Honor is everything in India

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago

This write-up is with reference to an earlier post made by a member on honor.

Honor killings are very much part of Indian society. Recently it has come to forefront with the news of killings in Panjab and Haryana. Khap panchayats are seeking an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act which can prohibit people to marry within same gotra.

In the show they showed Channi was murdered because she was married outside her pind(clan). It is also a big problem because you cannot marry within the same gotra and at the same time you cannot marry outside the caste. And worse can happen if you try to marry outside your religion. Does anyone remember Rizwan ur Rehman case(murdered in Kolkata for marrying a Hindu girl)?

Actually no matter what happens it is always considered a fault of woman.

The problem is worse in the parts of Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and parts of U.P. The origin of the problem goes back to 10-14 century when Arabs and Muslims invaded Indian territories through kyber pass. They molested and raped women. To protect women from them the people started practicing child marriage and honor killings.

However, for honor killings you can blame old 'honorable' book Manu Smriti in which saint Manu laid down some guidelines for Hindus. A recent finding of scientist Gregor Mendal also supported this theory by doing an experiment on peas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel It says if you cross-breed the same variety of peas the end product is not so good. Read it in detail if you want to know more.

Though in urban areas the effect of caste is not visible, it is very much evident in rural and semi-urban areas. And even in big cities people do consider about caste, clan and gotra things when it comes to marriage.

Therefore, whatever they are showing is not completely wrong.

Edited by misty85 - 13 years ago
sadly honour killings have happend in Canada too, by the indian people living there. One girl had a white bf and her father killed her.
Yeah..i remember tht case..it wasnt too long ago.. happened here in Canada.

it was really sad. . .unfortunately...a lot of this stuff happens under the table..without anyone finding out.

yup...agreed with ya..

i think its extremly laudable that a show on television is trying to subtlely blend entertainment with a portayal of reality, a very dark, grave, reality at that.....it is covertly but effectively highlighting the face of society that most of us the urban educated folks are afraid to see or acknowledge....the grave truth that lies imbedded in the annals of rural North India.

another thing that i like that this show is all portraying it with the wave...i.e it makes no seperate or obvious attempts to preach or guive a message...it all goes along with the storyline- of how a girl becomes isolated from a family due to an ill-0ated bogus NRI Marriage and stands up to fight the injustice with the help of a miracle saviour- from the above it sounds like a typical masala soap....but the masala has blended with it a harsh and stupefying reality, a one that India has lately woken up to.

Hats off  to the Geet team!👏👏
Edited by krystal_watz - 13 years ago
hi my mother married a white man she was dishonor from her family
30yrs ago until now she never  went  back home again thank you so it happen in real life too my mum love this show she remember her old times.

It happens everywhere in the world because women have always been considered as a commodity. To deny it that it doesn't happen in western countries would be foolish. Women have always tried to fight for their rights and equality. And Feminist movements of 18th and 19th century for voting rights are evidence of it.

Now the situation is improving in the West because both men and women are getting education and more and more women are becoming aware of their rights. Besides this Human Rights organisations are also there.

Ironically in India, even educated people are falling prey to such violence which is very unfortunate and regrettable.