Nudity offends us more than violence, why?

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Why do we become ultra sensitive/uncomfortable publicly even if a tiny bit of skin show occurs in TV/Movies/Print media....we try our utmost to "protect" our children from it. Lekin when it comes to violence it simply seem to be cool with it....I would not let my kid watch "Dostana" (new) but I would not mind him/her watching Ghajini. In your face violence is fine but even itsy-bitsy skin is no-no.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Two words: Social conditioning.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Interesting topic SS. Well let's think about it. It's kind of hard to copy Bollywood's violence scenes and re-enact all the dusham dusham. 😆 but when watching all those actresses show so much skin, girls tend to get influenced and soon it becomes fashion.

I know you're talking strictly about nudity but a few days ago I saw a lady from India here on a holiday wearing almost EXACTLY what deepika wore in love aaj kal in the chor bazaari song. Similarily, every time we used to go shopping for Indian outfits in mumbai, all the salesman from pramanik would say 'Ma'am, Kashish (aamna shariff) ne yahi outfit pehna tha kahiin toh hoga main' 😛so people tend to copy a fashion trend more than violence so in a way it makes sense for parents to feel a bit scared that their kid is going to be watching girls on screen exposing most of their bodies. If that way my kid I too would definitely not be comfortable with them wanting to imitate some of the actresses out there. Sorry to say but some of them have no class and no sense of fashion at all! In fact I was watching an old juhi chawla vid from some movie and she dresses a lot better now than she did back then. There's nothing wrong if one can carry it off but loads just end up looking cheap and tacky. 🤢
Exposure to violence can hamper a child's mental growth more than an exposure to nudity. That said, both should be kept under control. But sighs...with internet at arm's reach, it's something impossible.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

Exposure to violence can hamper a child's mental growth more than an exposure to nudity. That said, both should be kept under control. But sighs...with internet at arm's reach, it's something impossible.

Funny you mention that cause a few days ago we were learning about Bandura and the social learning theory with the kids using tools to hit the Bobo Doll. One of the few interesting aspects of psychology lol

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdh7MngntnI[/YOUTUBE]

Also, anyone hear the story about the kid who saw a horror movie (I think scream?) and the next day went out and murdered a kid. I thought it was robert thompson and jon venables but I think I might be getting things a little confused? So basically the violent and gruesome scenes led them to take someone's life.
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Because truth hurts more than the fake things?

On a serious note, there should be some psychological reason behind it.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 13 years ago
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
You wouldn't be wanting your kids to be subject to nudity, I mean, it's something that's immoral, then they might ask that what's the point of wearing clothes, why can't we just roam around without them? They haven't attained that maturity level to think of nudity in a mature kinda way.....their little minds might be more curious, and nowdays, considering how sharp kids are, they might look up such stuff on the net and stumble across po*n.

Violence is also not good, but not something that can't be seen. Your intimate parts aren't shown during that. It might make the child a violent one, but that can always be rectified.

Sex and nudity always leaves a special impression on a child's mind, however.
'
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
because my friend nudity leads to violence... :) in the most practical sense.... its brings out that urge to be primitive... whereas you want your child to be agressive you dont them to be primitive do you? Still what i dont get why would you show your child ghajani..LSV should all be avoided for kids........ its your choice not your childs!!! Edited by qwertyesque - 13 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

because my friend nudity leads to violence... :) in the most practical sense.... its brings out that urge to be primitive... whereas you want your child to be agressive you dont them to be primitive do you? Still what i dont get why would you show your child ghajani..LSV should all be avoided for kids........ its your choice not your childs!!!

LSV?

About Ghajini, don't you think it has too many gory and violent scenes for a young mind?
SolidSnake thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

I know you're talking strictly about nudity but a few days ago.....

No, actually I did not mean strictly nudity....skin show (of varying degree) bhi tha.

BTW, jab bhi koi yeh bolta hai ki yeh family show ya movie nahi hai ya phir bachchon ke saath nahi dekh sakte...it usually means it features skins-show or double meaning dialogues. Kabhi kisi se yeh nahi suna maine ki yeh family ke saath nahi dekh sakte kyonki isme violence hai.

I think the main reason why violence is accepted and nudity is not is because violence = male and nudity = female....