miss their mother, by being so passionate to them. Very pretty, very lively, very accommodative, kind at heart are the terms to describe Saro, before marriage.

Poor Saro. Only nave, submissive,  easy target for victimization and bears with domestic violence become synonymous to Saro after her wedding to Manikkam. Saro symbolizes majority of middle income class woman in Indian society. Chidambaram's top most worry in this world is Saro and her life. Torturing Mother in law, violent husband, who uses the violence to end any conversation where he loses (all most all)and lonely sister in law (Nirmala), who gets jealous very easily when ever she sees Saro happy defines her world. However, there is some solace from her brother in law (Selvam) and a patti who lives mostly with them and Natarajan (son) who is her hope for future.

Why there is both pain and pleasure in this world? Why some of us always live in pain and do not get a chance to taste pleasure till the end? Why God is so partial that he offers only pain to few?...these questions are certain to visit everyone's mind. Saro and Leela's life reflect these questions again. Sometimes, when there is more than one kid at a home, and when one is healthy and other is sick, the sick gets untasty patient diet and healthy one gets tasty regular food. The sick person, already being sick has also had to live with untasty diet and bitter medicine on the top of it. Like that, Chidambaram's advice to Saro and Leela are are always "be patient, be patient" and nothing else….may be he says so, because he thinks patience will give them at least some peace of mind in their life? Saro misses her mother now than at any other time.

I do not think that I wrote the above, but I feel when I thought of Saro, Saro and Leela came and told me to write the above.

Edited by Siva - 23 September 2004 at 2:06pm
Siva Senior Member
Siva
Siva

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 1:08pm | IP Logged

I have same feeling...these characters seem so real to us and I too dream about talking to them...

Sorry for making it little serious on my notes...I know I stole the humour in this thread. But, this story is not a humorous one...I am unable to make them funny...

Thanks for the appreaciation though. Above posting was an inspiration from Kalki and his Alai Osai, I feel very sad for Seetha character and if given a chance I would go to heaven and fix Seetha's problem...but in imaginary world, we can only be a spectator

As a matter of fact, Saro is better than Seetha. (I know there will be at least one reader now!)

MettiOli Groupbie
MettiOli
MettiOli

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 6:40pm | IP Logged

Has Selvam raised his hand against anyone? I have seen Gopi slap Viji, fight with Elango, Ramesh (when Rajam was beaten) and at the Devipattinam rowdies. When Ramesh talked about him being impotent at J's marriage, he silently cried and left it to the four asses to fight.

Has he even physically fought with anyone?

MettiOli Groupbie
MettiOli
MettiOli

Posted: 21 September 2004 at 9:11pm | IP Logged

"Gopi is the ideal husband any woman would want to have", said Minnal, probably reflecting the sentiments of the majority. Minnal's perseverance and due diligence in her daily updates lend credibility and clout to the conclusion on picking Gopi.

Alas, like several others she has overlooked the obvious one.

(to be continued)

Go to top