Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Now why why why that Baizmee woman gave out so many spoilers in the first four lines of the review??? Seriously!!!!! All these critics first and foremost need to go learn how to write a review and not a narration!!!!! GRRRRRRRR.

I want opinions! I don't want a story narration! Tell me sometihng that has struck you....tell me about a scene that intrigued you....tell me something that you felt and thought of as you watched the movie....talk about performances that YOU liked not Z is awesome X is great....don't just give a narration and a list of actors and their performances! 😡

Oh who am I kidding! Many of them just get favors to write these reviews! BLAH!
Edited by LifeOLicious - 13 years ago
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Just finished watching the first day first show of Raajneeti!

Will post a detailed review later! As of now, the film belongs to Ranbir Kapoor, who is so incredibly talented...and probably India's biggest star in the making! Ranbir has the least dramatic role in the film, yet he captures you attention with his expression's and body-language! The guys compels you to watch him without blinking eyes...an intriguing character played with aplomb by Ranbir! Hats off!

Ajay, Manoj, Nana and Arjun come a very close second! All of them are so good, that its impossible to say who is better than the other! Arjun surprised me once more after Rock On! And boy, does he look sexy in a Kurta Pyjama! 😳😆

Katrina Kaif is true to the character she plays in the film! A very solid and understated performance...I loved the way she balanced the vulnerability of her character with equal amounts of spunk! Also, her transition in the film from being a confident and cheerful girl to a quiet, young widow who is pushed into politics has been depicted quite well!

All the other actors are also unfailingly good....its a film that rides on performances and dialouges! The parallel to Mahabharata is excellent...right from the names given to the character (Sooraj for Ajay because he plays Karna who was Kunti's son from the Sun God! Brij Gopal for Nana who plays Krishna...Samar means War and that is Ranbir's name in the film...who stands in for Arjun, who actually was the centre point of the war in Mahabharata...and so on!) to the way the story pans out! Anyone who knows about the story in Mahabharata would not be able to miss the strikingly similiar parallel between the characters and situations!

Prakash Jha's direction is excellent...but the film could have been edited better! It is a bit lengthy, but engrossing nevertheless!

Overall, its a very serious and hard-hitting film with some of the best dialouges I have heard in recent times! I hope it does well, it really deserves to!

Cheers!
Edited by poppy2009 - 13 years ago
zaara.khan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: lovanika

None taken....

[/DIV
[DIV]I did mention Ranbir with Ajay, Nana, Nassrudin, Manoj...in my post (top line)

What I mean is in the revie no one is talking about the chemistry of Ranbir-Kat they all are talking
about the fantastic political drama by the senior actors and Ranbir....

That was the point we had from the begining that movie is going to be MUCH more than the chemistry....and reviews are proving it.....

What I am

Sorry I misunderstood
actually I m a Ranbir fan and I read all reviews of his movie whenever dey r out to see wat dry say abt him which most of d times is positive like in dis case so by mistake took u r view in d negative
sorrry
actually dey r very few fans of him and Deepika on if and a lot of d people criticise dem so I misunderstood
sorry again
btw hi I m aditi
Relda thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

For anyone who thinks Raja Sen is an objective, sensible and mature film reviewer, just check the following article of his, urging people to go and see the movie 99 (never heard of it?? Don't worry. No one except Raja Sen has done that) because.. He is the dialogue writer of the movie.

But, the icing on the cake was when Rediff published the list of Top 25 Bollywood films of all times, Raja Sen included 99 as one of best all-time greats of Bollywood? Beat that if you can.

Any film critic who glorifies a movie which probably had a total lifetime audience of 2 (because he had a personal stake in that movie)and disses movies like Lagaan and 3 Idiots is a joke and a disgrace.

99 not out, and nervous as hell

A little over an hour ago, I got a text message inviting me to a press show. This, as you might imagine given my daily bread-foraging job as a movie critic, is not an altogether unusual occurrence. Yet, today, it singularly was.

This is primarily for two reasons: the first being the ongoing producers-v/s-multiplexes strike, because of which Bollywood's been watching cricket and people haven't gotten films to watch in theatres and even Wolverine couldn't make it to India [ Images ] on time.

The second reason is more personal. The film in question is People Picture's 99, directed by Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK. It is a film I have watched last week, and one I cannot review. Not because the directors taught me how to play poker, but because it is my first release: somewhere in the credits yours truly will pop up and nobody will really notice, but a fact is a fact. Dialogues by Raja Sen.

Kumal Khemu and Cyrus Broacha in a scene from 99And so it begins. You can gloss over here for a quick look at my backstory -- if for any unfathomable reason you would be interested. And yeah, I'm genuinely nervous.

I'm not sure if you guys can relate to this, but it's an immensely disconcerting feeling to be waiting to read reviews on a Friday instead of writing them. And I genuinely have no idea which way the coin will fall.

So why am I talking about my film? Well, week in and week out we write about other films and get other creators to talk about their own, and while I am definitely working on getting Raj and DK to chat with you guys, here's a start: me, as part of the 99 team, telling you why you should book tickets at your local multiplex now. Like, really.

99 is a clever, wholly original caper film, set in the year 1999. That isn't the only reason for the title, as the film's protagonists -- like a lot of us -- have been through a lot but are still stuck well short of that final single to take them to a hundred. It's only one run, but it's a big one -- and the film's script is representative of that urgency. 99 may be a lot of runs, but the three-figure mark is something special.

As a cricket nut, Raj and DK's script also appeals to me because it takes an interesting look at match-fixing, and the 1999-2000 period the film is based in gives it a unique perspective. We look at a specific incident unfold in real time, even as we are transported back to horrific headlines and trauma that made us lovers of the sport weep -- just like our fast bowlers did. And this film takes us back there and revisits the scandal through the eyes of people like compulsive gamblers and tough bookies -- and roguish opportunists who wear cheeky grins.

Soha Ali Khan in a scene from 99Not that it's a serious film at all. It all makes sense, but this is an entertainer all the way. 'Part fact, part fiction, pure fun' was always the tagline, and the effort has been to keep it a fun ride. The decidedly peculiar ensemble cast -- Kunal Khemu [ Images ], Boman Irani [ Images ], Cyrus Broacha [ Images ], Amit Mistry, Soha Ali Khan [ Images ], Mahesh Manjrekar [ Images ] and the one and only Vinod Khanna [ Images ] -- is an indicator of the kind of film this is, a pacy irreverent film that changes its cities and motives with equal flair. And has a hoot while at it.

This is an odd piece to write, because it is by no means a review. Yes, I have watched the film, but I have zero objectivity on it so far, something that will probably change over the next couple of times I see it. Not that I can ever review it, of course.

So why then am I talking up the film? Purely because I want you all to give it a chance, simply because I have a massive gut feeling a lot of you will genuinely enjoy it. It's a fun, zippy film with a cricketing climax that gave me goosebumps simply because of the memories of the time it suddenly threw back at me -- and I'd really like to know how you all react to it.

So next week you can all play critic. I'm opening up next week's Senterfold for your comments, and the cleverest/funniest/meanest lines get to feature as you guys give 99 a report card. And I promise you, savage my film and do it well, and you'll see that comment on board next week. Tell us if you liked our innings or not, but just leave the pavilion and go to theatres.

A few of you out there like me, and I'm well aware you're in a minority. But my appeal to all of you -- haters and readers alike -- is that all of you at least give the film a shot before sl*gging it off, if sl*g you must. I'd still wager you'll have a good time.

Watch it, yeah? Cause the road from 99 to a century consists of a winning run only you can help us hit.

Thanks

Edited by Relda - 13 years ago
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Raja writes on the basis of his whims and fancies! I mean, one cannot take him as a serious critci! His opinion does not affect a potential audience! But his reviews are fun to read...in the sense that he is very bitchy and sarcastic most of the times, so its hilarious in its own way! But he is definitely not be taken seriously! I mean he is the same guy who rated Taare Zameen Par and Hey Baby the same! 😕 
I want to read his review of Raajneeti, which I know is going to be very negative, because he is not fond of Katrina Kaif at all! 😆 I loved the film, so I am looking forward to seeing what all he found negative about it!
zaara.khan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: poppy2009

Just finished watching the first day first show of Raajneeti!

Will post a detailed review later! As of now, the film belongs to Ranbir Kapoor, who is so incredibly talented...and probably India's biggest star in the making! The guys compels you to watch him without blinking eyes...an intriguing character played with aplomb by Ranbir! Hats off!

Ajay, Manoj, Nana and Arjun come a very close second! All of them are so good, that its impossible to say who is better than the other! Arjun surprised me once more after Rock On! And boy, does he look sexy in a Kurta Pyjama! 😳😆

Katrina Kaif is true to the character she plays in the film! A very solid and understated performance...I loved the way she balanced the vulnerability of her character with equal amounts of spunk! Also, her transition in the film from being a confident and cheerful girl to a quiet, young widow who is pushed into politics has been depicted quite well!

All the other actors are also unfailingly good....its a film that rides on performances and dialouges! The parallel to Mahabharata is excellent...right from the names given to the character (Sooraj for Ajay because he plays Karna who was Kunti's son from the Sun God! Brij Gopal for Nana who plays
Krishna...Samar means War and that is Ranbir's name in the film...who stands in for Arjun, who actually was the centre point of the war in Mahabharata...and so on!) to the way the story pans out! Anyone
who knows about the story in Mahabharata would not be able to miss the strikingly similiar parallel between the characters and situations!

Prakash Jha's direction is excellent...but the film could have been edited better! It is a bit lengthy,
but engrossing nevertheless!

Overall, its a very serious and hard-hitting film with some of the best dialouges I have heard in
recent times! I hope it does well, it really deserves to!

Cheers!

Hey thanks for u r review omg is Ranbir dat good!!?
Ii knew it dat he ll. Be amazing
data y I love him go Ranbir
can't wait to watch it till tom:
anupama chopras review. She thinks its average although the performances are lauded.

Review: Raajneeti
(Political Drama)
Anupama Chopra, Consulting Editor, Films, NDTV
Friday, June 04, 2010

Print A+   A-

Cast: Nana Patekar, Ajay Devgn, Ranbir Kapoor, Manoj Bajpai, Naseeruddin Shah and Katrina Kaif
Music: Pritam Chakraborty, Aadesh Shrivastav, Shantanu Moitra, Wayne Sharp
Director: Prakash Jha
Producer: Ronnie Screwvala
Raajneeti, writer-director Prakash Jha's sprawling portrait of a political family, is a mixed bag. The film has moments of ferocious power and just as many flaws.

The narrative has a propulsive movement in the first half but becomes dramatically inert in the second. Jha, who has fought elections in Bihar himself, creates a real sense of the machinations and sordid deals that fuel politics but then hobbles it with outlandish twists and some decidedly 'filmy' moments – like a ridiculous love-making scene that is triggered because the characters get wet in the rain.

Apparently getting soaked in Bollywood still equals sex. And, as almost all the female characters in this film find out, having sex even one time, still equals babies.

The performances are strong—especially Ranbir Kapoor, Arjun Rampal and Nana Patekar—but the characters are largely one-note.

There has been much hype about Katrina Kaif learning lengthy Hindi dialogue for the film. She's clearly worked hard but her luminous looks rather than acting are still her trump card.
Raajneeti is a film with ambition and scale but it works in fits and spurts. Jha's political epic is too busy and bumpy and never quite fulfils the potential inherent in the story.

Raajneeti sources as much from The Godfather as it does from the Mahabharata. So we have sets of cousins whose rivalry spills into the open as soon as the head of the family suffers a stroke.

The film begins with a back-story of Sooraj Kumar, the Karna-like figure played by Ajay Devgn. Abandoned at birth, Sooraj is adopted by a Dalit family.

In quick succession, so many characters are introduced that Jha uses a voice-over to explain who is connected to whom and what the political affiliations are. It takes a good 15 minutes to take in the details and place the characters but the story-telling is engaging and soon you're caught up with this Machiavellian family in which the plotting begins even as the father is still being treated by doctors. As the stakes get higher, the moves get bloodier.

Eventually, Samar Pratap, the Michael Corleone figure played by Ranbir Kapoor, the young brother who is working on a PhD on Victorian poetry, gets sucked into the murderous struggle for power.
Until here, Jha and his co-writer Anjum Rajabali tell the story with assurance and flair. But then the momentum dips and the intrigues become less and less interesting. Critically, Samar's conversion to a ruthless murderer isn't convincing. One minute he's the student and the next, he, like everyone else is trigger-happy with bombs and guns.

Jha even borrows The Godfather's famous severed horse-head scene.

Only here, a politician wakes up to find his male lover's throat slit. Sadly, the gut-wrenching twist, when Kunti reveals to Karna that he is her son and therefore warring with his own brothers, is not done very effectively.

For the true power and emotion of that moment, watch Shyam Benegal's Kalyug, in which the Mahabharata is transported to a business milieu. Shashi Kapoor who plays the Karna figure crumples slowly as he becomes aware of his own tragedy.

In its second hour, Raajneeti lets go of logic. We know that politics is an amoral, brutal cesspool but even so, leading politicians themselves murdering their rivals on a street in broad daylight is a bit of a stretch.

In a climactic shoot-out, we even have a perverted version of the Gita sermon in which the Krishna figure, played by Nana Patekar, insists on cold-blooded murder. Come on, finish them, he says.

Of course there is no one to root for in this gallery of rogues but more troublesome is the specious morality of the film. After a few feeble apologies, Samar Pratap finds a semblance of redemption.

Eventually then, Raajneeti is as exhausting as it is compelling.

Read more at: http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_Review.aspx?id=518&ShowID=550&cp

rating 3/5Edited by smarie pants - 13 years ago
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: poppy2009

Raja writes on the basis of his whims and fancies! I mean, one cannot take him as a serious critci! His opinion does not affect a potential audience! But his reviews are fun to read...in the sense that he is very bitchy and sarcastic most of the times, so its hilarious in its own way! But he is definitely not be taken seriously! I mean he is the same guy who rated Taare Zameen Par and Hey Baby the same! 😕 

I want to read his review of Raajneeti, which I know is going to be very negative, because he is not fond of Katrina Kaif at all! 😆 I loved the film, so I am looking forward to seeing what all he found negative about it!

I agree!!

Btw....I really like 99. It's actually quite good and really funny! It's not the usual OTT funny but really good. I was quite sad after seeing the movie that it did not do that well. Kunal Khemu is so good....but he doesn't sell unfortunately.
Edited by LifeOLicious - 13 years ago
gujunpyo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I Had actually liked 99😳
qwww thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
99 was a great movie. Just because a movie doesnt find BO sucess it doesnt mean it is not good. What I like about Raja Sen is he is not afraid to speak his mind and he goes against what is conventianally accepted as good. I dont always agree with his views tho but its nice to get a different perspective. I will be watching Rajneeti despite how he reviews it. I loved Kalyug Shashi Kapoor was really good in it hopefully Ranbir is impressive in this movie.