Posted: 13 years ago
when i was watching yest episode...
i had a thinking...
does being a single parent affect children soo much??
or is it in the hands of the parent to give the best parvarish...

i mean we have 2 single parents here KK and badi maa(iam not taking radha bua into account as her son is not yet shown)...
both KK and Badi maa has done their best and given lots of love to their children...
we have Suhaana and Sanjana on one side...and inder and panna on other side...
everyone has their own thoughts...
so how much does single parent affect the child...
do you think if suhaana's mother was there she would have been a different person..??
to whom is it more difficult...a single father or single mother...

i have taken SGP as an example here...but i think the topic of single parency is also a main part of SGP..
but this can also been discussed in general...

ok this is my view...being a single father is more difficult as no one can give mother's love even a father...but a father's love can be given by a mother..when the mother is strong and practical...
iam not sure about the difference it brings on the child...but sure it will affect in someway...

do give your views...

Sanjana too had a single parent like Suhana and I believe both the girls had been equally pampered by their dad but I don't understand why the two sisters are poles apart. Both had lost their mother at a very tender age but Suhana's strange behavior towards life is just not justified. She was still not so young when she lost her mother but Sanjana was probably a toddler. Lack of a mother should have affected Sanju more, isn't it?

I don't think you can't compare the love of a father and mother. Parent's show their love in different ways. Also men and women are so different with their thinking etc. The bonds may be stronger but I don't think the love is stronger or equal between mother and father. A Father may not be overtly demonstrative...but there's no difference at all in love!

lovely topic dear

well agree with Ambrosia
par i guess being a songle father is a way t difficult if he has to handlr girls
just my POV
Single parenthood is difficult, period. A child needs the balanced perspective of a dual-parent home, which provides the child a wholesome and complete environment to grow and flourish.

But a huge CAVEAT to my statement above, having both parents is meaningful only if the the house is loving and nurturing. A child can really wilt under the pressure of family tensions, verbal battle or even abuse by one spouse. In such cases, its better that the child grow with one parent or even adoptive parents who can provide stability and a loving environment.

A single parent bears a heavier burden to raise a child. In SGP, however, having a joint family around you provides plenty of male and female members who can fill in the gaps in a childs environment and play the role of a mother or a father.

Suhana missed out on this because from what I see, she belongs to a nuclear family, which was composed of her parents and siblings. There was no one to step into the role of her mother, on her passing.

I have a theory about why Suhana may be acting out more than Sanju at the loss of mother. Suhana remembers her mother more and probably misses her more, exacerbating her pain and sense of loss. Sanju must barely remember her mother and may not share the same sense of loss. To Sanju, the picture of a mother might be  shaped by what her dad and her sister tell her, without having had the opportunity to form her own memories about her mother. This might explain why Suhana became who she is while Sanju is more balanced and centered.
Edited by serialjunkie - 13 years ago
Very nice topic.

What I have noticed is, children who have been brought up single handedly by moms without dads are more stronger, mature and practical, where as on the other hand children brought up by fathers are more pampered. This difference is maybe because when you dont have a father, children feel compelled to contribute and help their mom in managing the house and outside committments. But when you have a father, you dont feel you need to tackle any problems on ur own as ur dad will do it for u.

In case of loss of a mom, widowed fathers in most cases see to it that his children never sense the absense of their mom in their life and try their best to keep them happy with whatever resources he has, in most cases materialistic fulfillment. And specially with daughters, they need their mom more especially till they complete their adolescent period as they go through lot of physical, mental and emotional changes which only a mom can understand. Absense of a mom in the life of a daughter is definitely a big loss!

In case of loss of a dad also the child is affected big time. In many cases, women are dependant on their husbands, and once the husband passes away, they feel totally disabled and helpless. So they make attempts to single handedly raise children and deal with problems. If the child is slightly big enough to see their mom struggling, they learn to support their mom in whatever way they can. They start becoming more responsible and duty bound much early in life due to their circumstances and absense of a responsible family head. Thus life teaches them lot of things in their growing phase itself and thereby such children become more practical, mature & independant in life, compared to many of their age.

So you see, the loss of either of the parent affects a child's life. Both the father and the mother are important in their own ways.

But in case of Ishan's family, since its a joint family, the absense of a parent will not pinch a child more as there are soo many female and male members who generally satisfactorily fulfils the role of a parent, so that in the long run the child doesnt miss his/her parent much. Though the loss of a parent can never be replaced, but can definitely be substituted in such cases with a big loving joint family! When there is so much of love around in different forms (aunts, uncles, cousins, bhabhis, buas, etc) eventually the child will successfully adjust without having to face much emotional setbacks.

Edited by *dewdrop~pearl* - 13 years ago
@ swetha - 

As serialjunkie said, single parenting is difficult. There is no substitution of father or mother. Suhana would have been definitely a different person has she been raised by her mother. This aspect was beautiful shown in one of the episodes. It is a flash back of Suhana remembering one of her b'days opening her gifts... Suhana starts opening the bigger and beautifully wrapped ones first and  disappointed that none of the gifts are worthy. Her mom hands Suhana a small and ordinarily wrapped gift to try if that turns out to be something that's of interest to her. And the gift turns out to be a gold chain which Suhana longed for a while. Suhana's mom gives her a lesson that everything that glitters is not gold. What a beautiful way of teaching a kid...

During Suhana's bidaai, KK handed her an envelope. The content was very heart warming. Her mom writes how she should conduct in her sasural. http://autos-quotes.info/dm.php?id=xcyzzg_sasural-gendha-phool-16th-april-201_shortfilms. And she did not have an advantage of being raised by such a wise mother.

@ Ambrosia -
Sanjana did not remember anything about her mom at all... on the contrary Suhana remembered every detail about her mom. That makes it even more difficult on Suhana. So father tried to cheer her up with all the excessive pampering. You ,ade an excellent point; men and women are so different in their thinking.

@ dewdroppearl
You have very clear and concise thinking Appu. However, I would want to say that boys need their father in their adolescence just as much as girls need their mothers. It makes a huge difference in their personality.

I totally loved this topic Swetha. 😊

@shweta.... superb topic yaar.....i am enjoying the discussions in the forum.....

@dewdrop......clear and matured thinking.....keep going....

@serial junkie and @vish......agree with every word u said....

I have been a single parent for 9 years.....my husband had to stay abroad for employment purpose...Initially in my child's behaviour, i did not sense much that he missed his dad....but as years went on, he grew more attached to his grandfather....searched for a fatherly image  in him...sadly........as vish put it the right way...there is no substitute for a father or a mother... He has a passion for music and every time he would listen to the title song  "Kabhi alvida na kehna....." so often that i would get irritated and often tell him i would delete that song if i heard it again mockingly.... One night before my husband departed, he requested him to play the song and he just hugged his dad and slept the entire night ......This opened my eyes as to why he was so attached to this one song so much.... I had never heard this song from a child-father POV....but just a romantic number.....Seeing the mature thinking in him at such a tender age, i felt the pain he is undergoing and we decided to put up our family together.  today to just know the intensity of the suffering....plzzzz go thru the lyrics from a child's POV for a father.....U will understand what single parenting is all about....

Tum ko bhi hai khabar
Mujhko bhi hai pata
Ho raha hai judaa
Dono ka raasta
Dur jaake bhi mujhse tum meri yaadon main rehna
Kabhi alvida na kehna
Kabhi alvida na kehna

Jitni thi khushiyaa
Sab kho chuki hai
Bas ek gham hai ki jaata nahi
Samjha ke dekha behla ke dekha
Dil hai ki chain isko aata nahi
Aarzoo hai ki hai angarai
Aag hai kab aankhon se behna
Kabhi alvida na kehna

Ruth aa rahi hai Ruth jaa rahi hai
Dard ka mausam badla nahi
Rang yeh halka itna hai gehra
Sadiyon main hoga halka nahi, Halka nahi
Kaun jaane kya hona hai
Hum ko hai ab kya kya sehna
Neither a mother can substitute for a father (how much ever strong or practical she is....)nor  a father can substitute for a mother(how much ever caring or affectionate he is....)

To make a family complete a child needs both ......
Edited by laxmi_s - 13 years ago
@ vishmewell
Sanjana did not remember anything about her mom at all... on the contrary Suhana remembered every detail about her mom. That makes it even more difficult on Suhana. So father tried to cheer her up with all the excessive pampering. You ,ade an excellent point; men and women are so different in their thinking.

completely agree
Originally posted by vishmewell

@ swetha - 

As serialjunkie said, single parenting is difficult. There is no substitution of father or mother. Suhana would have been definitely a different person has she been raised by her mother. This aspect was beautiful shown in one of the episodes. It is a flash back of Suhana remembering one of her b'days opening her gifts... Suhana starts opening the bigger and beautifully wrapped ones first and  disappointed that none of the gifts are worthy. Her mom hands Suhana a small and ordinarily wrapped gift to try if that turns out to be something that's of interest to her. And the gift turns out to be a gold chain which Suhana longed for a while. Suhana's mom gives her a lesson that everything that glitters is not gold. What a beautiful way of teaching a kid...

During Suhana's bidaai, KK handed her an envelope. The content was very heart warming. Her mom writes how she should conduct in her sasural. http://autos-quotes.info/dm.php?id=xcyzzg_sasural-gendha-phool-16th-april-201_shortfilms. And she did not have an advantage of being raised by such a wise mother.

@ Ambrosia -

@ dewdroppearl
You have very clear and concise thinking Appu. However, I would want to say that boys need their father in their adolescence just as much as girls need their mothers. It makes a huge difference in their personality.

I totally loved this topic Swetha. 😊

Ur right Vish, both boys and girls need their dads & moms, atleast during their growing phase, and boys might need their dads and girls their moms to shape their personality and to gain proper understanding of their growing phases.

Edited by *dewdrop~pearl* - 13 years ago
Originally posted by laxmi_s

@shweta.... superb topic yaar.....i am enjoying the discussions in the forum.....

@dewdrop......clear and matured thinking.....keep going....

@serial junkie and @vish......agree with every word u said....

I have been a single parent for 9 years.....my husband had to stay abroad for employment purpose...Initially in my child's behaviour, i did not sense much that he missed his dad....but as years went on, he grew more attached to his grandfather....searched for a fatherly image  in him...sadly........as vish put it the right way...there is no substitute for a father or a mother... He has a passion for music and every time he would listen to the title song  "Kabhi alvida na kehna....." so often that i would get irritated and often tell him i would delete that song if i heard it again mockingly.... One night before my husband departed, he requested him to play the song and he just hugged his dad and slept the entire night ......This opened my eyes as to why he was so attached to this one song so much.... I had never heard this song from a child-father POV....but just a romantic number.....Seeing the mature thinking in him at such a tender age, i felt the pain he is undergoing and we decided to put up our family together.  today to just know the intensity of the suffering....plzzzz go thru the lyrics from a child's POV for a father.....U will understand what single parenting is all about....

Tum ko bhi hai khabar
Mujhko bhi hai pata
Ho raha hai judaa
Dono ka raasta
Dur jaake bhi mujhse tum meri yaadon main rehna
Kabhi alvida na kehna
Kabhi alvida na kehna

Jitni thi khushiyaa
Sab kho chuki hai
Bas ek gham hai ki jaata nahi
Samjha ke dekha behla ke dekha
Dil hai ki chain isko aata nahi
Aarzoo hai ki hai angarai
Aag hai kab aankhon se behna
Kabhi alvida na kehna

Ruth aa rahi hai Ruth jaa rahi hai
Dard ka mausam badla nahi
Rang yeh halka itna hai gehra
Sadiyon main hoga halka nahi, Halka nahi
Kaun jaane kya hona hai
Hum ko hai ab kya kya sehna
Neither a mother can substitute for a father (how much ever strong or practical she is....)nor  a father can substitute for a mother(how much ever caring or affectionate he is....)

To make a family complete a child needs both ......

Very nice post Laxmi, and you have expressed it also so nicely. Seriously, after reading ur post fully, it made me slightly emotional 😭. Your right, sometimes kids are more mature than what we presume them to be. And sometimes, they also do a good job of hiding their emotions till one day they might just breakdown and cry 😭...poor souls!

This reminds me, there are some songs which can really bring tears to your eyes once you finish listening to them, as the lyrics are soo powerful and can be implied to various situations other than the ones shown in the movie. Like, try listening to 'Chitti na koi sandees...' from DUSHMAN, if you get totally involved in the lyrics, I bet you will have tears in your eyes at the end of it 😭.