Debate Mansion

Debate Contest (COMPLETED) (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 33

karandel_2008

IF-Rockerz

karandel_2008

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged
By the way, after there are enough participants, will there be transparent guidelines on how posts will be scored? Marks will be deducted for what kind of things?  Bad grammer, going off topic, bad logic, bad clarity, bad organization of points?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debate Contest (COMPLETED) (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged
I like Mister K's ideas for topics here ...

Originally posted by Mister.K.

Thanks Sarina.

Off the top of my head, I got a few themes. I could expand on these if you would like me to.

• Should terrorists have human rights? Should they be tried in civil courts?
  • Should we stop experimenting on animals including rats?
  • Should we always tell the truth? When is it OK to lie?
  • Is it good or bad for the society if people are spending too much time on the internet
  • Do you think there is a thin line between protecting the kids as opposed to spoiling them?
  • Are celebrities deserving of all that money when most people have to work really hard to barely make ends meet?
  • What measures would you take to improve the living conditions for humans on this planet, if you have reasonable powers and resources to do so?

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Okay, this is crazy. I officially sign myself up for the contest. DM needs some spark ... I'm willing to take initiative. :) I'd like an interesting topic, por favor and a good opponent. Karan's going on vacation, Cloddy probably won't be back for a long time, Sarina's not participating, Mister K's a judge ....so we need to find someone else.

If someone doesn't show up soon, I will volunteer someone myself. Tongue

Editing to say I'd prefer no teams, and a short contest. Its not fun when its dragged for a long time. If we get one started soon, I'm sure people will take more interest and sign up as well. We can have a short one to kick things off. I like Mister K's idea of judging --- as far as friends supporting friends goes, its bound to happen. So we'll just deal with it, no worries.

I'm trying to get POH enter too. I think he will enjoy some nice structured intense debate, especially with Karan and Ajnu. Maybe Cloddy can join too if he is around.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by karandel_2008

By the way, after there are enough participants, will there be transparent guidelines on how posts will be scored? Marks will be deducted for what kind of things?  Bad grammer, going off topic, bad logic, bad clarity, bad organization of points?

I'm sure Mister. K already has some thoughts in mind. We will make the scoring very clear.

I'm tempted to start a topic on the forum  - Why are DM members chicken to debate in a contest?LOL

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
@POH - The editing part was in the writing contest (not the debates).

I did not think of edits in debates - for we usually have freedom to edit posts in debates. Sometimes edits are inevitable. Edits have to take place within 10-15 minutes of a post I say. Edits cannot be made after your post has been addressed by opponent.

The no editing for the writing contest should stay. Participants will be given plenty of time before hand to finish their essay/story offline and post it within a certain time period. Once they have finished their essays/stories they post it and then no more edits. They have been given time to polish it - if they had mistakes - too bad.

Btw - if you think of people who would want to take part in the Debate and/or writing contest - let them know and ask them to sign up. Even if they don't frequent DM that often. I think it will be good for people who a nice debate.

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top