Mystic Musings: In the Beginning

sourpuss thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

A very good day to one and all! Radz (Aradhna) and myself (Bhav) warmly welcome you to the first edition of the Mystic Musings, our (partly insane) episode analyses!

It's a little long, mainly 'cause the two of us had way too much fun writing this, but do bear with us and we guarantee you'll have fun! 😉

The colour scheme goes like so:

Orange will represent Bhav's thoughts, while purple, Radz's. We certainly hope you don't get confused, and if you do, we offer our sincerest apologies!

Without any further ado, Radz and Bhav proudly present...

In the Beginning

Episode 1: Pilot

The First Five Minutes

So Bhav's first five minutes are more the first two minutes before the opening credits. And it must be noted that she is viewing this the second ' no, wait, the third time around. And she's finished the entire season, so she knows what happens. And why in the world is she referring to herself in the third person? *blinks* Moving on!

I quite enjoyed the eeriness of the first two minutes, what with all the darkness and the fog and the sudden appearance of a supermegafoxyawesome'being'that we never get to see (except for the ring! AHA! A clue!) but if you've read the books you kinda already know that it's Damon, and that gets you totally revved up to see Damon's appearance'

With regards to it setting the scene for the rest of the show, considering it's the pilot episode, IBO (In Bhav's Opinion) it sets the show up to be something really'dark'Okay, yeah, that's pretty obvious, but you know what, I don't care. *sticks tongue out**then remembers that she should probably be nicer to the readers, so offers up a conciliatory plate of cookies instead and slinks away to watch the rest of the episode*

The eeriness of the opening has got to be one of my most favourite things about this show ' most shows don't delve straight into the scary and freaky, they try to establish some fun and normal atmosphere, but not this. Straight away, we have that amazingly sexy voice say he's a vampire, an eerie fog, a couple being killed by a mysterious figure ' it establishes that this show is not for the faint of heart. It's a very good thing I don't get freaked out so easily. If I had been anyone else, watching this show alone would give me nightmares.

And then the juxtaposition of the thoughts of the mysterious vampire on the roof and the thoughts Elena pens down into her diary ' it sets a more tame theme to the story. I loved how the dark and scary beginning contrasts against how normal Elena's routine is. And then the freaky comes back with the crow, and the accident, and Bonnie's conversation with Elena. The first five minutes really sets up to how her life is going to be completely changed, once again.

Dissection:

The crow.

Holy cow I LOVE the whole thing with the crows! Especially if you've read the books and know that Damon can morph into a crow. And it just totally lends this creepy vibe to the show, already giving it a sense of foreboding and stuff'

Special effects.

The vampire makeup here just blows my mind. It's pretty understated, for vampire makeup, but it's the understated-ness that makes it totally amazing.

Vampires Have Descendants!

Okay so this is one thing I positively do *not* understand. Vampires are, by right, supposed to be completely dead and not have any bodily fluids left in them. So how in the world can Stefan and Damon have a nephew? And how in the world can Elena resemble Katherine so completely?

Bonnie's a Witch!

One thing I really enjoyed about the show is that while the vampire storyline is dark and scary, the reactions from the girls to Bonnie's heritage is lighthearted. The way they make fun of her being psychic is realistic, because in this age and time, not many people believe in such things. Of course, when she does actually have her visions, they freak not just everyone else but her as well. I think that was handled really well.

The Who?

The friendships and relationships in the shows are established very nicely in the first episode as well, and within the first ten minutes. We have:

the flighty aunt, relegated to being a guardian when she can barely take care of herself (come on, Elena was taking care of Jenna more than Jenna of Elena. I think it's cute ' it adds an element of fun, and easiness to their relationship);

the sad, lonely girl who just lost her parents and is trying to find her way;

the angsty younger brother, who is angry at the world (so many potentials for this one, so many! Here alone I could see this going in so many directions, all of them interesting and maybe convulated, because this doesn't seem like the writers would want anything simple.);

the supportive (and apparently psychic) best friend (again, so many ways this could go in, there could be conflict between the friends, between the mysterious vampire voice, and the shadow that attacked the couple in the beginning);

the slightly ditzy but very lovable other best friend (I think she may be one of my most favourites, I would love to see how learning of the supernatural world would affect her, would love to see her by her friends' sides as they find their way);

the brooding ex-boyfriend (though he's not so much brooding as sulking, I feel. It'll be interesting, the dynamics in these relationships.)

and then everyone else. So many characters are introduced in this one episode, and they're all so different and with so many shades to them, it could be hard to keep track of, but it's been handled nicely, and everyone is given just enough time to get to know them, and want to learn more about them.

Katherine, 1864

There is the matter of the photograph. Katherine, 1864 ' Elena's doppelganger. Are they related? is Elena Katherine? It's freaky, but it's obviously going to play a big role in the story or else there wouldn't be so much focus on it. If you've read the books (which I have, and loved) then like me, you'd have preconceived notions of the storyline. But I'm not going to expect anything, they've already changed a bit, so I'm going to go along with it and keep my theories to myself (for now, until I reach the finale at least).

Character intros!

Stefan Salvatore: I love the way they don't show him till like halfway in the show, to keep up a sense of mystery. If you think about it, they're kinda playing up to the stereotypes of vampires as mysterious and alluring, which I guess is what makes all of us coming back for more vampires! (Sparkling!Vampires do not count.) (A word of caution: Bhav is highly against Twilight, and will try her best to not insult it too much, but any slips must be taken with a pinch of salt because Bhav is totally crazy. Which can be seen in the way she refers to herself in the third person. She really must stop'*shakes head*)

Elena Gilbert: Elena's introduction is very much tied up with her parents' deaths, so this is clearly something of importance. I suppose the rest of the show tries to show how she moves on with her life once Stefan comes into the picture? I did NOT like their pehli mulaqat, though. Way too Twilight-y, which is so not cool considering we already have a Twilight and this is TVD and Book!Stelena were way better.

Jenna Gilbert: I like how Jenna's introduced as this totally flustered character, trying hard to be a responsible adult figure to Elena and Jeremy. She doesn't appear to want to take over the parental role, seeming instead to try to be the 'cool aunt', which works fine with me and with Elena and Jer, I would say!

Jeremy Gilbert: Cute as heck from Act One Scene One. (Or, well, Act One Scene'*counts* Three? Four?) You can't really gather much about him from his first scene (with Elena), though, except that he seems to be tired of Elena constantly (presumably) worrying about him. And then we find out he's doing drugs and he used to be such a good boy (again, presumably). Poor, poor baby'=(

Bonnie Bennett: Interesting how Bonnie's first lines are about her witchy ancestry. The Powers That Be (TPTB) a.k.a. the producers are making it clear from the start that Bonnie is a witch, and that defines who she is. Which upsets me a tiny bit, because I'd rather have seen the velociraptor sisterhood thing that Book!Bonnie, Elena and Meredith have, but I suppose she could have been trying to distract Elena, which is supported by the prediction she makes for El. So I guess we've got a different kind of velociraptor sisterhood!

Matt Donovan: AWWWW I swear I just wanna give Matt a big hug! It's so sad that they introduced him all sad over breaking up with Elena, although I suppose that makes sense, considering they kinda develop his storyline along his love life, what with his behaviour towards Stefan and his relationship with Caroline and all'If I'm not making sense, it's because I really have no idea what I'm rambling on about.

Caroline Forbes: Caroline's introduction was hilarious! They show her as such a ditz at first, like she's just another dumb blonde, but the development her character goes through, even in the first episode alone, is just awesome.

Vicki Donovan: Okay so honestly Vicki doesn't make a very good impression in her introduction. I mean, she's taking pills from Jeremy (Jeremy does drugs? OMG NOOOOOO! *dramatic wail*) and then making out with Tyler in front of JerBear. It just seriously sets her up to be some sort of'cheap, easy chick. So yeah, she doesn't make a very good impression.

Tyler Lockwood: Immediately we see a character who is a TOTAL jerk. I mean, there doesn't seem to be more to him than a tough, jerky exterior and a guy who likes to pick on people. So I quite like how as the show progresses, we get to see just why he's like that'

Damon Salvatore:

Admit it, you totally swooned when he said "Hello, brother" with that gorgeous smirk on his face. The way he so relentlessly aggravates Stefan, even from the get-go, blatantly, explicitly suggests that he loathes his brother. Not hate, but full-fledged loathing. He is portrayed as someone completely'psychotic'like, Drusilla-from-Buffy-the-vampire-slayer kind of psychotic, but at the same time you simply cannot tear your eyes off him. And the whole thing with Katherine, even though not much is explained, is clearly to blame. Which begs the question: Is Damon in MF to screw with Elena and torture Stefan as much as Damon feels (presumably) tortured by Stefan?

Okay, considering that B has like, gone into depth about EVERYBODY she could (I'm surprised she didn't bring up Mr Tanner too *rolls eyes* why am I friends with her again? Oh right, she bakes for me! [ILYB!don'ttakeawaythecookies!]) I thought I'd just add in a bit of my thoughts.

Did anyone else love how only Stefan and Damon got the foreshadow-y, mysterious introductions? I love how we see Stefan's back for so long, hear his voice, have Bonnie's stunned look at how he looks after she prays for him to be hot, and then only really see his face (though he's got stunning eyes, and that mouth! *swoons* wait, right, gotta stop fangirling!) when he bumps into Elena.

And Damon? *shivers* I was anticipating his arrival the whole episode. First, we have mysterious shadow-y figure preying on young couple in the fog. Then we have crows (CROWS! THEY KEPT THE CROWS!)           and then we have more fog, in the cemetery ' with a crow! (yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with the crows. Don't judge me.) where he semi-stalks Elena. And only after all of that, do we have his entrance, with his brother.

Foreshadowing of relationships much with these two? Stefan and Elena romance/attraction, Damon and Stefan angst-brotherly-frenemies? Funtimes are afoot.

Fave scene:

My fave scene totally has to be the one with Mr. Tanner grilling them on the battle of Willow Creek. He's definitely one of those people that you want to strangle, and he makes it clear by being a total jerk to Bonnie, Matt and especially Elena. So when Stefan pretty much disses Tanner's knowledge of his facts, it's a well-deserved slap in the face. That, and he totally steps in to save Elena. Stefan 1, Tanner 0.

Though I thought Damon's entry had a great impact, and just wow, well done with the acting in that scene, and the first scene with the attack (and the graveyard scene with the fog and crow and Stefan meeting Elena officially) was made really well, and acted really well ' my favourite scene of the episode would be the conversation between Caroline and Bonnie near the end, where we find out that Ms Ditzy is actually this really vulnerable and broken girl. It gave her a whole new dimension.

Fave quote:

My fave quote comes predominantly from Caroline.

Why didn't he go for me? How come the guys that I want never want me? I'm inappropriate, always say the wrong thing and Elena always says the right thing. She doesn't even try, and he just picks her. And she's always the one that everyone picks. For everything. And I try so hard and I'm never the one...

Like I said, Caroline is portrayed at first as this stereotypical blonde airhead. But even within the first episode itself we get'okay, well, maybe not character development, but an insight into her character. Her insecurities, her vulnerabilities. She's not as'unbreakable'as she portrays to the world. And I think that makes her a really interesting character.

Every quote in this episode (well almost every) was quote worthy. I thought Bonnie's 'please be hot' was perfectly placed, and Damon's 'hello brother' was delivered so well. But my absolute favourite would be at the end, the bit between Elena and Stefan where they have the conversation about whether Elena is okay. The honesty in her reply to him 'ask me again tomorrow', that sets this whole thing up for the epicness that will be there relationship.

Fave character:

Caroline, for the above reason.

I think, for this episode, I really, really loved Bonnie's character. We see her being this great friend to both Caroline and Elena, and to Matt, and we see this whole other side of her, where she's freaked out about being psychic, because she doesn't fully believe it. She's got this quiet, unassuming strength about her, that comes across very nicely in the first episode, and I want to see more of that in the rest.

Favourite storyline:

The Vicki storyline, now that she's been bitten, and still alive, would be an intriguing one, and the StefanElena storyline, and their burgeoning relationship seems like it would be a sweet one, and even Bonnie's heritage would be interesting ' but what I want to know is what is Damon playing at with Caroline? That smirk hints of evil and diabolical plans. I don't want anything to happen to Caroline, she's such a sweetheart and so vulnerable. I want her to stick around!

Fave actor:

Hands down Ian Somerhalder. He is Damon, each smirk, and the swagger, and the heat. He is the Damon in the books, and it would be so easy to believe that he is that way in real-life, all arrogance and flippancy. He just floored me.

Final Last Words:

I liked how for a pilot episode, this one quite seamlessly introduces all the characters and their little side-stories (although I think there may be WAY too many characters), sets up a sense of foreboding in so many aspects and presents the show as something dark. What I did NOT like, though, was the way Stefan and Elena's love story is presented. Having read the books beforehand, I honestly thought that their love story in the show was influenced way too much by Twilight.

I'd probably give it 4 out 5 stars.

Vicki saw the vampire? Will Matt believe her? What does Damon want with Caroline? One episode in, and we've got questions already. I personally think Matt won't disregard his sister, but won't know what to believe either. Logic states vampires and the supernatural don't exist, but his sister was just attacked. What would she get from lying, right? And Damon? I think he's going to use Caroline to get to Elena. After all, he did take Stefan's words as an invitation.

A great way to open up the show, I'd give it about a 4 out of 5. It was a nice blend of dark, and funny, and sexy, and mysterious. Each character and storyline was handled very well, and if the show continues to be handled like this, I think it'd become one of my favourites, up there with Supernatural.

And so we come to the end of the first edition of Mystic Musings! We do hope you enjoyed reading this, and we look forward to reading your responses to our thoughts, as well as anything that you'd like us to comment on in subsequent editions or what you want us to leave out and so on and so forth!

Please bear in mind, though, that we respect everyone's opinions, so let's try not to bash anyone, mmmkay?

Take care, and see you at the next edition!

Love,

Radz & Bhav (:

Edited by sourpuss - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
yay. it looks pretty.

(and the only reason I'm commenting right now is so I get emails when other people comment.)

(:

please comment other people.
-Nayab- thumbnail
Originally posted by: sourpuss

A very good day to one and all! Radz (Aradhna) and myself (Bhav) warmly welcome you to the first edition of the Mystic Musings, our (partly insane) episode analyses!

Yaay! Bhav you're back! ... This should be interesting 😆... Hey Radz! *Waves* 😃...

It's a little long, mainly 'cause the two of us had way too much fun writing this, but do bear with us and we guarantee you'll have fun! 😉...

I sure did 😛...

The colour scheme goes like so:

Orange will represent Bhav's thoughts, while purple, Radz's. We certainly hope you don't get confused, and if you do, we offer our sincerest apologies!

I wasn't confused 😆...

Without any further ado, Radz and Bhav proudly present...

In the Beginning

Episode 1: Pilot

Oooh Tongue... Sorry I'm a little hyper 😆...

The First Five Minutes

So Bhav's first five minutes are more the first two minutes before the opening credits.

Ok, What now? Tongue...I'm confused 😆...

And it must be noted that she is viewing this the second ' no, wait, the third time around. And she's finished the entire season, so she knows what happens. And why in the world is she referring to herself in the third person? *blinks* Moving on!

I remember you finished them in like 3-4 days right? Or was it a week 😆...

But then who wouldn't wanna watch sexy vamps 24/7? 😉 Tongue

I quite enjoyed the eeriness of the first two minutes, what with all the darkness and the fog and the sudden appearance of a supermegafoxyawesome'being'that we never get to see (except for the ring! AHA! A clue!) but if you've read the books you kinda already know that it's Damon, and that gets you totally revved up to see Damon's appearance'

I missed this bit 😆... I kinda tuned in when Stefan's walkin' with Elena on the bridge or before that Tongue... So it was great to read Damon's first semi appearance... Can't believe I missed it now *pouts* ðŸ˜†...

With regards to it setting the scene for the rest of the show, considering it's the pilot episode, IBO (In Bhav's Opinion) it sets the show up to be something really'dark'Okay, yeah, that's pretty obvious, but you know what, I don't care. *sticks tongue out**then remembers that she should probably be nicer to the readers, so offers up a conciliatory plate of cookies instead and slinks away to watch the rest of the episode*

🤣
What's a bit of crazy between friends? 😉... Normal's boring 😆...

The eeriness of the opening has got to be one of my most favourite things about this show ' most shows don't delve straight into the scary and freaky, they try to establish some fun and normal atmosphere, but not this.

Totally agree here Tongue...
But then I think the director/writer wanted to establish from the off that this isn't gonna be a typical 'teen vampire love story' type of show but a darker version of a popular genre... Basically not for the faint-hearted...

Am I makin' sense? 😆

Straight away, we have that amazingly sexy voice say he's a vampire, an eerie fog, a couple being killed by a mysterious figure ' it establishes that this show is not for the faint of heart.It's a very good thing I don't get freaked out so easily. If I had been anyone else, watching this show alone would give me nightmares.

When I first started waching the show (from the Pilot) I thought it would be basically a high school based vamp love story but boy was I wrong...

See, normally I'm the kinda person who doesn't watch horror movies etc because I really get freaked ðŸ˜›... But for some reason I LOVE this show 😆...  

Dissection:

The crow.

Holy cow I LOVE the whole thing with the crows!

You and me both 😆...

I guess the fact that we know it's Ian/Damon just makes us love it more 😉 😛...

Especially if you've read the books and know that Damon can morph into a crow. And it just totally lends this creepy vibe to the show, already giving it a sense of foreboding and stuff'

Yep definitely...

You know straight away that this won't be the kinda show that'll be light-hearted...

Special effects.

The vampire makeup here just blows my mind. It's pretty understated, for vampire makeup, but it's the understated-ness that makes it totally amazing.

Totally 😆... 

I'm so glad it's not remotely Buffy-esque (even though I love Buffy 😆)... This seems more realistic...

Love how their eyes go all veiny before their fangs come out Tongue... I find it damn sexy on Stefan ðŸ˜‰ ðŸ˜†... 

Vampires Have Descendants!

Okay so this is one thing I positively do *not* understand. Vampires are, by right, supposed to be completely dead and not have any bodily fluids left in them. So how in the world can Stefan and Damon have a nephew? And how in the world can Elena resemble Katherine so completely?

They have a nephew?! 😲... Don't you mean their uncle? 😆...

I know... I'm confused with the whole Elena/Katherine thing to it just doesn't add up... I thought Vampires couldn't have kids... So if Katherine's been a Vamp since 1864 how could she (presumably) have had a daughter/son... Who then carried on their line?

It's not possible...

I guess we'll find out as the Seasons progress Tongue...

Bonnie's a Witch!

One thing I really enjoyed about the show is that while the vampire storyline is dark and scary, the reactions from the girls to Bonnie's heritage is lighthearted. The way they make fun of her being psychic is realistic, because in this age and time, not many people believe in such things. Of course, when she does actually have her visions, they freak not just everyone else but her as well. I think that was handled really well.

Me too 😆...

It shows that the whole of the show isn't gonna be dark... There will be some 'normal' moments too Tongue... 

The Who?

The friendships and relationships in the shows are established very nicely in the first episode as well, and within the first ten minutes. We have:

the flighty aunt, relegated to being a guardian when she can barely take care of herself (come on, Elena was taking care of Jenna more than Jenna of Elena. I think it's cute ' it adds an element of fun, and easiness to their relationship);

When I first saw Jenna I thought she was their sister or something 😆...

She looked to young to be their aunt...

I love Jenna's character and the way she is with Elena/Jeremy... Like you said... It's cute Tongue...

the supportive (and apparently psychic) best friend (again, so many ways this could go in, there could be conflict between the friends, between the mysterious vampire voice, and the shadow that attacked the couple in the beginning);

Loved Bonnie from the first epi... Even though she looks vulnerable/naive in the start you could tell that there was something about her... A kinda inner-strength to her...

the slightly ditzy but very lovable other best friend (I think she may be one of my most favourites, I would love to see how learning of the supernatural world would affect her, would love to see her by her friends' sides as they find their way);

Personally, I didn't like Caroline in the first few epi's... I thought she was too... Self-important/stuck up... But as the epi's went on... We really got to see a different side to her and I realised that's just the way she is 😛... Like she has no idea she's doing it... Kinda innocent...

Know what I mean? 😆

the brooding ex-boyfriend (though he's not so much brooding as sulking, I feel. It'll be interesting, the dynamics in these relationships.)

I liked how they showed that there had been a relationship between Elena/Matt from the first epi and not a few epi's later Tongue...

and then everyone else. So many characters are introduced in this one episode, and they're all so different and with so many shades to them, it could be hard to keep track of, but it's been handled nicely, and everyone is given just enough time to get to know them, and want to learn more about them.

Completely agree...

Katherine, 1864

There is the matter of the photograph. Katherine, 1864 ' Elena's doppelganger. Are they related? is Elena Katherine?

That's exactly what i was thinking when we were shown the photo Tongue...  Although the is Elena Katherine one never crossed my mind 😆... 

Character intros!

Stefan Salvatore: I love the way they don't show him till like halfway in the show, to keep up a sense of mystery. If you think about it, they're kinda playing up to the stereotypes of vampires as mysterious and alluring, which I guess is what makes all of us coming back for more vampires! (Sparkling!Vampires do not count.) (A word of caution: Bhav is highly against Twilight, and will try her best to not insult it too much, but any slips must be taken with a pinch of salt because Bhav is totally crazy. Which can be seen in the way she refers to herself in the third person. She really must stop'*shakes head*)

Elena Gilbert: Elena's introduction is very much tied up with her parents' deaths, so this is clearly something of importance. I suppose the rest of the show tries to show how she moves on with her life once Stefan comes into the picture? I did NOT like their pehli mulaqat, though. Way too Twilight-y, which is so not cool considering we already have a Twilight and this is TVD and Book!Stelena were way better.

Jenna Gilbert: I like how Jenna's introduced as this totally flustered character, trying hard to be a responsible adult figure to Elena and Jeremy. She doesn't appear to want to take over the parental role, seeming instead to try to be the 'cool aunt', which works fine with me and with Elena and Jer, I would say!

Jeremy Gilbert: Cute as heck from Act One Scene One. (Or, well, Act One Scene'*counts* Three? Four?) You can't really gather much about him from his first scene (with Elena), though, except that he seems to be tired of Elena constantly (presumably) worrying about him. And then we find out he's doing drugs and he used to be such a good boy (again, presumably). Poor, poor baby'=(

Bonnie Bennett: Interesting how Bonnie's first lines are about her witchy ancestry. The Powers That Be (TPTB) a.k.a. the producers are making it clear from the start that Bonnie is a witch, and that defines who she is. Which upsets me a tiny bit, because I'd rather have seen the velociraptor sisterhood thing that Book!Bonnie, Elena and Meredith have, but I suppose she could have been trying to distract Elena, which is supported by the prediction she makes for El. So I guess we've got a different kind of velociraptor sisterhood!

Matt Donovan: AWWWW I swear I just wanna give Matt a big hug! It's so sad that they introduced him all sad over breaking up with Elena, although I suppose that makes sense, considering they kinda develop his storyline along his love life, what with his behaviour towards Stefan and his relationship with Caroline and all'If I'm not making sense, it's because I really have no idea what I'm rambling on about.

Caroline Forbes: Caroline's introduction was hilarious! They show her as such a ditz at first, like she's just another dumb blonde, but the development her character goes through, even in the first episode alone, is just awesome.

Vicki Donovan: Okay so honestly Vicki doesn't make a very good impression in her introduction. I mean, she's taking pills from Jeremy (Jeremy does drugs? OMG NOOOOOO! *dramatic wail*) and then making out with Tyler in front of JerBear. It just seriously sets her up to be some sort of'cheap, easy chick. So yeah, she doesn't make a very good impression.

Tyler Lockwood: Immediately we see a character who is a TOTAL jerk. I mean, there doesn't seem to be more to him than a tough, jerky exterior and a guy who likes to pick on people. So I quite like how as the show progresses, we get to see just why he's like that'

Damon Salvatore:

Admit it, you totally swooned when he said "Hello, brother" with that gorgeous smirk on his face. The way he so relentlessly aggravates Stefan, even from the get-go, blatantly, explicitly suggests that he loathes his brother. Not hate, but full-fledged loathing. He is portrayed as someone completely'psychotic'like, Drusilla-from-Buffy-the-vampire-slayer kind of psychotic, but at the same time you simply cannot tear your eyes off him. And the whole thing with Katherine, even though not much is explained, is clearly to blame. Which begs the question: Is Damon in MF to screw with Elena and torture Stefan as much as Damon feels (presumably) tortured by Stefan?

Okay, considering that B has like, gone into depth about EVERYBODY she could (I'm surprised she didn't bring up Mr Tanner too *rolls eyes* why am I friends with her again? Oh right, she bakes for me! [ILYB!don'ttakeawaythecookies!]) I thought I'd just add in a bit of my thoughts.

Did anyone else love how only Stefan and Damon got the foreshadow-y, mysterious introductions? I love how we see Stefan's back for so long, hear his voice, have Bonnie's stunned look at how he looks after she prays for him to be hot, and then only really see his face (though he's got stunning eyes, and that mouth! *swoons* wait, right, gotta stop fangirling!) when he bumps into Elena.

And Damon? *shivers* I was anticipating his arrival the whole episode. First, we have mysterious shadow-y figure preying on young couple in the fog. Then we have crows (CROWS! THEY KEPT THE CROWS!)           and then we have more fog, in the cemetery ' with a crow! (yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with the crows. Don't judge me.) where he semi-stalks Elena. And only after all of that, do we have his entrance, with his brother.

Foreshadowing of relationships much with these two? Stefan and Elena romance/attraction, Damon and Stefan angst-brotherly-frenemies? Funtimes are afoot.

Fave scene:

My fave scene totally has to be the one with Mr. Tanner grilling them on the battle of Willow Creek. He's definitely one of those people that you want to strangle, and he makes it clear by being a total jerk to Bonnie, Matt and especially Elena. So when Stefan pretty much disses Tanner's knowledge of his facts, it's a well-deserved slap in the face. That, and he totally steps in to save Elena. Stefan 1, Tanner 0.

Though I thought Damon's entry had a great impact, and just wow, well done with the acting in that scene, and the first scene with the attack (and the graveyard scene with the fog and crow and Stefan meeting Elena officially) was made really well, and acted really well ' my favourite scene of the episode would be the conversation between Caroline and Bonnie near the end, where we find out that Ms Ditzy is actually this really vulnerable and broken girl. It gave her a whole new dimension.

Fave quote:

My fave quote comes predominantly from Caroline.

Why didn't he go for me? How come the guys that I want never want me? I'm inappropriate, always say the wrong thing and Elena always says the right thing. She doesn't even try, and he just picks her. And she's always the one that everyone picks. For everything. And I try so hard and I'm never the one...

Like I said, Caroline is portrayed at first as this stereotypical blonde airhead. But even within the first episode itself we get'okay, well, maybe not character development, but an insight into her character. Her insecurities, her vulnerabilities. She's not as'unbreakable'as she portrays to the world. And I think that makes her a really interesting character.

Every quote in this episode (well almost every) was quote worthy. I thought Bonnie's 'please be hot' was perfectly placed, and Damon's 'hello brother' was delivered so well. But my absolute favourite would be at the end, the bit between Elena and Stefan where they have the conversation about whether Elena is okay. The honesty in her reply to him 'ask me again tomorrow', that sets this whole thing up for the epicness that will be there relationship.

Fave character:

Caroline, for the above reason.

I think, for this episode, I really, really loved Bonnie's character. We see her being this great friend to both Caroline and Elena, and to Matt, and we see this whole other side of her, where she's freaked out about being psychic, because she doesn't fully believe it. She's got this quiet, unassuming strength about her, that comes across very nicely in the first episode, and I want to see more of that in the rest.

Favourite storyline:

The Vicki storyline, now that she's been bitten, and still alive, would be an intriguing one, and the StefanElena storyline, and their burgeoning relationship seems like it would be a sweet one, and even Bonnie's heritage would be interesting ' but what I want to know is what is Damon playing at with Caroline? That smirk hints of evil and diabolical plans. I don't want anything to happen to Caroline, she's such a sweetheart and so vulnerable. I want her to stick around!

Fave actor:

Hands down Ian Somerhalder. He is Damon, each smirk, and the swagger, and the heat. He is the Damon in the books, and it would be so easy to believe that he is that way in real-life, all arrogance and flippancy. He just floored me.

Final Last Words:

I liked how for a pilot episode, this one quite seamlessly introduces all the characters and their little side-stories (although I think there may be WAY too many characters), sets up a sense of foreboding in so many aspects and presents the show as something dark. What I did NOT like, though, was the way Stefan and Elena's love story is presented. Having read the books beforehand, I honestly thought that their love story in the show was influenced way too much by Twilight.

I'd probably give it 4 out 5 stars.

Vicki saw the vampire? Will Matt believe her? What does Damon want with Caroline? One episode in, and we've got questions already. I personally think Matt won't disregard his sister, but won't know what to believe either. Logic states vampires and the supernatural don't exist, but his sister was just attacked. What would she get from lying, right? And Damon? I think he's going to use Caroline to get to Elena. After all, he did take Stefan's words as an invitation.

A great way to open up the show, I'd give it about a 4 out of 5. It was a nice blend of dark, and funny, and sexy, and mysterious. Each character and storyline was handled very well, and if the show continues to be handled like this, I think it'd become one of my favourites, up there with Supernatural.

And so we come to the end of the first edition of Mystic Musings! We do hope you enjoyed reading this, and we look forward to reading your responses to our thoughts, as well as anything that you'd like us to comment on in subsequent editions or what you want us to leave out and so on and so forth!

Please bear in mind, though, that we respect everyone's opinions, so let's try not to bash anyone, mmmkay?

Take care, and see you at the next edition!

Love,

Radz & Bhav (:

Ok, I'm too tired to continue this right now 😆...

I totally love your Mystic musings girls Tongue...

Will continue my comments later on 😃...

Can't wait for the next analysis 😆...
-Bee- thumbnail

Okay, so I love this. But, I have had 3 hours of sleep, so I can't comment. But, I love it. I'll be back to edit it more in the morning. For now, I few comments from my addled brain:

I love all the Tanner-Stefan showdown scenes, simply because I think Tanner is a jerk (who talks to his students like that. In contrast, I have angels for teachers!)

I wasn't too impressed with the way they showed Stefan's-Elena's epic love story either. It looked like they were trying too hard to make it epic, instead of simply building up their story and relationship.

I simply couldn't pick whose entry I loved more out of Stefan's and Damon's. While I was giggling the whole way through Bonnie chanting, 'Please be hot, please be hot' (boy, were her prayers answered) I found the introduction awesome. Or maybe, I just loved the stunned look on Caroline's and Bonnie's faces when they saw him. Damon's on the other hand, didn't have that much obvious bulidup (though his introduction was implicitly built up throughout the epi), but his smirk! And his eyes! And his voice! *swooooon* That 'Hello Brother' still rang in my ears even after the episode finished.

K. since I had to type that last sentence thrice, I'll be back to edit this later. Btw, this is completely unrelated, but Radz, I completely forgot you watched Supernatural! What did you think of the rather partly awesome, partly... disappointing...season finale?

*edit add 1*
I dozed off, but I remembered something I had to add. Although Caroline was the stereotypical ditzy blonde in the first few episodes, I loved her interaction with Bonnie that you pointed out, Bhav (I think, I can't remember which colour it was) It showed a bit more depth to her otherwise rather shallow character. But the one dialogue that made me really sit up and take notice of her was her reply to Bonnie's 'It's not a competition'. I expected they would simply pan to Caroline's face for a significant amount of time, so we could decipher that she believes otherwise. But, Caroline actually says, 'Yes, it is.' I liked that. Also loved Candice Accola's delivery there. 

K, g'nite again! Did I mention I loved this? Because I do! 😆

*edit add 2*
Anyway, yes I'm back, to prove to Radz, that I can get around to unediting. It may take some time, but I do it! 😆 Yes, so I also loved the eerie atmosphere. It plunged us right into rather dark theme of the show, and I was glad. I didn't find it scary, but I did like the boys in vamped-out mode. Good job to the crew there. I agree that it was subtle and effective. I also liked the fog and the crow, bit (and I loved Elena's whole Hitchcock rambling later. Hee!) Not having read the books before, I had no idea about the Damon connection, but it just bulit the atmosphere. I wish they had held on to that part of his powers later on in the series actually. (well, the poor crow was unceremoniously disposed of, but the fog!)

Of all actors, I agree that Ian Somerhalder stole the show, right from his first smirk. But, I was also pleasantly surprised by Candice Accola, and Steven R. McQueen.

Out of the characters, I couldn't really give an award to any single one, because the first episode didn't really draw me in. I loved Stefan and Damon in the Pilot. Elena grew on me a bit later. But, yeah, so my ranking for the episode would probably be around 3 - 3.5/5. Actually, I got really hooked after a couple more episodes, and after seeing the awesomeness of the coming episodes, I think moments like Stelena's first meeting and stuff could have been handled better. That said, the whole cast was pretty awesome, and so was the pace, so the pilot itself revealed a lot of promise! Kudos to the team!
Edited by -Bee- - 13 years ago
-dhruvi thumbnail
OMFG! Reserved.

So you know I didn't start reading the books till the first hiatus. So I had no clue what the fog/crow meant. It was a bit eerie to say the least and I would be lying if I said it wasn't intriguing at the same time. It was an awesome way to start the saw. So much mystery, loved it! Bhav I agree, I think the first half of the season set up the dark/horror genre for us. The scary music and poping up everyone. The second half everything like that left. No crows, fogs, mysterious but you know they are coming- vamp pop ups (mostly Damon). The funny thing is I get scared so easily, (well not watching but when I'm alone in my bed) and this didn't get me scared at all. Which was a miracle in short, lol. I fell in love with how it started like you Radz.

It's sad the crow will not be explained in the show or reapper because a crow is no longer a crow to me, it's Damon freakin' Salvatore. If I ever see one in my real life, I will grin like a big idiot, laugh at me IDC.

Don't get me started on the make-up. Best I've ever seen. I love it on all the vamps. But I think this is one part Paul does better than Ian. Look good veiny. *hi5s N*

I'm not sure of the vampire descendents either. I hope they explain this one soon. Especially E/K.

Bonnie, though she's my fave now, believe it or not, I barely noticed that girl in the pilot. Sad to say for a such a Bonnie lover. I thought she was very adorable, especially when she texted Elena about Stefan.

I loved all the relationships and characters, I loved what you guys said there! Yepp on the foreshadowing thing. What I loved the most in that epi was what Caroline said about her and Stefan's June wedding. I was ready to rebel cannon (because at the time I thought a Twilight-remake) and ship S/C.

Though I loved Stefan shutting Mr. T up I agree with Radz, Damon's entry got to me. 'Hello Brother' has never been said any sexier than this. From his entry on, i was *swooned* immediately. I could see no other guy like this (till later on I start to fall for Paul).

For the quotes, I loved all the Caro/Damon ones. And Caro was my fave character at the time. IDK why I always end up liking the biatchy looking ones first in all the shows in the start.

Vicki storyline was always my fave when she was on. I loved all that scenes with her.

Hmmmm... fave actor was hard, I can't remember who blew me aways the most with there acting. Skipping this.

This was awesome first edition girls, I loved reading your views. I mostly agree with one or both of you on everything. A few rare things were diff but we all agreed pretty much. I think this will be my fave part of each week. I'm quite jealous actually. I want to join! So I posted my reviews here! LMAO. I actually wanted to do something like this when our forum started for season 2. Because in KMH there were addas and I wanted my own and to call it 'Dhruvi's 2 cents' or something cool like that. Anywhooo, love you girls, this was awesome!
Edited by dhruvi. - 13 years ago
Rachu_1987 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww guys that was awesome....i loved it!!!!! i mean u gt everything....from the fog and the crow...to damon's "hello brother" ....this was really good...i am definitely looking forward to the next one lol
patakhaguddi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
~Basically you guys are amazing. Wowwwwwww. Love you.

Jaan
sourpuss thumbnail
Awwww! All the love! 😳 *is totally blown away* Radz and I shall get back to you dearies as soon as we can! Thank you guys for commenting! :D

Love,
Bhav :D
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
what Bhav said!

@ Bee: ohmygosh, I should have known you'd find this. you always comment on analysis' and forget to unreserve your spots for FFs. there are loads at mine where you've yet to edit! (yes, that is a blatent hint to get your butt moving to wherever and edit those spots!) and *hides* I haven't started season 5 yet so no spoilers please? I have this - thing - about watching SPN on my computer wherein I can't. I need the TV, and the surround sound, and midnight watching with my sister hiding her face behind the pillow. lol.