Debate Mansion

Slumdog Millionaire, do you think its is an allego

omani_guy thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
hi, this is my first post in india forums.

I think that Slumdog Millionaire play has some deep allegoric meanings deeper than literal meanings. Those deep meanings combined the elements of karma and dharma.

I would really like to know what do you think about my opinion, and I would like to have experts in the Indian traditions joining our discussions.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mubeenl110 thumbnail
Greetings to all members...

Amongst the films that amazed me were this Indian-centric film "Slumdog Millionare."
Let's discuss the film's theme. What do you people think about it, specially the Indians because it deeply relates to their culture.

As for my opinion, it is as follow:
Slumdog Millionaire is more than just a "crime-drama-romance" as it is described in the screenplay,,,
I think this story/film expands to be an allegorical Vedic (sacred Hindu writings) morality play combining elements of karma and dharma.

Note:
Jamal = truth
Prem = lies
Maman = evil
Latika = innocence
Salim = avenger

Q: what is karma?
A: it is a Hindu wisdom tradition stating that your future will be affect by your current actions. It is a mixture of destiny and 'what goes around comes around.'
Q: what is dharma?
A: code of conduct that you honestly stick to.

Conclusion:Because of Jamal's honesty and and 'pure love, all those deeds came back around in the form of the money award.

posted by mubeenl110 remove | edit

Examples to support my opinion:

1) As dharma states that what we do in the present has an effect on our future. We can see this in Jamal's actions (deeds). When he was young he invited Latika to join them the shade to stay dry. Then, he does his best to save Latika from the danger of Maman. Even when he lost her he insisted to look for her and save he from Javed's hands in the end of the film. finally, in the "millionaire" show he gets it paid back where all the questions are from his past that he clearly remembers.

2) Karma's code of conduct insists on honesty and that's exactly what Jamal did. During interrogation he said nothing but the truth and he was awarded by being allowed to participate in the show again.

I hope I see your interaction with this opinion>>> 🥱
omani_guy thumbnail

😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛

Edited by omani_guy - 13 years ago
So many newbies joining DM is making me curious... :$
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: omani_guy

😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛

Lage rahoo!!😆
omani_guy thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Believe

Lage rahoo!!😆

?? ???
???? ????
???? ??????? ??????
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Why the heck are there 2 similar topics about this?
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Okkkkkkkkk......there's nothing to debate here, it's just a proposal, so keep it up.
mubeenl110 thumbnail
Actually there is something to debate about...

Is it an allegory or not?

Excuse the reputation. It is a school assignment where we are supposed to get a feedback of this opinion which I personally believe in parts of it.

It's good though to get feedback from the dharma and karma readers. That would be very enlightening.

ThanksEdited by mubeenl110 - 13 years ago
no, its just an overrated movie.
Edited by gengarjetty2 - 13 years ago