Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

shalini1323

shalini1323

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged
My friend just commented on another friend that if you remain "reserved" for the rest of your life, you are likely to become a "reserve" ..

Do you believe that quite and reserved people are socially and professionally "timid" and not as confident as those who talk alot n are more outgoing?

Is it right to always have an opinion about everything? Will maintaining silence equate to people taking advantage of you? 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "is it wrong to be quiet and reserved?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

my_viewMeena1

shalini1323

shalini1323

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
how abt confidence? Is it fair to say only outgoing and talkative people are confident ?

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rekhab25

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged
I'm quiet and reserved around people I don't know (I know hard to believe, right? LOL). I don't easily open up to people that I don't know or haven't developed an impression about yet. It takes some time, but after that, I'm pretty talkative.

I don't think being timid automatically signifies lack of confidence. Sometimes, people are very quiet and don't indulge in unnecessary chit chat, but they are comfortable being who they are - they are confident. Other times, some people who talk a lot and for no reason are very insecure. So, I don't think there's a direct comparison there.

As far as having opinion goes, I am a very opinionated person. And I, in turn, like conversing with people who are opinionated as well - especially when they don't agree with me. LOL Having said that, I think that there's always a time and place to share your opinion. I absolutely cannot stand people who butt in to conversations or places where they are not needed.

You can be silent without letting people walk all over you. Sometimes, people equate silence as a weakness. But it is most certainly not. Just because I'm not saying anything does not mean I don't have anything to say. My philosophy runs something like this - talk when you need to and learn to shut up when you need to as well. Stay on the middle path and you'll go far, tread too far onto one of the extremes, and you'll fall right off that road.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mister.K.

if i am in marketing or sales, timid is a no-no.

otherwise, most times, you should let your work do the talking for you.

socially, you would find certain sections disliking the talkative while certain other sections digging it. it could go both ways.  regardless, the ones who are around you are those who like you for what you are so it's best not to change your innate personality just to get accepted socially.

I'm an anomaly in that aspect. I'm one of the most quietest most introverted reserved people out there. I've always kept to myself, preferred to curl up with a book or nowadays a CPU than indulge in socialization. In fact most of the time I prefer to be alone.

However, I've always said introverted does not really mean shy or awkward. If need be I am very comfortable in socializing with people. Especially when it comes to work which involves customer service and interaction, I can open up and talk with ease. I've had outgoing social people in the workplace freeze up or get flustered with presentations etc, but I can stand on a stage and talk about a dot for an hour if need be.

I've always been mistaken to be shy or pretentious by most people since I never start conversations or reach out to people. I always wait till someone else approaches me. Although, those people who do approach me and end up knowing me often find me to be a very easy going, likeable, funny person. Definitely not the life of the party or something, but someone who is really sociable and likeable that its almost impossible for them to perceive me as being shy or introverted in any way.

My sister once summed it up best when she said "You know all my life I thought you were shy and introverted. But that is not the case. All my friends like you. In fact some like you more than me now. I think you are just an arse who does not like people" . It sounds bad, but I do have an aversion to people. Its not that I don't like people at all. I'm a very walled up person. And only those who care and find ways to break them down are worth my attention. The ones who break into the inner sanctum will receive my unconditional love and devotion.

So far its worked out well. I see no harm in being quiet or reserved. Most people are overrated anyways.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Monika__29

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top