Book Talk

A book that changed your life...

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

whatsername

Goldie

whatsername

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged
So, I'm sure many of us come across books that leave an impact for a long long time.Few of them even manage to changes our views and prospectives on love, relationships and life itself.

Name a book (or three, if you will) that has made the most impact on your life. Give a lil summary of what the book is about and why it means so much to you and in what way it has changed your life.

Let me start with mine.

5 people you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom

This book accounts life, death and after death of a kind old man. It is a simple yet a powerful and touching book.

After reading this book, my whole perspective on afterlife changed. The simple yet very convincing and belivable theory that- your heaven is the place where you find the most peace during your time alive and you meet the 5 people who has made the most difference in your life ( whether you know them or not). You visit them in their haven and wait for people to come visit you in your heaven.

Another hounourable mention is The Gargyole by Andrew Davidson - for reasons I dont even know myself, I found myself different after reading this book. This is mainly a love story, but not your typical ones, I love it so much, I find my self randomly thinking about it and even dreaming abt it sometimes.

Smile Smile Lets share and celebrate the books which have made a really good impact on our lives.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lola610

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A book that changed your life..." in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MrMonster

MrMonster

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged
I definatly love 'The 5 People..' Amazing story. Mitch was inspired by his Uncle Ed to write that... It was defiantly a life changer for me.

So was Agatha C.'s "Endless Night" something Gothic to make you believe that not all life is happy and joyful. It explains one of the natures of evil..

And lastly, would be 'If I Should Speak'. A very powerful book. nice impact. I really loved the effort from Umm Zakkiyya's part. For open minded people.

Those three books were, no matter how opposite they may be, the best books I read in my life. Not counting the Qura'an of course.

They changed my perspective on life.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Irisduplexwhatsername

_Ashy_

IF-Dazzler

_Ashy_

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged
Oh there are many.....

Khaled Hosseini series: Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Jhumpa Lahiri series especiallu Unaccustomed Earth

Calcutta Chromosomes

And I would say the Last Song gave me an insight of my own life.

whatsername

Jiah.Angel

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

ammygurl

IF-Dazzler

ammygurl

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 5:23am | IP Logged
I read the secret by rhonda bryne.. A completely inspiring novel...Loved the concept of self actualisation,.And the confessions of a shopaholic tells me not to waste money!
And oh, Chicken soup series are amazing.. It emphasises we all ARE one.,.no matter what country we live in, no language we speak.. there are two universal languages,, of LOve and Smile!
Loved them all. :)
Cheers..
Ananya

Edited by ammygurl - 13 June 2010 at 5:24am

whatsername

ILUVPREM

ILUVPREM

Posted: 13 July 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged
Under the Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey
my first one had 2 b the book about Reena Virk, an Canadian 14 year od girl killed by her own fellow teenagers at such a young age. This left an impact on me since I had once been bullied and had trouble making friends. But what left an impact on me was the tragedy for a family to lose someone they love at such a young age.

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
the 2nd book was the Last Song, this touched my heart on the issue of relationships. Losing someone and then living with their memory and accepting God's will.

The Forbidden Daughter by Shobhan Bantwal
the 3rd book would be about the reality of girl abortions' taking place in India. It breaks my heart maybe since I'm a girl and Indian but, this book brought together tradition, reality and questioned the fact that sometimes dreams have to be lead in another path in order to find your place on Earth.

And my 4th had to be the Blue Jasmine by Kashmira Sheth
- this book was amazing even if i was older the main character. It's about a young girl leaving behind her friends and family and moving to America with her parents and siblings. It's about adapting to someplace new but, remembering the people you left behind too. This book helped me get past the pain when I came back to India and missed my relatives.

Edited by ILUVPREM - 13 July 2010 at 11:55am

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged
Its not about the bike - by Lance Armstrong - its his autobiograpy and his struggles with overcoming cancer and then his comeback in his sport. This book taught me that giving up is never an option even when all seems hopeless

The second book is " Tuesday's with Morrie" - you never know how great an impact someone can make on your life, and what the important things should be. The last lecture is another book that did that for me

There is another book, that i read years ago and I can't remember the name now, but it was a true story about a muslim girl in jordon who fell in love with a non muslim, and how it was unfavourably viewed by her familiy as bringing dishonour on her family and her father killed her to sustain the honour of the family. The description of her killing haunts me. (she was stabbed seventeen times by her father)  - This book made me feel lucky that I was not born in a harsher society, that i am lucky that the view of women in my country is not the same. The book was written by her best friend who had to be smuggled out of the country (assisted by the guy who loved her friend) otherwise she herself would face a similar fate, because they viewed her as aiding and abetting. The story still pains me and allows me to be grateful for all that i have.

There are somany other books that have made an lasting impact on me but these are some of the major ones.

leeseunggilove

IF-Rockerz

leeseunggilove

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:41am | IP Logged
ok im nt a coelho fan...bt ever since i read BY THE RIVER PIEDRA I SAT DOWN AND WEPT..............omggg....dat buk made me question such deeply rooted questions abt spirituality....n d existence of a supernatural force.....gave me goosebumps...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top