Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Are daughters short-changed by mothers ?

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged

Mothers think a world of their sons no matter how useless they are. Often some of these sons hardly give much to the parents and yet the mum thinks a world of them, and often has some excuse for them. Some mothers are pushing their luck too far.

Of course there are some sons and daughters who change religion and alienate their parents because they think that their newfound God does not like someone  who prays to a different God ( happended to my friend's brother who lost 2 daughters to Christianity). This could all be due to persons being brain-washed and set on wrong lines.

Faerie Newbie
Faerie
Faerie

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
Well, for the first part of your question, desi parents, for the most part, still hold on to the belief that it's the son that's going to support you in your old age whereas the daughter will just be married off and won't be of any use to you in the future. Therefore leniency toward sons and more strictness with daughters to ensure they stick with values taught to them after marriage. Probably so that they don't come back home, I guess.

For the other part of your question, it's possibly that it's the parents that alienated the children after they changed their religions. I still live with my family who are Muslims. Not strict Muslims but I don't see myself as one. I've told this to them and when they force their religious beliefs upon me, it makes me not want to speak to them or talk to them as little as possible. I don't have a problem with them just talking about it. But telling me I'm headed down a wrong path or whatever is wrong.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Faerie

Well, for the first part of your question, desi parents, for the most part, still hold on to the belief that it's the son that's going to support you in your old age whereas the daughter will just be married off and won't be of any use to you in the future. Therefore leniency toward sons and more strictness with daughters to ensure they stick with values taught to them after marriage. Probably so that they don't come back home, I guess.

For the other part of your question, it's possibly that it's the parents that alienated the children after they changed their religions. I still live with my family who are Muslims. Not strict Muslims but I don't see myself as one. I've told this to them and when they force their religious beliefs upon me, it makes me not want to speak to them or talk to them as little as possible. I don't have a problem with them just talking about it. But telling me I'm headed down a wrong path or whatever is wrong.
Mother and Daughter thing is not only a Desi thing but also in other cultures like the Chinese too.
do not know much about the Europeans, but my German friend has two sons and he is very attached to both of them. the mother does not show that much emotion but I am sure she is crazy and concerned about both eventhough they are grown up and have families.

Religion dividing families is all wrong; it just indicates how religion is misunderstood. Any religion that divides a family is all wrong. I rather have no religion and a family stay together and that itself would be true religion. Once a person is in the right no religion is needed.

luv07prida IF-Rockerz
luv07prida
luv07prida

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
today also v see many mothers more partial towards their sons
even though dey dont dont casre 4 thm

my oen uncle does nothing for my grand parents but stll my grandma
keeps him on her head n treats him like a prince
where as my mothern  aunt help her soo much
but shes never greatful enough to thmAngry
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by luv07prida

today also v see many mothers more partial towards their sons
even though dey dont dont casre 4 thm

my oen uncle does nothing for my grand parents but stll my grandma
keeps him on her head n treats him like a prince
where as my mothern  aunt help her soo much
but shes never greatful enough to thmAngry
Please tell your mum and aunt that it is not only them in this unfairness. I know several ladies who complain about the same; okay I do understand that ladies complain a bit more but even after discounting for all this there is always an unfairness( even in cases where the sons ill treat the parents ).
Some ladies even cry when they think of it; but I guess the same ladies too treat their own sons and daughter differently ? But fathers tend to be more level headed and in some cases they are cold towards all the children ( or love from a distance) and are unable to express their fondness.
Sometimes even among the sons a mum dotes on a certain child much more. I guess they just cannot help it.

SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:50am | IP Logged
Strange that women crib about status of women in the society and then end up perpetuating it.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 29 May 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

Strange that women crib about status of women in the society and then end up perpetuating it.

Well it could be like poles rejecting each other perhaps.
fathers do overly dote on the daughters too.
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged
Nope, my mom loves my sis more than me. Well, I guess it's more a sense of understand and payne of the male and female anatomy. Males tend to be more aggresive etc. Females are more down-to-earth, and homely etc. Therefore, a mother may tend to understand the daughter better. But, since the son is of tv opposite sex, there might be a motherly sense of love towards him.

Go to top