Debate Mansion

Debate Contest Winners - Page 4

my_view thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Congrats to Cuckoo for winning the debate and to Karan and Ajnu for for being a good sport and making it a good debate.

@Sarina thanks for the mention.. I wasn't even participating with my blink and you miss post of my stand in that debate. I thought the debate kind of fizzled out when Gauri withdrew and after POH, Qwerty posted their views I jumped in as it became free for all to express their thoughts.

I also share in the opinion of others here who admire your abilities and effort in organizing and single handedly judging the contest fair and square.
I hope it is alright to write few thoughts on the course that the debate took and and its assessment and by no means meant to be a personal attack on anyone or their abilities.

- I completely agree with Qwerty that in the interest of readability and keeping the enthusiasm alive, lengthy posts should be avoided at all cost. Generally speaking people loose interest due to lack of time or boredom when the debate looses focus or goes into too much details about irrelevant stuff. e.g when debate started veering from the child's interest to parents LGBT rights etc or single mum's character assassination - it became a yawning time for me.

-Citations in informal debates are a big joke in general - no offense meant personally. They don't tell us anything we do not know already and the list can be manipulated by excluding ones that do not support the argument. In real life they hold as much interest as yesterdays newspaper.
Btw I am not sure if anyone even bothered to look at the list of citations in Karan's closing statement but upon clicking on few here is what I found.
The first 2 relate to Tribal mothers when it is clearly stated in the opening of the debate that it is a middle class single mum residing in a small city in India. Others in the list are about the civil rights of homosexuals/lesbians lifestyles mostly without much reference to the kind of adults the kids raised by such parents turn into while there is one that talks about India being the death capital.
I am not sure I agree with the judge's acclaim of best researched citations in this case.
Edited by my_view - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks My_view, Middy and Meena for the congrats!! :)

@My_view: About citations being a joke, they are needed for evidence and to show that we are not talking in air. I don't get the point about informal debate. Logic alone without evidence is just based on beliefs. Moreover while writing you can cite things easily as compared to while speaking. Thus, it is recommended to cite things in a debate like this.

About the first citation -- It is clear that I am using it to highlight the irony behind the law and order plus behavior of police. I didn't use that citation elsewhere when not talking about law and order. I can explain other citations as well and you have to see them in that particular context where they are used.

Other citations are from FBI, WHO, transparency, AMA and other well known organizations. They are not from newspapers.

However, I would have preferred to see your rebuttal in that thread itself and not here, at least for my previous posts if we don't talk about the concluding post. I used a citation in my previous post as well.

I liked your points in that thread and you should have elaborated a bit.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 13 years ago
congratz Cuckoo.

i would have loved to be a part of this contest , but unfortunately my exams and unit tests held be back from the Marathon.......next time i promise to be your co-winner up there LOLOLOL

BUT CONGRATUALTIONS!👏👏👏👏👏
my_view thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@ Karan . My answers to your post going up from your last statement.

Thanks. I posted my sentiments and thereafter the debate continued on with you and WA. Didn't think it would be appropriate to disturb the flow of the debate and also lack of time to officially participate in debates.

RE Citations - I am guilty of not paying attention to citations in your closing post until RTH highlighted it in this thread with her critical acclaim of it being "beyond outstanding". Since no one has mentioned anything about citations, I doubt it if they were read in context or detail by anyone who read your closing statement.

Again I wasn't debating with/against you and am not sure if anyone other then WA could raise objections to your points.

About the first citation that of a tribal woman- Irrelevant point. Different socio-economic groups in India do not necessarily share similar legal/financial issues. I thought it was clear that the single mum was from educated middle class with ability to earn a living. Why would police bother her for being a single mum when she is not a financial burden to anyone?

Yes I know the relavance of citation in a academic study with facts and figures but here in DM and VL it is more about what/how people think and view life as lived practically. I would give us some credit for having the awareness and knowledge of world around us and when it comes to raising families it counts more then any citation or study that tries to correlate itself as being the gospel truth.

Again unless you can present a study that supports clearly how lesbian parenting produces better adults than a kid raised by a single mum , I cannot agree with the accolades that were bestowed on you.
Edited by my_view - 13 years ago
karandel_2008 thumbnail
@my_view: I know its a friendly feedback especially for me. I respect that.

However, I think that the judgment is reserved for the judge. 

Otherwise good luck convincing me that she hasn't read the text of all the persons and hasn't read the citations before commenting about them. I explained why I used the citations and, given her good experience (she is used to read long texts and not yawning like us) she must have seen the context in which they were used.
 congratz to YOU TOO Karan baba!🤗
karandel_2008 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: krystal_watz

congratz to YOU TOO Karan baba!

Thanks Krystal 🤗
Congrats"cukoo ji"👏
And heartiest congratualtions to Karan bhai😃
Edited by Mahi_Way - 13 years ago