Debate Mansion

Do you believe in "paranormal things"? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 9

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 9
Page 5 Page 9

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Originally posted by angie.4u

I havent seen a ghost so I dont believe in one but I dont want to see one either ! Does that make me a believer or a non believer ?

Do you not want or are you simply indifferent to it? If it is the latter, then I'm with you. Not wanting to see one, in my opinion, implies that one has a belief - even if in a very small amount - in it.
You got it there ! Big smile 
The fact that I wish i wouldnt see one implies that I do have a small doubt that i might see one ..
I normally am quite indifferent to any ghosts etc but if the power suddenly goes off and the inverters dont happen to work and I m alone at home just after having watched or read a horror story then I do get an eerie feeling ..Ouch

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Do you believe in "paranormal things"? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by cuckoocutter

Originally posted by Mister.K.

I havent seen a ghost so I dont believe in one but I dont want to see one either ! Does that make me a believer or a non believer ?

No ghosts implies no angels as well. You have to remember that.

You can't just have attraction (positive charge) and not have repulsion (negative charge).

lol why cant we have a world where there aint any anti-thing? like money. everyone can have it, if you just print more of it. lol
Without the anti-thing in place how will you annihilate any-thing ? lol

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

<snip>
the power suddenly goes off and the inverters dont happen to work and I m alone at home just after having watched or read a horror story then I do get an eerie feeling ..Ouch

I know. LOL I have them too, but is it because I am afraid of ghosts or is it because I am afraid of darkness? LOL Why are people afraid of darkness anyway? Is it because it is mysterious, or is there any other reasoning behind it?
Well I think it depends on ones frame of mind at that time .I can work perfectly fine with my wits around me even in darkness unless... I ve read some silly horror book as I said b4 .So When I m likely to be alone after dark I do not watch or read any horror story - simple ! LOL

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
Actually, I don't think that things like sleep paralysis, deja vu, hallucinations etc are paranormal or supernatural. They have very valid scientific explanations and theories for these states of mind.

During sleep paralysis, a person will feel awake but without the ability to move or speak. Other symptoms also include feeling suffocated, hearing noises, and seeing things around them. And that leads people to believe in experiencing a supernatural phenomena, when in reality, it is merely a mistransmission of brain signals. When we sleep, the brain sends signals that inhibit any muscle contraction. If we come back into consciousness before our body has received the signal to activate muscle contractions, we experience that state of 'paralysis'.

During the night, our body alternates between non-REM and REM cycles. 80 minutes of NREM slepe and 10 minutes of REM sleep make up one 90-minute sleep cycle. We go through this cycle repeatedly all night. During our non-REM cycle, they body has the ability to move, allowing us to toss and turn in our sleep. This is also the part of the cycle where sleepwalking and talking in one's sleep occurs. The REM (rapid-eye-movement) part of the cycle is where dream, and we can watch a dream occur in our sleep. But in this part of the cycle, the brain sends signals inhibiting any muscle contractions, and preventing us from mobility perhaps so we don't actually act out the dream. If something goes wrong and those neurotransmitters that inhibit muscle contractions are continuously released by the brain even when the person is awake, the person experiences sleep paralysis.

During sleep paralysis, auditory and visual hallucinations can also occur. I am not very informative on this particular cause, but I think it has something to do with the fact that there is way too much activity occurring in the temporal and occipital (auditory and visual) lobes of the brain that causes us to see/hear things when we are awake, when in fact, that activity should be reserved for dreams.

I haven't really studied the exact mechanics of deja vu, but I do know that there are a lot of reliable scientific theories out there explaining the phenomena. Hallucinations and delusions occur when the mind is unable to distinguish between the conscious and the subconscious. We usually make consciousness the 'awake' state, and the subconscious the sleeping mind. Reality then becomes more commonly associated with the conscious mind. However, in a mind that is undergoing hallucinations, the transition between the conscious and subconscious do not occur smoothly, and the thoughts of subconscious continue even in a state of consciousness, leading to people believing that this is in fact reality.

I just made a light-hearted topic into a scientific one, sorry! For kicks, I'm sure you guys have all heard stories of spirits taking over bodies ... people acting weird and unnatural, completely unlike themselves, and then coming out of these episodes without any memory of what has occurred. My dad also tells us a story of a girl that lived in his neighborhood when he was young who would be taken over by a spirit, she would get angry, and behave completely unlike herself. In fact, her voice would change into a man's, somehow indicating a male spirit that had entered her body. As a child, I would get scared of these stories, but now I just roll my eyes. I'm sure my dad is not lying about this episode, but there are scientific explanations to explain these things. In fact, did you know, that is Dissociative Identity Disorder, where people display multiple identities without being conscious aware of these identities, sometimes also experience a change in their voices, which clearly explains this phenomena of spirits taking over.

I certainly did not intend to write this much. Apologies to those who bothered reading it. ;-)

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mind-googlingreturn_to_hades

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
^ There goes the CAT out of the bag again. LOL Isska bhi galat matlab nikal doo?

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

^ There goes the CAT out of the bag again. LOL Isska bhi galat matlab nikal doo?

NOO!! Keep your dirty mind to yourself. How many times do I have to tell you that? Tongue MCAT fever still hasn't left yet, as you can see. LOL

Y'all better take as much advantage of this now as you can. Haha.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top