Page 1 of 33

Page 1
Page   of 33
Page 2 Page 33

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged
This being a Debate Mansion, the highest votes went to Debate Contests. Some have requested other writing contests too, so I have decided to organize both.

1) Debate Contest:

If you are interesting in participating in a debate contest sign up here. Mister. K already kindly volunteered to be a judge and as such he will be the Grandmaster of the Debate Contest. Participants will be divided into teams for the contests. Based on participation there maybe more than one contest. Topic will be assigned  a few days before the contest.

Mister. K do you have any ideas on how we will determine which team will debate from which side?

Additional judges are welcome, post specifying if you would like to judge the debate contests too.

Participants and members - how long do you think one debate contest should last. One week or a few weeks? Should give plenty to time to debate a plenty - but not stretch to long.

I hope to start the Debate Contest - towards the end of may/beginning of June.

2) Writing Contest

Due to some interest in writing contest, there will also be a writing contest. There will be two types of writing contest.

a) Argument - You will be given a certain time period to submit an essay on for or against a given subject.

b) Creative - You will be give a certain time period to write a short story based on the given theme and elements.

Again judges are welcome to sign up too. Mister. K are you up for judging these too?

PS: I will only be organizing, not participating in these contests. Smile

Edited by return_to_hades - 28 June 2010 at 8:14am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

U-No-PooBeyond_the_Veil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debate Contest (COMPLETED)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged

I agree that each person is on their own. However, traditionally past debate contests have been teams. I tend to view it like a high school debate/forensics contest. It can get messy with each their own, with sometimes the argument being lopsided. With team debate contest teamwork and the ability to construct arguments together counts. Also it prevents people from just picking and debating what they believes in and ends up challenging at least half of them to argue against what they normally would. For example having Karan argue why Kashmir should be independent and why Ice-Thinker saying why it should not. Wink

Writing contests I was thinking after topic is announced they will get fixed number of days to post. There will be a time deadline for their essay/story to be posted. Once posted there will be no edits allowed at all. I like the idea of 50% likes vs 50% judges marks. Also judges can also ask questions on the essay/story based on which scores will be based. Judges likes will not be counted. I'm tempted to increase the weight of judges scores just in case we have people asking their friends for likes.  

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged

karandel_2008

IF-Rockerz

karandel_2008

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged
If we are worried about friends liking their friend's essay, we can consider blind review. Voters wont know who wrote that essay until the end. (they may guess based on the writing style, but still)

Edited by karandel_2008 - 11 May 2010 at 3:01pm

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mister.K.

Hopefully we are not cooking a hundred dishes, only to find out that one solitary person showed up for dinner.

How about gauging the overall enthusiasm first before making heavy plans? At this point, I would wait for people to actually sign up on this thread saying that they are indeed interested in participating.

Bingo. There was a time when people on DM were enthusiastic about such contests. Not so much now. As OBJ said once, not many real debaters here. Maybe we should draft him on. LOL

Lets wait and see how many participants we have and move forward from there.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top