IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 3:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by Mahi_Way

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

@Hiting like...I just hit the like on the orignal post,just noticed the winners.
As for you being careful of my "likes" LOL, it's your choice,although I only hit like if I read the post;)
And I'm glad to see the like for your post as wellTongue

Confused

You know, you should really consider asking Qwerty ji if you can borrow his new "i am a bunch of contradictions" signature. LOL

Anyways, I was just pulling your leg, you can choose to congratulate me, or to not congratulate me, or whatever ... totally up to you. Just make up your mind, woman! LOL
Gosh!
If I want to wish I'd wish you no matter what,and why would I not wish you?
What did you do to me,just that I didnot want to offend you hence the sort of reaction,although I can tell you're not offended but I seriously didn't notice your name if I had I would have congratulated you..being honest here:)

Achi baat nahe yaaar....!!! how can you miss her!! huhAngry ...very bad very bad!!!LOLWink

aww stop blaimg her...she was only following my guide, so blame ME for that!!

Im usually right in whatever i say, you see.WinkLOL

bold: you mean that, dont you?Tongue i know you didWink  it takes special calibre to be able to take notice of  certain people, they say. You certainly are lacking there.
I assume you are adressing to my post by bold,are you?Confused
 LOL I don't mind lacking that special calibre,hun coz I'm me unlike you I ain't perfectWinkLOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

krystal_watz

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debate Contest Winners (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 3:49am | IP Logged

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Achi baat nahe yaaar....!!! how can you miss her!! huhAngry ...very bad very bad!!!LOLWink

I don't remember hiring you as my spokesperson, dude!
I hope you got the answer,believe.

No ....!!! any plan to post more stupidity.....then plz dont quote lolLOL
I'd appreciate if you stay outta this coz this NONE of your business..Mahi..ye personal property thodi hey...Ye public forum hey..............!!so expect the unexpected .....I know  am stupid you don't need to keep reminding me that...thankyou. -- Dil pe math lo yaar...if u hurt sorry!! okHugnext time sure tume main stupid nahe bulavogie...har ek stupido ki kasamBig smile

souro

souro

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged
Congrats Cuckoo. I read only the initial posts and both you and Gauri had good opening posts. I felt you took the more difficult side cos in real life I think more people will tend to choose the lesbian mom in US because of the economic advantage. Good work.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Midnight_ShadeFair-n-luvlyMeena1

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 4:19am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

souro

souro

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 5:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by souro

Congrats Cuckoo. I read only the initial posts and both you and Gauri had good opening posts. I felt you took the more difficult side cos in real life I think more people will tend to choose the lesbian mom in US because of the economic advantage. Good work.

This is very true.  the lesbian couple's side was the easier side.  Economic advantage is what causes so many of us to migrate to the west.  No doubt that was one of the major pro on the Lesbian couple's side - along with absence of certain other dark rituals that are sp prevalent in India even to this date.  Single unwed mom from a small Indian town is indeed as tough as it can get as far as this debate goes.  No doubt there were barely any citations from that side.  Facts seldom support the emotional logic.

If providing citations was difficult or almost impossible for the side which would choose the Indian mom then I'll say that the choice of topic is to be blamed.

If the topic is such where one side practically has nothing to defend itself with and the other side has almost all the ammo, then ideally there shouldn't be any debate. If in such a scenario, someone uses emotional appeal to go ahead and defend and actually does a good job of grabbing people's attention (in a good way), then I'll say they have utilised their resources (limited as they were) very effectively.

Do I think such arguments would've been successful in convincing a diverse audience (as in audience comprising people from various countries) that being born to a single mom in a small town in India is better? Most probably not. It worked because most people here are from the subcontinent and felt good seeing arguments defending their country/ region. The likes of the people most probably got biased and strayed from practicality. But even then, the judgement of the side defending the Indian mom has to be commended because they successfully gauged the audience and arguments that will pull them.

So, overall I'll say that they did do a very good job even when the odds were against them and they had very limited space in which to manouvre.

Midnight_Shade

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Beyond_the_Veil

souro

souro

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by souro

If providing citations was difficult or almost impossible for the side which would choose the Indian mom then I'll say that the choice of topic is to be blamed.
I agree.

If the topic is such where one side practically has nothing to defend itself with and the other side has almost all the ammo, then ideally there shouldn't be any debate. If in such a scenario, someone uses emotional appeal to go ahead and defend and actually does a good job of grabbing people's attention (in a good way), then I'll say they have utilised their resources (limited as they were) very effectively.
I am averse to bollywood kind of appeal.  Still, I can see the need to use that when it comes to parent-child relationship.  Us Indians are very emotional and tightly knit on that level.  What I don't get is making a case based on cooked up stuff - like outrightly disregarding the bad law and order situation in india etc.  That, for me, was more 'arguing' than "debating" --- more of a circus than parade.

Do I think such arguments would've been successful in convincing a diverse audience (as in audience comprising people from various countries) that being born to a single mom in a small town in India is better? Most probably not. It worked because most people here are from the subcontinent and felt good seeing arguments defending their country/ region. The likes of the people most probably got biased and strayed from practicality. But even then, the judgement of the side defending the Indian mom has to be commended because they successfully gauged the audience and arguments that will pull them.
Bingo on bold part.  I do commend their efforts - I just happen to find ajnu's approach lot better than others on the same side.  She handled the debate with maturity and finesse. 

So, overall I'll say that they did do a very good job even when the odds were against them and they had very limited space in which to manouvre.
I think all the pros and cons were considered by Sarina.  May be this is why first place went to the emotional appeal devoid of much logic.  I may disagree with the 1st prize award but no hard feelings there at all.

Irrespective of the scope his side had, I feel Karan did a thorough job of forming and presenting his points.  We can not undermine his hardwork there. 

In any contest, there will always be some who will feel they were shortchanged.  Some come out winners despite losing and some come out as losers despite winning.  Deep down, we all know when we deserve a win and when we don't.  May be this is why we saw some lengthy justifications after the winners were announced. 

Personally, I only read the posts in the first couple of pages. After that I think there was a pause before others started to take part. I'm sure WA and Karan also did a good job, though I didn't follow that part of the debate, so honestly have no idea what points they raised.
I was only going by the announcement in this thread. Since, it takes guts to take the first plunge along with the fact that I liked your opening post, is the reason why I mentioned your name too.

Midnight_Shade

my_view

Goldie

my_view

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by karandel_2008

@my_view: I know its a friendly feedback especially for me. I respect that.

However, I think that the judgment is reserved for the judge.

Otherwise good luck convincing me that she hasn't read the text of all the persons and hasn't read the citations before commenting about them. I explained why I used the citations and, given her good experience (she is used to read long texts and not yawning like us) she must have seen the context in which they were used.

Thanks for understanding Karan.

My comments weren't meant to belittle yours or the judge's efforts in the debate and decision making process respectively. I was just expressing my opinion on the relevance or lack there of on the citation presented specifically the ones about issues with tribal single mothers.
Maybe I am the only one who cannot see any direct connectivity to the topic. If that is the case I concede the points I raised were in vain and I truly congratulate you for the diligent effort you put in to take the debate to the finishing line graciously.     

Midnight_Shade

Post Reply New Post

Go to top