Debate Mansion

Debate Contest Winners

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Link to Debate Contest: http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1401117

Thanks to everyone who participated in the contest. My apologies to all participants and DM members for not organizing it clearly and efficiently like I should have. I have learned and hopefully next time around we can have a better turnout and better organization.

This has been long past due, but I appreciate all those who bear with me. Also Karan definitely did not let the extension go waste. First my assessment of the arguments and then the winners.

One point of confusion throughout the debate was if the lesbian parents child was adopted or conceived. This is why I clearly stated "BORN" in the debate set up, to clear up doubts if the child was adopted or not. As far as I know, no one really asked for this to be clarified, but just 'assumed' adoption. At the same time there was no mention of rape either. So such 'assumptions' on another side were equally incorrect. A very dangerous mistake of letting cultural assumptions setup the debate. Familial support in either case is also an assumption. Prudence would be in leaving unmentioned family out of the debate, unless bringing up good reasoning for the extrapolation.

Entries being disqualified

Qwertyesque - No opening statement or post clearly stating POV and argument. Only jumping in and dissecting others arguments.

POH - Randomly cutting into debate contest. Irrelevant participation.

My_View - Concise opening post. Unfortunately, no follow up posts or supporting evidence.

Assessment of contestants:

Gauri - I know you asked to withdraw from the contest, but I am just giving feedback because you were a relevant contender. Otherwise you are not eligible for winning at all.

Firstly kudos to you for taking the first plunge. In fact the debate contest probably would not have carried if you did not dive in head on. The opening statement was very well thought out laying a good premise for your side. You were spot on in addressing the issues raised by others and pointing out argument from emotion.

My biggest criticism is the lack of citation. Secondly, don't let the need to make a sound argument make you appear mechanical. Being to mechanical can create disconnect even with the most objective judges. Feel free to express emotion and empathy, but then slowly and carefully cast them aside presenting other relevant information to be more important.

Another suggestion is to know your opposition and address it right away. I think you may have held of not anticipating much participation. But the best thing to do is anticipate what opposition you will have and how you plan to address each of them.

cuckoocutter - I think you have single handedly launched the whole debate with your entry. You had a great opening statement that literally drew people into your argument. And your ongoing posts had the same effect. You raised great points about the value of mother and motherhood, struggles of the middle class and the value of society too.

However, on the flip side your argument was completely focused on emotions. Everything was an argument from emotion appealing only to ones attachment to mother, patriotism and pride in society. Such arguments make great political stump speeches, garnering followers, but really have no place in formal debate. Debate requires reason, and your argument would have been so much more effective if you could have backed up the emotions with some concrete statistics and logical counters. You did not address a lot of factual questions raised by other contestants.

Karandel_2008 - Honestly, now that is what I call debate. Truly a job well done. 👏 Decent opening. Very concrete coherent defense of your POV. Clearly and concisely addressed every opposing argument. You did the best job in raising questions and pointing out loopholes in the opposing argument. Your conclusion was well beyond outstanding. Biggest kudos to you to use well researched citations in your argument.

The problems with your argument was redundancy. I think you tended to repeat similar points over again. Also the same thing that I told Gauri, don't be afraid to bring in sentiments. Show that you are empathetic as well as reasonable.

*Woh Ajnabee* - Thanks for participating. More importantly, thanks for giving Karan some worthy  competition for the time and effort that he has put in.

You did well with your opening posts and closing. Your arguments were also coherent, well thought out and to the point. You did well to steer clear of the emotional argument or debating based on morals and values only. I must commend you for raising issues like hate crimes, and other relevant growth and development issues. You addressed many relevant issues raised by Karan and others.

On the down side, your arguments were not as well thought out or presented as you can. You really did not come strong on some of the points where you could have. You also lack citation. Something that would have seriously fortified the arguments.

The Winners:

The winners is based on my views as well as likes as we had earlier planned. I am also considering that Karan and Ajnu did receive extensions which others did not utilize.

First Place: Cuckoocutter

Your argument may have been emotional, but that did the trick. No one garnered as much crowd support, likes and following as much as you did. So despite lacking other aspects of argument, by sheer popularity with the DM junta and grabbing their support - you are the winner. I think you definitely did mothers and patriotic Indians proud.

Second Place: Karandel_2008

My personal favorite and to me the most committed, the most well thought and most importantly the only argument supported with citation and research. Unfortunately, I had to dock some points considering your extension as well as the fact that you could not get the junta to party for you.

PS: Maybe not junta, but you did seriously impress the Dark Lord. A lot.

Third Place: *Woh Ajnabaee*

For fully following through with the competition completely and presenting some good quality arguments.

Thanks to everyone who participated and supported contestants. Again I apologize for the mismanagement and also if you feel my solitary judgment was not the best. Next time around I will also try to get a larger panel of judges to get the best consensus decision.

Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Next time, please make sure you mention that public voting decides the winner.  These awards are a deja vu of all those reality shows where public made the average candidates win for all the wrong reasons.

For me, winner is Karan and Ajnu is the 1st runner up. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

There are two sides to every argument, but I don't have time to listen to yours...thats why I didnt participated..😉 Congratz to all.....!👏

thanks RTH for the feedback. i dint expect the honors, so this is all the more unexpected n comes as pleasant surprise. feedback fm others, especially when i m receptive to it, always helps, n i'll chalk this up to part of learning what sells with audiences/ what doesnt. :)

fwiw, i still think that following points might have been missed abt my presentation-

since u all r saying this, i'll go along with your belief that it had an emotional basis. but what i feel u're missing is that it pretty much wove other aspects into the equation too, something i recapped in my parting para- middle class being an equalizer, tolerance, hostility, support systems, one's quest for identity, liberal/ redneck areas in the usa... i even raised issues relating to complexity of relnships. custody rights that in rl, is THE dominant issue in these matters. i'd think family counsellors/ lawyers wld clear that up for us.

now this fm someone who got deferred admissions to the two top b-schools in the usa (some of which depends on essay writing; also deferreds r very rare), key to successful debates/ writing is NOT a regurgitation of everything one can think of. no one has time for volumes being presented. there's something to be said for brevity. even effective one-liners have been known to win debates. but then maybe i am talking abt real life, not virtual forums.

for me, there's no intelligence in throwing an unprioritized list of arguments each time one's asked to open their mouth. i find some folks here brilliant the way i think brilliance oughta be defined (even if i think they're cuckoo at times- kidding :))- qwertyes, souro, hindulife, empty etc... some of them r unconventional too. i dont read more into their rl personality than to just feel they r brilliant...

oh btw, i had effective rejoinders to other viewpoints i was thinking of making. trust me, folks had closing stmts i cld have tried tearing apart too. they took that opportunity, but i dint know if that was correct etiquette. also i cldnt be bothered because i dint like what was goin on.

that said, i found WA's presentation very effective- i'd put her up there. she'd have made the debate more interestine for me if she'd been on the other side. will leave my opinion of other presentations aside since i m wanting to be gracious n since i m no one to be making remarks of that nature.

sorry abt how this comes across, but i found a certain response rather uncharitable n wanted to tell it the way it seemed to me. strange there's never anything some folks like unless it's ppl or viewpoints of a certain nature. pls, this aint a personal attack, just that i find it strange n maybe intellectually questionable when ppl r that way, especially in virtual life. i dont mind saying for example that misterk pisses me off with some of his points (maybe i even enjoy gettin to him lol), but i still find brilliance in a lot of what he has to say. he makes me think. never told u i m a smart guy. but i think i m honest that way (unadulterated jerk if u will lol).

thanks again for a good debate. i was hoping to have some fun. sorry it turned more serious. again, appreciate the feedback. :)

ps- do i get a cpl of warnins reduced coz i was a good buoy? hey, just askin. :)
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Next time, please make sure you mention that public voting decides the winner. These awards are a deja vu of all those reality shows where public made the average candidates win for all the wrong reasons.

For me, winner is Karan and Ajnu is the 1st runner up.

lol really? now if that aint a surprise!!! lol

hey, just a suggestion- did u try convincing judges as much as u tried convincin folks on the debate? yes? hmmm wonder why most no one bought into it or saw fit not to buy into it so blatantly. lol

btw, thanks for being such a sport- i m just being mean now but i love it when ppl get so obviously pissed off. lol

all right, enuff kiddin. here's wishin u better luck next time. friends forever? i thought so lol

Originally posted by: cuckoocutter

lol really? now if that aint a surprise!!! lol

hey, just a suggestion- did u try convincing judges as much as u tried convincin folks on the debate? yes? hmmm wonder why most no one bought into it or saw fit not to buy into it so blatantly. lol

btw, thanks for being such a sport- i m just being mean now but i love it when ppl get so obviously pissed off. lol

all right, enuff kiddin. here's wishin u better luck next time. friends forever? i thought so lol

Pissed off - who?  Me?  Nah.  But if thinking that makes you feel better then be my guest. 

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Assessment of contestants:

Gauri - I know you asked to withdraw from the contest, but I am just giving feedback because you were a relevant contender. Otherwise you are not eligible for winning at all.

Firstly kudos to you for taking the first plunge. In fact the debate contest probably would not have carried if you did not dive in head on. The opening statement was very well thought out laying a good premise for your side. You were spot on in addressing the issues raised by others and pointing out argument from emotion.

My biggest criticism is the lack of citation. Secondly, don't let the need to make a sound argument make you appear mechanical. Being to mechanical can create disconnect even with the most objective judges. Feel free to express emotion and empathy, but then slowly and carefully cast them aside presenting other relevant information to be more important.

Another suggestion is to know your opposition and address it right away. I think you may have held of not anticipating much participation. But the best thing to do is anticipate what opposition you will have and how you plan to address each of them. 

Points noted.  However, on the bolded part - there was no other way to address "that" kind of opposition.  

In case that "that" is not clear enough - you can see their reaction to my thoughts above.  Not worth the attention they are so desperately seeking here.    
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks RTH for organising the debate and for the constructive comments.
Oh you know that my goal is always to impress the lady lord and not the junta ;)

I completely agree with your feedback. For example folks should at least first read the debate topic and twice if they didn't get it first time. They can even clarify some things from the organizers and there was a separate thread for it.

However, I did enjoy clarifying the topic (sometimes too much) during the debate. I liked it :P

I agree with the personal feedback about redundancy, sentiments, being empathetic as well as reasonable. Redundancy is a double edged sword, I use it to ensure that people get it the second time.

Thanks Ajnu, Gauri and Cuckkoocutter: without you guys I don't know if I would have participated :) Also thanks to my_view, qwerty, POH: I liked your points and hope you would have stated your stand (my_view did) as RTH pointed out.

Congrats Cuckkoocutter for the win! Its good to see someone taking India side and winning. Hope to see you a good bouy for more time :)

Regarding custody rights, I didn't reply for the moment because it is given in the topic that "father is completely out of the picture". Apart from that, I might have exchanged more points if you would have elaborated more.

Lastly, thanks everyone who was following this debate :)
baz786 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Congratz to the winners 👏

Well done to everyone who took part in debate 😃

Special shoutout to RTH for organising
the debate and the awesome siggies 👍🏼Edited by baz786 - 13 years ago
thanks too for the nice pic RTH. can i get a good looking devil of an advocate instead of the good lord guy though? dont want my personality totally destroyed lol