Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

koolsadhu1000

IF-Sizzlerz

koolsadhu1000

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged
So u have seen small town life in UP lotus8 .  No wonder u understood me .......The Thakurs etc from those kind of regions r nothing less than sicilian mafias in family mentality ..........they wont tolerate such glares , back talks and attitude for a single second is the blunt , bitter truth . No woman living there shud copy the lead is my only point as she will land in danger .

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

devila10--Hope--

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "For Pearl Grey : About Realism (Page 2)" in Pratigya forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lotus8

lotus8

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
Yes Kool Sadhu. To some extent I have seen it . Though I live in US but I am a  person who is always interested in knowing different cultures and religions and undertsatnding the personalities based on that. That is one reason I look forward to your mails doing psycho-analysis. For this show I completely understand your point of view and agree with you on it.  My interaction with UP life and the caste system existing there was very challenging for me as growing up in India, and reading about it I some how never realized its existence was so deep rooted. Found out later in my life and that's what attracted me to this serial as it was portrayed very well. However, the female lead character some how got confused in the creatives mind as it is far from the reality existing in UP/Bihar.

I hope more people like you on this forum come out with their opinions about Pratigya's character so that creatives could correct it to bring it to a real small town educated woman married with a rustic uneducated hunk belonging to a political thakur family who doesn't give a dime to social mannerisms and human values and how she deals with this real truth of her life for the rest of her life.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

ohiodamon_biteme--Hope--koolsadhu1000MERARAI

koolsadhu1000

IF-Sizzlerz

koolsadhu1000

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged
lotus 8

My mother hailed from a landlord family [ very wealthy , they owned a whole village] and i spent many summers in village in Goa . I have seen tradition , chauvinism , and belief in caste from very near . They showed this Kayasth Thakur controversy ............I have seen the Brahmin and other caste controversies over wedding proposals.  All the things that Pratigya has done .......like refusing to change name , sleep with husband , threatening to leave the house , bedroom secrets in open , constant bickering , wud land a woman in deep , deep trouble . Her maayka wud be ostracized by community and no one wud marry the daughters of that family . All her wins were possible coz the husband she thought was a beast constantly supported her and spoke out aloud in her defence at the cost of being labelled a joru ka gulaam by the chauvinistic rural community he lived in .He did this without shame , without ego . Yet he is branded as an egoist as he sometimes talks what his Dad does just for the heck of it while conversing with his friends . The truth is he is much more egoless than any normal man living in that kind of community . Life for the woman wud be hell in such a household , however spunky she is . Even the poor or lower caste people wud snicker at her coz in this ingrained value all are the same in such communities........that a woman who does not  have a proper marraige with her husband desrves no respect is the mentality ......of both , rich or poor , upper caste or lower caste .

I am not saying this is right or wrong I am merely saying this will happen in reality .

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

lotus8damon_bitemetvrasika--Hope--MERARAI

nikitagmc

IF-Sizzlerz

nikitagmc

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
Hi kools

Surprised to see me here? Actually I bumped into this forum, and now that I had come in, I thought lets see if Kools writes some sort of commentary here. Instead I ended up on this topic. Excellent post as usual.

I know somewhat a summary of the story, and I do not watch it (the 'reality' unfortunately is too too too depressing at the end of the day for me to handle- just my views- I understand many people like this serial) but your post was very nice about how Pratigya's victory is actually due to her husband. (such a nice thought this is). I think the day some character points this fact to Pratigya, that day she will start falling in love with her husband, so this won't really come so soon.

I agree with your idea that the lead should not be glorified to the extent that people start copying her actions without practical considerations. Unfortunately TV people never take this thing seriously.

Overall, what you wrote about reality and all was very sad, but it forced me to think and rethink. It is so sad to know that women in India actually go through this much. I know domestic abuse and all happen, but never had I thought that the situation was so horrific that women suffer daily- I always thought it happens usually sometimes cos men cannot handle their egos after fights or cos of dowry matters. It is scary to think that people actually live in relationships only for sex and all without any sensitivity for their wives AT ALL. If it was a villain (like ajit in PR) it wouldn't have affected me so much, but when you say all this happens in UP, Bihar, it is downright depressing. (I guess I am still a child in many ways).  I guess that is why I cannot watch this serial even if I try, (I tried at home) the way a few men have been portrayed in the serial absolutely scares me- as if mocking- see, this is the real side of men. Scary thought, hai na?

Enough of my ramblings. Sorry for those who got bored, actually couldn't help commenting on kools post. This is basically a general thought that came to my mind always after I came to know about sajjan singh's family in the serial.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

--Hope--MERARAIkoolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

IF-Sizzlerz

koolsadhu1000

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 2:23pm | IP Logged
Dear Niki Im so happy to see U here commenting on my post ..I urge u to see PRatigya.

I will answer u later coz Im leaving to go outside for sum work . LUB U .

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

--Hope--

damon_biteme

Goldie

damon_biteme

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
Hi Kools,

I wait to read your posts. Wonderful post and i do hope the creatives read this post and take a gud look at what they have been trying to potray since Krishna's and Pratigyas wedding. I agree it was good of the creatives to highlight the social issue but the solutions to those are far from reality. You said it correct the impressionable young girls can idolize Pratigya and make rash decisions like that. We seen people copy their idols.

After the wedding I was also expecting a similar things like the movie 'Mirch Masala'. I was expecting that the women of the house would get together to fight against the chauvanistic attitude of the house and that Ghanti Dadi would eventually join in too.

I think the creatives are confused abt the lead character. I want the cv's to show that Pratigya starts assessing the circumstances, situations, the person she is dealing with and come up with startegies to deal with everyone in the thakur family including her husband.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

tvrasika--Hope--MERARAI

an_jaani

IF-Dazzler

an_jaani

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged
i dont know what goes on in india.....never been to india but love the culture and tradition...never lived in a corrupt system...saxsena family most of the time are so helpless .....if this happens to a person( who isnt strong in real life ) i am sure he or she would commit suicide ..... but love this show it has some of the great actors in it

Edited by an_jaani - 14 June 2010 at 2:43pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

--Hope--

nikitagmc

IF-Sizzlerz

nikitagmc

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
Kools, this reality is scary. If I watch this serial, I may gradually end up drawing a wrong impression  of men from the 'reality' shown- it is psychological, cos somewhere these serials leave an impression on us.. You know, I like serials that give some hope, show some positivity- like Manav used to give me hope that there are good, egoless men, for whom love and respect is higher than carnal desires- he respected Archana and waited for her to get comfortable with his touch. (this is only about the beginning of PR- not the current mess, maybe right now I can give Satish's example.). Not very realistic but at least you get to dream.

Now Pratigya, excellent though it is- is very disturbing. It shows that there are beasts within men which are uncontrollable. And they freely abound in many places. When I watch a serial, I think a lot about it. And I really don't want to mould my thinking according to the men shown in Pratigya. Reading your post however was very informative and sort of eye-opener, something that will keep me warned about such reality, but will keep me grounded and not draw conclusions from what is shown in the serial. Hopefully, from time to time, I will keep hopping on this forum.

PS: I don't know if you all understood what I was trying to explain. My friends know I'm a bit psychic.. hehehehe

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

--Hope--koolsadhu1000

Post Reply New Post

Go to top