Page 1 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 2 Page 6

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged

The census compilation is on in India and this time stress is being laid on getting everyones caste recorded so as to be able to get accurate statistics. But my question is do we really need to go on promoting the caste system? Then we complain when caste based rservations are doled out by the political parties ! The reservation system in education and jobs was brought about at a time when India had just attained freedom and its constitution attempted to provide some level field by favouring the  opressed class in order to give them a chance to improve and come at par. That objective seems to have been forgotten, the coming at par seems to be a distant or impossible dream with the divide getting wider due to vested interests.

Wouldnt it be better to do away with the caste system totally rather than fanning it all over again by including it in the census ? In the urban areas we hardly have anyone bothering about anyones caste then why does it still have to be perpetuated ?
Do share your views ! Not that there are many members left in DM ..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Shipra_S

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is there still a need for caste?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged

Well just because it is out of the minds of a few people doesnt mean caste system in India doesnt exist. In fact the caste based reservations are helping

In fact the college where I went to(and almost all over my town) for the first time in 60 years the OBC category closed higher in admission than the regular category, The SC category still closed about 20 marks below. . Higher secondary results are due out in a few weeks, check the stats and you will get a reality check.

Talking about Urban areas
Even if you look today, most of the slums constitute of people from the reserved categories

Yes progress has been made

decades ago people from reserved categories would not share the water or the land you walk on. Today they are able to come into your home, and clean your utensils and this is just in urban areas

The reason you have the caste system on census is to get a true estimate of our problem, this way atleast our reservation numbers are set according to population

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

The census compilation is on in India and this time stress is being laid on getting everyones caste recorded so as to be able to get accurate statistics. But my question is do we really need to go on promoting the caste system? Then we complain when caste based rservations are doled out by the political parties ! The reservation system in education and jobs was brought about at a time when India had just attained freedom and its constitution attempted to provide some level field by favouring the  opressed class in order to give them a chance to improve and come at par. That objective seems to have been forgotten, the coming at par seems to be a distant or impossible dream with the divide getting wider due to vested interests.

Wouldnt it be better to do away with the caste system totally rather than fanning it all over again by including it in the census ? In the urban areas we hardly have anyone bothering about anyones caste then why does it still have to be perpetuated ?
Do share your views ! Not that there are many members left in DM ..
The caste system was pretty dominant in the society half a century back. If it has been removed from the mindset of a part of it (read urban society), then something must be going right in the way it has been dealt about.
    Doing away totally with the caste system is not the solution . Doing away with anything suddenly as if it never was, always makes matters worse and the rebound always comes with a stronger force. The process has to be gradual , and steady; the work in this area- innovative,sincere and honest.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged

Caste based reservation may have helped a selected few . It wud be better to make facilities available to them rather than continue the practice of reduced standards of selection . While it may not be possible to do away with caste system totally I feel that a need is there to eventually stop the discrimination  on the basis of caste alone . Reservation can continue till it is felt necessary , but when will it be considered enough ? Wud ppl who get used to having concessions at various levels,  ever want it to be stopped?

It would be better to work towards removing the existing differences and getting them in the mainstream. Make good schools and job opportunities available in rural areas . Ensure that no social discrimination is practiced. There are laws against it but needs to be enforced & implemented .Making caste identification compulsory is going in the reverse . It is an attempt to retain the differences & not to reduce it.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged
I think its easier said than done --- we may say that the caste system no longer exists in society, but I think its a lot harder to change people's mindsets regarding the caste system. In fact, here in the US, I have come across a lot of people who make it a point to let others know that they are Brahmin. I doubt they are trying to rub it in, but its just the way they think and the significance of their ranking in the caste system is still of value to them.

Angie, main hoon naa! Why do you need anyone else in DM? LOL

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

xobile

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Yes, we need caste system and all its intricacies really bad so that we can still keep pulling my kids' legs LOL

I am kayasth and their dad is baniya. In Kayasths - offsprings of kayasth and non-kayasth couple are called "Khotey" where as if both mom-dad are kayasth - the offsprings are called "Kharey".

In Baniyas - offsprings of baniya and non-baniya couple are called "Dassey" where as the pure baniya couple's kids are called "Bissey".

My poor babies are khotey dasseyROFLand I love rubbing that in ROFL

Sorry for the divergion, Angie. In a goofy mood right now.

Interesting Baniyas. Caste is basically obsolete but still the world does need someone to do the prayers. But unhealthy class distinction could be the fault of the priests who claimed they ranked highest.

Dabulls23

IF-Stunnerz

Dabulls23

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Yes, we need caste system and all its intricacies really bad so that we can still keep pulling my kids' legs LOL

I am kayasth and their dad is baniya.  In Kayasths - offsprings of kayasth and non-kayasth couple are called "Khotey" where as if both mom-dad are kayasth - the offsprings are called "Kharey".

In Baniyas - offsprings of baniya and non-baniya couple are called "Dassey" where as the pure baniya couple's kids are called "Bissey".

My poor babies are khotey dasseyROFL and I love rubbing that in ROFL

Sorry for the divergion, Angie.  In a goofy mood right now.

Hey what a co-incidece....Me Brahmin and hubby Baniya...So my kids are also Khotey Dassey  ROFL.....Lord have mercy...Yes we are dasha baniya sub caste on my hubby's side...

Hum to such much me bahene nikli ROFL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top