Page   of 5
Page 3 Page 5

koolkat97

koolkat97

Posted: 04 July 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged
kk thanx! :) cant wait

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

whimsical

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Quest | Final post - pg4 (Page 2)" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

whimsical

whimsical

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged

Neha, tum nahin hoti toh mera kya hota! Thanks for your regular comments!

koolkat97

whimsical

whimsical

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 12:30am | IP Logged

Part II

"The plan sucks," Vicky informed Gaurang.

Gaurang, unsurprised, did not respond and tightened the harness on his waist.

Vicky grumpily did the same.

He had imagined something more glamorous and James Bond-like, something like sneaking into Sanju's daughter's bedroom, getting her to fall madly in love with him so that she would willingly help them out of the mansion and give them further incriminating evidence. But boring Gauri had solemnly pronounced that it was the stupidest plan he had ever heard.

The two detectives spared each other a perfunctory nod and slid down the wall and landed in the garden.

Almost immediately a bark was heard in the distance. Two dogs were running towards them, madness in their eyes. Guards were yelling in each other's walkie talkies, delighted at the prospect of a new prey in their midst. Dogs in other parts of the compound, excited by the promise in the air, raced to the scene, salivating.

Their hearts thumping, Gaurang and Vicky made for the outhouse. They managed to shut the door just before the two dogs reached them.

"Where's the tunnel?" Gaurang said, moving the barrel that was supposed to have been concealing it. They had made the tunnel last week as part of a backup plan in case escaping by scaling the wall was made impossible by unforeseen circumstances.

"Damn, they covered it," Vicky gasped.

Gaurang, undeterred, began to shovel out the boulders. They could not have filled up the whole tunnel. They had surely assumed that the tunnel was a way of getting into the mansion, not a way of getting out of it. Criminals, no matter how cautious, can almost always be relied upon to make at least some arrogant assumptions as to their so-called invincibility.

The outhouse was now surrounded by what sounded like a dozen bloodthirsty hounds. A henchman was trying to force the door open. The bolts were quivering. Soon they would give way. The heavy lead box Vicky had dragged in front of the door was slipping away treacherously. Vicky pointed the gun they had stolen from Sanju's brother earlier that day at the door, his hand trembling.

"Come," Gaurang said as he pulled down his mask and lowered himself into the tunnel. Vicky pulled down his mask too and threw a small self-made smoke bomb at the outhouse door, before following Gaurang into the tunnel. The bomb would cause a sufficient diversion while he and Gaurang would be crawling along the horizontal part of the tunnel. It was while they were in that part of the tunnel that they would be most vulnerable. Once they had climbed down into the gutter, it would be more difficult to find them. Still, Gaurang was not one to take any chances, so before climbing down the ladder, he and Vicky blocked the tunnel with a heavy metal lid that would delay their antagonists further.

Three hours later, in his flat, after a few showers, Gaurang took Sanju's diary from Vicky's waterproof pouch and smiled slightly.

"You know," Vicky said, "for all the trouble we went through, that policeman had better pay us more than -"

"This is not about the money," Gaurang said irritably, as he paged through the diary. This was about peace. But Vicky would not understand. He allowed Vicky's monologue to trail on. The man liked the sound of his own voice. Why deprive him of the pleasure? Meanwhile Gaurang struggled to switch off his mind. It had begun to reminisce again. He craved amnesia; he craved the power to be able to forgive. But the object of his quest remained as elusive as ever.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

koolkat97Sharky8

koolkat97

koolkat97

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged
dat was really nice do continue soon! :)

whimsical

whimsical

whimsical

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged
Thanks Neha! It's Friday ie update day :)

whimsical

whimsical

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged

Part III

They were at a crowded dhaaba, where people were too busy eating to pry. Vicky surreptitiously scrutinized her features to ascertain what it was that made her so beautiful. He could not stare, seeing that he had to be chilled out and slightly aloof in order to earn her affections. Yes, it was her eyes. They had an undeniable classic Indian-ness about them. They were large and round, heavily lidded, charcoal black and framed by perfect eyebrows that were neither too thin nor too thick.

"Please, Ms Sahai," Gaurang said, breaking the silence, "this is important."

Vicky glided out of his reflections lazily, and tried to remember what Gaurang was on about.

Juhi Sahai shook her head. Vicky, alarmed by the thought that tears could begin to glisten in her eyes at any time, reached for her hand.

"Look, Juhi'" he began softly, but she pulled her hand back and looked at him angrily.

"You cannot force me," she said, her voice strong and obstinate, "I really don't see why I should help you."

"Vicky," Gaurang said quietly, "we're leaving."

Vicky stared at Gaurang incredulously. But Gaurang had already risen from his chair and was reaching for his wallet. Juhi looked away, her eyes laced with triumph but also sadness. Vicky looked at his unfinished butter chicken, at the dhaabewaala from whom he had wanted to order more lassi, and at the beautiful girl in front of him. This was so unfair.

Vicky jogged to keep up with Gaurang who was striding towards the car.

"Gauri," he panted, "Gaurang! Dude, stop. What are you doing? We can't just leave."

Gaurang stopped and looked at Vicky sharply, his eyes resolute and unwavering,

"Vicky, we will not beg. She will never understand why it's important for us to put an end to this nonsense. All she cares about is money. We don't need her."

"But she's right," Vicky said, rushing to the defence of his damsel in distress, "why are we doing this? We are always providing leads to the police and we are not paid enough. And they take all the glory, those lazy bums."

Gaurang grabbed Vicky's collar angrily, and then let go, disgusted,

"Money, glory?" he spat, "It doesn't mean anything to you that our efforts may help get that ... that dog arrested? All those young girls, you don't think they deserve a different life?"

"I'm sorry," Juhi said, tearful. She had been standing there, unseen, listening.

Gaurang turned away angrily and continued to walk towards the car.

"I'm sorry," she implored, "I - I - I didn't want to get into any mess. But now I -"

Gaurang looked at her dispassionately, "He wouldn't have known. All we wanted was for you to call him to the office with some business deal story so that we can break into the flat. He trusts you. He will never suspect that you are involved in all this. But we don't have fifty thousand rupees to pay you for making a call. So it's fine, we will manage without your help. And if you want to tell your boss about us, feel free. But then also inform him that he will be caught, no matter what, and I will make sure of that."

"But I want to help. I trust you, Gaurang, and I know you won't let anything happen to me. I am on your side, Gaurang. Please, please forgive me. I will do anything to help you."

Vicky looked away from the fondness in Juhi's eyes. He was the invisible sidekick. Nobody saw him. It was always Gaurang that they all had eyes for. All the girls fell for the angry young man. He was just the invisible sidekick.

Gaurang nodded curtly and made for the car.

Edited by nisha.munim - 16 July 2010 at 7:13am

Sharky8

koolkat97

koolkat97

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged
i really luved it do continue soon! and i luv the way u describe everything so perfectly! :)

whimsical

whimsical

whimsical

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged
Thanks Neha, that's very sweet of you! :)

koolkat97

Post Reply New Post

Go to top